Author Topic: Hardwick's next contract discussion [merged]  (Read 14132 times)

dwaino

Re: No heat on Tiger coach Damien Hardwick (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 09:13:40 PM »
Clarkson on "On the Couch" rated Dimma and reckons he can see some future and stability at the Tigers for the first time in yonks. He encouraged the club to extend Dimma's contract already so we don't have the same press hovering our club like it did his last season.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers must sew up Hardwick: Clarkson (AAP)
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:20 PM »
AFL's Tigers must sew up coach: Clarkson
Sam Lienert
AAP
February 28, 2012

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson says Richmond risk having the contract status of his Tigers counterpart Damien Hardwick becoming a distraction if they don't quickly re-sign him.

Hardwick, an assistant to Clarkson when the Hawks won their most recent AFL premiership, in 2008, is entering the final season of a three-year deal to coach the Tigers.

The Richmond coach guided the club to 15th in his first season and 12th last year.

Tigers president Gary March said recently the club was pleased with what Hardwick has done over his first two years, but declined to say when they will consider extending his contract.

But Clarkson said with Richmond finally appearing stable at board and administrative level, as well as their football department, they should act quickly to shore up Hardwick's future.

"They'll be crazy if they don't reappoint him and reappoint him soon," Clarkson told Fox Footy on Monday night.

"For the first time, I feel, Richmond have got some stability in their club.

"Just make the appointment."

Clarkson, who was made to wait before being handed a new three-year deal by Hawthorn late last season, said he knew first-hand the distraction such a delay could cause.

"The uneasiness we went through last year as a footy club, it does disturb the way you go about your business," he said.

"The sooner those sort of things can happen (the better).

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/13031744/afls-tigers-sew-coach-clarkson/

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers must sew up Hardwick: Clarkson (AAP)
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »
I agree.

Back the bloke and give him 2 years.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:22 PM »
I reckon the Hawks were mad not to sign Clarkson last season as he was a proven premiership coach and was still leading them into finals.

Dimma is not proven but he is Clarko's mate and Richmond are Alistair's counterpart. ;)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »
 Tail doesnt wag the dog clarko.
If we are as stable as you say, club and coach should be clear with each other and therefore not distracted.
I like dimma but we need to wait until at least the half way point to asess our progress
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:08 AM »

Hardwick has put the best model in place for many years, must give him the chance, I would give him the two years so he can concentrate on coaching.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 06:50:43 AM »
The fact that Clarkson has mentioned this, tells me immeadiatley that the issue is of concern to Hardwick. We all know that they are close friends and DO talk. However, Clarkson is talking out of turn and in fact will create a measure of instability. Club needs to hold it's ground and continue it's process. Dimma I am sure will get another contract.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:35 AM »
Hardwick has put the best model in place for many years, must give him the chance, I would give him the two years so he can concentrate on coaching.

Unless of course we don't make finals .... NO EXCUSES  :rollin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
We need to get rid of this clown and get in a real match day coach. It's time to call Rohde.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
Clarkson is talking out of turn and in fact will create a measure of instability.

Certainly is talking out of turn. None of his bloody business.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »
I was of the opinion that they should wait till mid season to review.
If both parties were mature and prepared to wait, then they could ignore the outside world.
Since then, a plethora of players from RFC have come out stating theat we are aiming for finals (no problem with this) and players then coming out stating finishing places ie: 6-8th
CEO coming out saying we are playing to make finals... Etc etc

I think we are putting the pressure on this situation ourselves
I'm sure they are already in talks, so let's see what unfolds...

There is a phone poll on SEN this morning as to whether we should resign him prior to the season proper..
I'm intrested in what the listeners will poll, not that it has a bearing on the situation of course

... 73% of listeners who polled said they should sign him soon..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:08:55 AM by Eat_em_Alive »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
I've heard a couple of times now that the opposition are saying we're stable and changing.

That's a good thing.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
 I think he should be signed up for another 2 years now before the season proper.

I was of the mindset that the club should wait to see how the season pans out because if it is a disaster then a contract extension could come back to haunt the club. When I thought about it further, I don't believe changing coaches now would be a good thing regardless.

Dimma has done what Wallace said he would do - a total rebuild. We haven't topped up, we haven't traded away early picks and we haven't gifted senior players a spot in the team over developing youngsters. In fact Dimma has done everything asked of him - pumping games into the recruits, changing the culture of the playing group and developing each individual player. He has surrounded himself in educators, teachers, enthusiastic operators. These coaches getting average players to begin to fulfill  their potential including Jack, Vickery, Martin, Rance, Grimes, King, Nahas, Houli etc etc Why would we wish to throw this all out the window?

I believe he has proved he is on the right track. In terms of developing players, a strong culture and a game plan they can play too successfully - Dimma has runs on the board. He has set the future up, he should be given another two years to see if he can fulfill it. He hasn't cut any corners, hasn't played older or injured players to win a few extra games. He has done all the hard yards. What would a new coach do but set back the process yet again. After multiple rebuilds this is the last thing we need.

Regardless of what happens this year the club deserves an opportunity to see if what Dimma has built can begin to work. This is the year when we should start to see improvement but if it doesn't eventuate due to circumstance then we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. We shouldn't be reactionary. We still have the youngest list after the two new teams and consistency is always the Holy Grail. If finals eludes us this year it will come the year after.

I don't want to start again when everything says we are finally on the right track. Give him the extention.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
LOL @ Hardwick not being here meaning would be 'starting again'. Fair dinkum, chucking on two years when we have won about 12 games in two years. I know he's going to get an extension but I would at least hope they'd do it during the season and not before.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »
LOL @ Hardwick not being here meaning would be 'starting again'. Fair dinkum, chucking on two years when we have won about 12 games in two years. I know he's going to get an extension but I would at least hope they'd do it during the season and not before.

So you think a new coach would just adopt all the same staff, game plan and practises Dimma has do you? Everything there is a new person brought into an organisation, particularly if they are the leader, they make changes. Having a new coach would mean staff would move on, the game plan would change, players would change.

In two years we may have won 'about 12 games' but you're being a tad short sighted here. Dimma gutted the team, recruited heavily and then played the infants to get games into them under the instructions of the club. These last two years have been exclusively about development. You can't use the win/loss margin as a negative under these circumstances.

So tell me what is the difference between extending the contract now or half way through the year?