Author Topic: Ben Lennon [merged]  (Read 227123 times)

tony_montana

Re: Ben Lennon [merged]
« Reply #1740 on: October 20, 2016, 09:10:32 PM »
poorly coached my hairy arse.  peepoor excuse.  What happened with Markov and Rioli then, first year and they were able to cope and yet mister talent to burn looked like a rabbit in the headlights.  stuffing hilarious.

Correct

That article he wrote was cringe worthy and came across as rather narcissistic I thought ("A lot has been written about me in the media... etc.")

x3

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1741 on: October 20, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
I think he's a lazy prick and a bit limp wristed in his application. If you don't believe me just watch him throw a javelin.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1742 on: October 20, 2016, 09:48:49 PM »
Hates Dimma
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1743 on: October 20, 2016, 10:07:20 PM »
Hates Dimma
Yep.

Thinks he can't coach.

How preposterous! :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1744 on: October 20, 2016, 10:09:11 PM »
Hates Dimma

Has something in common with all of us then

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1745 on: October 24, 2016, 12:53:04 AM »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1746 on: October 24, 2016, 08:33:18 AM »
I think he's a lazy prick and a bit limp wristed in his application. If you don't believe me just watch him throw a javelin.  :rollin
I heard he has a great fence painting technique

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
My desire to prove myself: Ben Lennon (Sportsta)
« Reply #1747 on: December 27, 2016, 03:06:37 AM »
Saw this article from October. Lennon opening up about his footy career to date.

My desire to prove myself

Ben Lennon
Contributor Exclusive
Sportsta
13/10/2016

There’s been a lot written in the media recently about where I might - or might not - be playing next season and whatever happens, I’m already preparing for it to be the season I show who I really am.

The start to my footy career hasn’t lived up to what I planned when I was picked up by Richmond in the draft three-years-ago – and it shouldn’t come as a surprise to hear me say that’s been challenging.

So far my record shows I have played ‘only’ 19 games in three seasons, and I’m painfully aware there’s been more written about my injuries and setbacks than any on-field achievements.

However, I’ve learnt a lot from those 19 matches, the first lesson was the reality of footy. I’ve found out the hard way it’s a tough sport and anyone who pulls on the boots needs to accept injuries are part of the deal.

I’ve also learnt to appreciate playing the game. You learn a lot about yourself in rehab because it is so frustrating . . . there’s a sense of Groundhog Day in having to do the same monotonous exercises over and over and over . . . but the fact I’ve refused to give up ought to suggest to even the harshest critic I’m determined to make it.

Some of the guys I play alongside at Richmond have proven to be positive forces, especially Reece Conca, who has helped put things into perspective whenever I’ve been sidelined.

I’m grateful he’s always been available for our deep and meaningful conversations and that he’s also been willing to draw upon his own experiences.

Hearing him talk about his personal trials and tribulations allowed for me to see there’s light at the end of what’s sometimes been a long and dark tunnel.

As for Richmond, the club, regardless of what the future holds I’m so grateful that the Tigers saw something in me all those years ago.

Richmond has allowed for me to appreciate what it takes to make the cut. The coaches have – and they still do – make time for me and passed on words of wisdom that I know will hold me in good stead for the rest of my career.

The other day I was asked what I offer a team and my response was “vibrancy.”

Like anyone else I want security and stability so I’d certainly like for my future to be sorted out as quickly as possible.

Until then I’d like for those people who’ve supported me through thick and thin to know I’m training hard, and that it’s my every intention to be playing top-level football next season.

The good news is that I’m heading into the summer fresh and fit . . . something that I’m afraid hasn’t been the ‘norm’ over the last three years.

I’m using this time wisely, by working hard on a few aspects of my game the Tigers want me to focus on.

I’ve linked up with a sprint coach and also a personal trainer to improve my speed and endurance.

I’m doing a sprint session once a week, endurance sessions twice a week and getting smashed with a brutal cross-training session once a week.

While I finish most days feeling knackered I’m pleased to say I feel a sense of enormous satisfaction in knowing that physically I’m getting to the level where I want to be.

Something that makes me dig deep during each of these sessions is knowing how much I want to play in the AFL.

I’m motivated to keep going when it’d be so easy to give up because, fitness-wise, this is the first opportunity I’ve ever had to catch up to the other players.

You see, I’m excited to think I might be able to show everyone what I’m capable of with a full pre-season under my belt.

The other day I was asked what I offer a team and my response was “vibrancy.” I’m only 21, one of my strengths is that I can get around the team. I believe I’m skilful and know that I can definitely make things happen at centre-forward.

From having to bounce back from the setback of injuries, and from being hammered in these extra fitness sessions I’m doing I also realise I have an insatiable desire to prove myself as a consistent performer in the AFL.

I’m putting my best foot forward for 2017 - and beyond - I see this as the beginning of my career and I am putting in the hard yards to ensure I’ll be ready for it.

- Ben Lennon, exclusively for Sportsta.

https://www.sportsta.me/afl/2016/10/13/my-desire-to-prove-myself/

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1748 on: December 28, 2016, 07:00:34 AM »
Good he might have pulled his finger out.
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1749 on: December 28, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
Good he might have pulled his finger out.

As a columnist?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1750 on: December 28, 2016, 01:51:57 PM »
yes
Lots of people name their swords......

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Lennon wants to establish himself as a Richmond player (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1751 on: January 02, 2017, 03:32:31 AM »
Ben Lennon wants to establish himself as a Richmond player after requesting a trade

Michael Warner,
Herald Sun
January 2, 2017

BEN Lennon requested a trade out of Richmond at the end of the season, but the phone never rang.

For a first-round draft pick once rated higher than his TAC Cup teammate Marcus Bontempelli, it was a sobering experience.

“It was a weird time,” Lennon, 21, reflected this week.

“I was away with (teammate) Kamdyn McIntosh in America and I was always thinking about it — where am I going to be?

“My manager (Anthony McConville) rang me up and said: ‘Look mate, it’s not looking likely that you’ll be able to go’.

“I sort of thought, I better get my head around this. It might be a little bit awkward.”

Injuries and a bout of glandular fever haven’t helped, but Lennon is the first to admit his AFL journey so far hasn’t been what he expected.

“I didn’t think that it would pan out the way it has,” he says.

“But all good sportsmen go through hard things ... so I’ve got to look at it like that and work as hard as I can to hopefully become the player that I think I can be.”

Lennon’s talent has never been questioned, but rival recruiters did query his work ethic.

He’s managed just 19 senior games across three seasons on the Tigers’ list.

Some hard truths were delivered when Lennon met coach Damien Hardwick for his end-of-season exit interview.

“We sat down and he just sort of said that he thought it might be a good idea if I look elsewhere, like he thinks I’ll be a player but, you know, if you think it’s in your best interests to look around, then try and do that,” Lennon said.

It sort of just clicked that if I don’t do something about my career, it’s going to be gone.

- Ben Lennon

“I knew that it might be a good option to look elsewhere, but ... hearing it from the head coach that you might not be in the plan is initially a bit hard to take.

“I remember just asking him where did I best suit the team? It’s not that he couldn’t give me an answer, it’s just that I felt like I might be able to get a better opportunity at a different club.”

It wasn’t the first time Hardwick had delivered tough news.

After stringing together eight consecutive games, including a three-goal return against St Kilda, Lennon was dropped unexpectedly for the 2014 elimination final against North Melbourne.

“I guess it does look like a part of the pattern — I’ve had a few ups and downs since I’ve been here,” he says.

Was that the lowest moment of his career?

“I think so — I played eight or nine games in a row and it would have been the biggest game I would have played in.

“Thinking you are going to be playing and all of a sudden you are in the stands — it was a pretty hard time.”

But with just one season left on his contract, Lennon gives the impression the penny has dropped.

He hired a private sprint coach after the trade period fiasco and returned to the club in the best shape of his life.

“Over the break, especially when I didn’t get a trade, it sort of just clicked that if I don’t do something about my career, it’s going to be gone,” he says.

“This is as good as I’ve felt in the four years that I’ve been the club ... and my mindset has helped as well.”

The only thing I can do now is work as hard as I can and play the footy that the club probably expects.

- Ben Lennon

He’s struck up a bond with returned assistant coach Justin Leppitsch.

“I tend to think about things a lot and he’s just told me to just play the game and play on instincts,” he says of the former Brisbane coach.

“He reckons I’ve got the talent and that if I can work hard on my deficiencies and let my strengths do the talking, I’ll be right.

“It gives me good confidence that someone up above — along with Dimma — is hopefully going to back me in.”

Does he have doubts?

“I don’t think it’s doubts, it’s more frustration in that I haven’t been able to show what I can do.

“But at times I do sort of think, ‘Oh s---, I should be starting to put some games together’.

“The coach got into contact with me (after the trade period) and just said he will do everything he can to make me a player and gave me confidence that I’m still a required player.

“The only thing I can do now is work as hard as I can and play the footy that the club probably expects.”

The sudden departure of Chris Yarran was another eye-opener.

“It definitely puts life into perspective,” Lennon says.

“It’s never easy seeing someone give away the game, especially someone like Chris, who is so talented and plays such good footy when he’s up and about.

“It was tough and I guess we don’t know the extent of everything he was going through.

“He was a pretty private person — it was hard because you didn’t know whether to put your arm around him or just let him work it out himself.

“That’s one of the things we have identified that we need to get better at — telling people when you are struggling — because everyone can relate to it at a footy club.”

Lennon has been training as a high half-forward, pinch-hitting in the midfield, and says the arrival of new players like Josh Caddy and Dion Prestia has changed the dynamic.

“Without any disrespect to people who were here last year, it just feels like the vibe around the club is really good,” he says.

“We’ve got a young list and that just gives you excitement.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/ben-lennon-wants-to-establish-himself-as-a-richmond-player-after-requesting-a-trade/news-story/76c51b374b5b19df8f0926cb32015452

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1752 on: January 02, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »
This guy still around is he?

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1753 on: January 02, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »
As tough as a soggy flamonge

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1754 on: January 05, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »
I'd prefer to watch footy with this kid playing than Grigg, Houli, Hampson and Hunt.