Author Topic: Chat live with Brendon Gale - Thurs 1pm  (Read 1390 times)

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
Chat live with Brendon Gale - Thurs 1pm
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:40:24 PM »
Nearly halfway through the season, its time for a state of the union address

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/brendon%20gale%20web%20chat/tabid/16923/default.aspx

1pm AEST tomorrow

Come and chat with the man, bring your questions.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:12:56 PM by one-eyed »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Chat live with Brendon Gale tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
Would love too but....work gets in the way again  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Chat live with Brendon Gale - Thurs 1pm
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
Bump.

Benny Gale chat on now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »
Here's the first half of Q&A....

Comment From Shane
Hi Brendan. How has our performance been off the field so far in 2011? Are we achieving goals set?

Hi Shane,

I'm encourage by the progress we're making off field. And we look like exceeding most, if not all of our off-field commercial and financial goals.

Thanks to the support of our members, we've exceeded our 2011 membership goal, and in doing so have set a new club record. We're doing well in what we define as securing registered fans, our average attendaces are well up, our TV audiences are strong and we have a full compliment of business partners.

Comment From fighting fury
Hi Benny, i see the FTF figure is looking good. are you confident of knock the total off?

The Fighting Tiger Fund is going well, at this stage we are at about $2.5million and over the next month we will escalate activity in this area. Currently we have a scratch 'n' win $200 raffle, with all proceeds going to the FTF along with a $20 members raffle, both these activities are expected to net around $200,000.
Importantly we have a whole campaign revolving around Round 15 v Carlton. This will be a FTF acknowledgement of appreciation day, and we have a range of fundraising activities planned leading up to and on the day.

Watch this space, and please be there on the day.

Comment From MV
What did you think of the TIO Stadium? Is there a future of more footy in Darwin?

I thought the oval and stadium were fine, it mightn't provide the creature comforts of the MCG, however it's absoloutely fine for the playing of AFL football.

Comment From MV
Do you prefer playing footy or the administration side of things like you are doing now?

I loved playing footy, and looking back whilst it's a tough game, you just have to worry about preparing together and winning. It's a privelage to be able to come back in my current position but clearly it's a very complex job.

Sometimes I'd love to press a fast forward button to 3-4 years down the track but unfortunately you don't get handed success. I really respect and enjoy working with my colleagues. I value the support I got from members and really believe in the journey we're all on together.

Comment From MV
Alot of people haven't understood why the Tiges played the game in Darwin and are criticising the club for doing it. Do you just wanna scream out at those people and what would you say?

With a young, developing list that is eager to learn and improve, it’s crucial that we continue to invest in our football program now and give Craig Cameron and Damien Hardwick the tools needed to work towards realising this group’s full potential. With high debt levels and low revenues (for the time being) the selling of interstate games give us the ability to continue to make prudent investments. Further, as an iconic national sporting Club, there are other important brand and marketing benefits for us, as there are for the communities in which we embrace.

We fully understand and acknowledge the feelings of our members and supporters with respect to the selling of home games, especially after a performance like the one we produced in Darwin last Saturday night, however, this is the situation we are in right now. The match return enables us to invest vital funds in our football program at a critical time.

And, just on last weekend, to blame our performance on the selling of a game to Darwin is a cop-out, which we simply won’t accept. Our performance was extremely disappointing. We were beaten by a better side on the night, we take full responsibility for our performance, we will learn from it, and we will continue to improve.

I can assure all of our members that through improving on-field and commercial performance, combined with other initiatives such as the Fighting Tiger Fund, we are hell bent on re-establishing Richmond as a leading Melbourne AFL club, which we feel will be a powerful force in projecting our brand nationally.

Comment From Guest
Hi Brendon... Congradulations on how the tigers are travelling. Really am proud to be a tiger and always will be... But do do the coaching staff pick the players up after a defeat such as the one against Port last week?

Damian and the coaching staff are naturally driven and optimistic guys, they've taken responsibility for the defeat and will learn from it. Damian is really strong on taking the emotion out of our games, and taking a very even and methodical approach. I've got no doubt our guys will bounce back and be ready and eager for the challenge of Sydney in Sydney.

Comment From Damo
Hi Benny. Can you update us on the Mitch Morton situation at all?

Mitch has had some personal issues which he's been dealing with for a while, the club decided in collaboration with Mitch that it would be in his best interests to get away from the day to day club environment as he manages these issues. I understand he is maknig good progress, he's following a fairly robust conditioning program and we are optimistic that he'll rejoin us in due course.

Comment From Cameron
Hi Brendan. How reliant is the club on revenue from pokies? And are there plans to reduce pokie revenue in light of the recent political debate over them? What other non-football ways are there for the club to bring money in?

We are not particularly reliant on pokies. Whilst we have a venue at the Wantirna Club, its contribution to our bottom line is negligible. Before we start looking at non-football ways to generate revenue, I think we've got to raise revenues from football related revenue, such as membership, match day attendances, playing finals and sponsorship. We are focussed on improving in all these areas. Once we get the core business right, pay down debt, we then might be in a position to look at other non core opportunities.

Comment From Guest
will the club be well positioned when free agency arrives

I believe that the club will be well positioned when free agency arrives, Blair Hartley's appointment over a year ago means we will be really well placed to make good decisions. I'd also like to think that a young developing team, outstanding new facilities might attract players who can add value to our list

Comment From Pete
Brendan , I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit of the priorities in Football spending from TFTF please. What is the highest priority , the expansion of Punt Road Oval , own reserves team , more coaches , 100% salary cap etc ?

As I previously outlined, the first priority of the FTF is the redevelopment of the Punt Road Oval, we need to provide our players with an oval that is fit for the purpose of training for elite AFL football. It needs to be levelled, new drainage, cricket pitches need to be removed, needs to be widened and lengthened to the same dimensions as Etihad Stadium and it needs to be resurfaced. Secondly we need to be in a position to pay 100% of the salary cap, which gives us the opportunity to pre-pay part of the following years TPP when we might'n be paying 100% in a given year. Thirdly, we need to provide the best environment that we possibly can to develop and improve our players once we bring them here.

Comment From Royce
What's happening at Punt Road on the non-ME Bank Centre side of the Dyer Stand?

At this stage nothing, apart from the maintenance of the curators shed. With around 400 square metres we will think long and hard about how that land can be further developed to benefit the Richmond Football Club.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
Comment From rodgerramjet
Are we still looking for major sponsorships?

Whilst we are always open for business and developing prospects, our major properites and partners are locked away. Our Commercial department did an outstanding job this year in securing 6 new sponsorships - Jeep, Bingle, Signet, ME Bank, Clive Peeters and Kooga to join Lite n' Easy and Host Plus. Importantly both Dick Smith and Luxbet are staying with us, in a different role.

Comment From Mitchell
Hi Brendan, is the aim of 75,000 members in a few years time possible?

75,000 members is an ambitious target but we are an ambitious club. We feel there is a large latent supporter base who in the right circumstances will re-engage with the club. In the 10 years from 1999 to 2009 we understand that there are 100,000 people that had been members of our club, that weren't members in 2010. We feel that if we can build our football program, so that it's competitive on a sustained basis, and play 3 Final series in a row we can give it a shot. This won't be enough in itself, we've already taken steps to ensure that our members are brought to the centre of the entire football club, and we always need to raise the bar in our customer service.

Comment From Peter
How much money does the FTF need to raise to elimate the debt??

Once again, we've set ourselves an ambitious goal of $6 million. For every dollar we invest in football, we will pay down a dollar of debt. So if we raise $6 million, I'm hopeful we will be able to pay down $3m of debt. At the moment we've raised $2.5m so we've got some work to do. As I said earlier, we are about to escalate our FTF fundraising acftivities so stay tuned.

Comment From Ben
Hey. Just wondering, how's the membership tally going so far since we beat the previous record? Nothing better than being at the 'G to hear the army roar.

We just ticked over 47,000 members. Cain Liddle our head of Membership and Chief of Strategy, who is doing an outstanding job, is confident we will get to 48,000. So I guess he'd better deliver now. I'm humbled by the continued passion and loyalty of our members. It's as if our members have a spiritual connection with our club.

Comment From Dan
Hi Brendon, thank you for coming back to Richmond and doing a great job so far, are you still hopefull of having 70,000 members and 3 finals appearances in the next 3.5 years?

I'm confident that if we can build our football program to the extent that we play in 3 finals series by 2014, we will give 75,000 members a real shake and we will pay down our debt.

As a club, we have not played in successive finals series since '74/'75, what's remarkable about that is that in that time whilst we've underperformed we've also been a pretty good team playing in 2 Grand Finals and winning a premiership. But building sustained success is what it's all about.

A sustained and competitive football team will drive the broader commercial business of the Richmond Football Club, the likes of which we wouldn't have seen in a long time.

Comment From Punt Rd
Benny... How do you rate the tigers chances of playing finals footy in 2011?

I haven't even thought of finals to be honest. We have a range of what we describe as "football performance targets" that we focus on, if we continue to improve in these areas as we have, the wins will come and finals will take care of itself.

To briefly elaborate, we've improved in the offencive aspects of our game, evidenced by in our ability to force forward half turnovers, we've improved in our uncontested possesion differential, we've improved in our scoring efficiency, inside 50's and I think we are in the top 4 teams for points scored.

However our defence needs a lot of work, as does our contested posession differencial. We just havent had the chance to begin to settle our defence with McGuane, Moore, Rance and Farmer out for various periods. At times our defence has consisted of mostly teenagers - Grimes, Batchelor, Astbury, Conca so Damian is very strong on defence, and that's an area we need to improve.

Comment From BRENDAN
benny do you get the chance to travel to interstate games to watch the boys.or are there commitments in melbourne that prevent you

I go to all games

Comment From Gavin
Thanks for the job your'e doing Brendon and congratulations on the latest DreamTime match. Has there been much supporter interest in the jumper we used that night?... I really liked it by the way.

The response of the jumper has been overwhelming, I believe it sent a really strong message about this game and what it stands for, which is very important because we are very active in this space and as a club are committed to closing the gap between indigenous and non-indigenous Australia. The fact we won infront of a huge crowd and national television audience was also extremely encouraging.

Thanks for jonining us today guys, that is it for Brendon. We hope you enjoyed the chat

Go Tiges

Offline Tigermad20011

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
Nothing new and a waste of time could not even stay for an hour.

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
nice fail on the username mate  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:28:44 PM »
A couple of Dorothy Dixs there. I tried to ask what we would've earnt if we played Port at Etihad or MCG with a crowd of 35-40k but the question didn't get through.

Not sure how Benny can say TIO Stadium was fine when the light towers struggle to work.

Good to see he acknowledges our backline needs a lot of work although I don't see McGaune, Moore, Rance and Farmer all playing together the answer.

It still amazes me we have 100k former members who haven't resigned. I'd guess that just shows how many supporters got burnt by our many false dawns since the late 90s. Loses like that of last weekend don't help the Club get them back.

The week leading into round 15 is when we'll next target adding to the FTF in a big way. Meaning the Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne games will be very important to regain back some respect lost last Saturday night.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:09:28 PM »
I think Benny has been fantastic. If the club reaches all their goals then he will be the greatest club CEO of alltime, surpasing Cook at Geelong.

I hope we can.  :pray 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
I think Benny has been fantastic.

In what sense Mr T?

Not a smart arse question, just interested in what you see as his major achievements so far.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »

In what sense Mr T?

Not a smart behind question, just interested in what you see as his major achievements so far.
I think he has given the club a clear vision and direction. Seems to have everyone working off the same page. Looks like he knows what is required to acheive success and will do his best to support the footy department.
He's a passionate Richmond man who truly wants the club to be number 1 again.

...That's what I think anyway.   
The club that keeps giving.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »

In what sense Mr T?

Not a smart behind question, just interested in what you see as his major achievements so far.
I think he has given the club a clear vision and direction. Seems to have everyone working off the same page. Looks like he knows what is required to acheive success and will do his best to support the footy department.
He's a passionate Richmond man who truly wants the club to be number 1 again.

...That's what I think anyway.   

hes clearly done a good job but steve wright did just as good a job if not more - wright was the one who organised the new facilities.  Hardwick was basically appointed by March and his board. Benny needs to achieve his vision for us to say hes done a super job just my opinion.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »
Nothing new and a waste of time could not even stay for an hour.
Lazy footy media have jumped on the past two live chats for their story for tomorrow's papers. Probably why questions were more monitored this time around and Benny played a straight bat with his answers and didn't say much new.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:32:14 AM »
I thought Brendon Gale answered the questions quite well, I might add there were some ripping questions asked (from my view point anyway) I was like you MT I asked quite a few questions that although didn't get direct answers were never the less answered in subsequent questions by other posters, so all my questions were answered.

This method of communicating to the members and supporters could be an exceptional one if used correctly.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 01:26:33 PM »
This method of communicating to the members and supporters could be an exceptional one if used correctly.

Tell us how to make it exceptional.

He obviously can't be candid like he was when we had one of our fan forums, as others have pointed out, media jump in these chats and we've been stung a bit by that in the past. We've had President, CEO x 2, Head of Footy, Assistant Coach, Head of Membership all jump in on chats since November, that's not bad.