Author Topic: Herald-Sun's phantom draft & club-by-club guide / Zak Jones to Tigers  (Read 2168 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL 2013 Phantom Draft: Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger predict your club's first pick

Jay Clark and Sam Landsberger
    November 20, 2013 9:10PM

1. Greater Western Sydney

TOM BOYD

Height: 200cm Weight: 103kg

Club: Eastern Ranges

Recruiters expect this bloke to be in the captaincy frame within three years. Strong-marking spearhead who is ready to go.

Watch the 2013 AFL Draft LIVE on FOX FOOTY from 7pm AEDT on Thursday

Pick me: Tom Boyd 2:54

Play video

All eyes will be on Victorian Tom Boyd at the AFL draft, with the highly-rated forward expected to be recruited as the number one pick by the GWS Giants.

2. Greater Western Sydney

JOSH KELLY

183cm, 75kg

Club: Sandringham Dragons

Is it too big a call to say he's a future Brownlow medallist? Some recruiters think not. Elite kick on both sides who runs all day.

Follow the AFL Draft LIVE and have your say on SuperFooty's Draft Tracker from 6.30pm EST

Pick me: Josh Kelly 2:33

Play video

Sandringham Dragons midfielder Josh Kelly is likely to score a place at GWS with pick two in the 2013 AFL Draft following an outstanding TAC Cup season.

3. St Kilda

JACK BILLINGS

184cm, 78kg

Club: Oakleigh Chargers

Injects the class the Saints crave up forward. Does some crazy stuff near goal, but the question is can he elevate his game in the midfield?

Pick me: Jack Billings 1:53

Play video

Classy Oakleigh Chargers midfielder/forward Jack Billings will hope his distribution and polish around goal will prove too much for clubs to refuse in this year's AFL Draft.

4. Western Bulldogs

MARCUS BONTEMPELLI

194cm, 83kg

Club: Northern Knights

If the Dogs can crack open this bloke's potential he could wind up the best talent from the draft. Tall midfielder who dances like Pendles but can go missing.

DOGS SET TO GAMBLE WITH PICK 4

Northern Knights teammates Marcus Bontempelli (left) and Ben Lennon are both likely to go in the first round. Picture: Josie Hay

Northern Knights teammates Marcus Bontempelli (left) and Ben Lennon are both likely to go in the first round. Picture: Josie Hayden News Corp Australia

5. Gold Coast

KADE KOLODJASHNIJ

190cm, 81kg

Club: Launceston

The tonic the Suns lack - athletic, rebounding defender from half-back who is a smart user, much like Hawthorn star Grant Birchall.

Twin brothers Kade (bottom) and Jake Kolodjashnij prepare for the draft on the Gold Coast.

Twin brothers Kade (bottom) and Jake Kolodjashnij prepare for the draft on the Gold Coast. Getty Images

6. Collingwood

JAMES AISH

184cm, 75kg

Club Norwood

How does this happen? The Pies land a two-time SANFL premiership star who Champion Data rates the best kick in the draft (87 per cent efficiency).

The stars of South Australia's national champion under-18 side (from left) Matthew Scharenberg. Luke Dunstan and James Ais

The stars of South Australia’s national champion under-18 side (from left) Matthew Scharenberg. Luke Dunstan and James Aish. News Corp Australia

7. Brisbane

MATT SCHARENBERG

190cm, 87kg

Club: Glenelg

Dual all-Australian and intercept king who some clubs rate the second-best player in the draft. The Lions would have to nurse the bone-stress reactions in both his feet.

DRAFT GUN SAYS INJURY NOT SERIOUS

8. North Melbourne (father-son)

LUKE MCDONALD

188cm, 85kg

Club: Werribee

Hard-running defender with a deadly left-foot and strong leadership, like Luke Hodge. Dominated the VFL finals and will slot straight into Brad Scott's side.

Luke McDonald puts the Northern Territory's Anthony Tipungwuti under pressure.

Luke McDonald puts the Northern Territory’s Anthony Tipungwuti under pressure. News Corp Australia

9. Melbourne

CHRISTIAN SALEM

183cm, 81kg

Club: Sandringham Dragons

Nathan Freeman was the buzz word here but the Dees prefer Salem, who is a better kick and more versatile. Has a bit of toe, kicks goals and boasts a big frame.

Pick me: Christian Salem 2:52

Play video

A big-bodied midfielder with a precise kick, Sandringham Dragons star Christian Salem is expected to be a top 15 AFL Draft pick in 2013.

10. Collingwood

BEN LENNON

188cm, 77kg

Club: Northern Knights

Tough call for the Pies deciding between Lennon and Freeman. But Lennon has more class and composure and his suitability to the flanks helps replace Heath Shaw.

Pick me: Ben Lennon 2:25

Play video

Ben Lennon will hope his razor sharp right boot will be the difference over his fellow AFL hopefuls at this year's National Draft.

11. West Coast

DOM SPEED

184cm, 83kg

Club: Subiaco

What a move from the Eagles to slide from 6 to 11 and still get their man. A stoppage king who kicks goals in the vein of Simon Black.

Dom Sheed takes on the agility course at the draft combine. Picture: Colleen Petch

Dom Sheed takes on the agility course at the draft combine. Picture: Colleen Petch News Corp Australia

12. Richmond

ZAK JONES

181cm, 76kg

Club: Dandenong Stingrays

Bit of a surprise here but the Tigers love the reliability and hardness of foot soldier Jones. Has a splash of pace, sparkled in finals and a fiery approach. Brother of Demon Nathan.

Pick Me: Zak Jones : http://video.news.com.au/v/144238/Pick-Me-Zak-Jones

2013 DRAFT BURNING QUESTIONS

Will Dayle Garlett get drafted?

We think not. The Herald Sun believes he missed a scheduled interview with Hawthorn in September and North Melbourne has ruled him out. Essendon was burned by him last year. Not good news for Dayle.

Who holds the key to the draft order?

If the mail is right, the Pies were still tossing up between Matthew Scharenberg, James Aish, Chris Salem and Nathan Freeman at pick 6 on Wednesday night. Rivals were still guessing what combination Collingwood will choose at 6 and 10.

Will the Dogs' punt pay off?

No doubt Marcus Bontempelli is a risk at pick 4, but beefed up development resources, headed by the club's new stand-alone VFL team, will help unleash his potential.

Is the Blues' first pick a surprise?

In a way yes, because you would think they need another key forward. But Patrick Cripps is a general inside congestion and can help replace Chris Judd.

Have the Saints done the right thing?

Yes. List would have been in more trouble in two or three years without a bold injection of young talent. People will come to watch Jack Billings play and they will get a gun key forward next year.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2013-phantom-draft-jay-clark-and-sam-landsberger-predict-your-clubs-first-pick/story-fnelctok-1226764679332

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Herald-Sun's phantom draft & club-by-club guide / Zak Jones to Tigers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 07:23:22 AM »
Richmond

Picks 12, 50, 66, 78, 88

Key midfield targets might be gone by No. 12, meaning Zak Jones, a combative small midfielder/defender, enters the equation. Have done work on Matt Crouch. Dream result is classy flanker Ben Lennon.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/club-by-club-guide-to-thursday-nights-2013-afl-national-draft-on-the-gold-coast/story-fnelctok-1226764618744?from=public_rss

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »
What??!!!  :o

Jones highlight package looks anything but impressive. This would seem like another JON recruitment mistake for mine at first glance. Only our past golden decisions leave me with some hope that whoever we get he will be quality......but Jones??? :-\

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 08:52:41 AM »
What??!!!  :o

Jones highlight package looks anything but impressive. This would seem like another JON recruitment mistake for mine at first glance. Only our past golden decisions leave me with some hope that whoever we get he will be quality......but Jones??? :-\
How can it be a JON pick if his highlights are unimpressive? Wasn't JON recruited off impressive highlights?

Wait till you see the clips the club releases of his time in the midfield, late in the season, provided we pick him of course.

Offline cooper007

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
Highlights package of JON we never got to see any off those it was word of mouth....and look how that paid off Zak Jones is a no goer for me hopefully lennon will be available and we will have probably our 4 best year in recruiting in a row

GO U TIGERS

Rampstar

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
Well at least I know now not to bother watching it on TV or listening to it on radio. If his brother wasnt Nathan he would of gone somewhere around 30. He might be tough and hard but he doesnt have the runs on the board over a long stretch to go at 12. Your first pick should always go on a kid who has been good over a 2 or 3 year period leading up to the draft year, not some kid who has managed to pull his finger out over the last 12 or so weeks of the year.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
NooooOooOOOoooooOoooOooooOoo
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:51:36 AM »
They are just making poo up like the rest of us.  We will see soon enough.  And I don't think we are using pick 12 on him, he might go round two but he is a foot soldier with tons of work needed.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
Well at least I know now not to bother watching it on TV or listening to it on radio. If his brother wasnt Nathan he would of gone somewhere around 30.

Didn't we say the same thing about Riewoldt and his surname??
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
I always liked JR as a pick though, I thought he had a bit of magic about him even though he was raw.
Lots of people name their swords......

dwaino

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »
Best thing about tonight is that somebody is guaranteed to go into meltdown regardless of who we select.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:28:04 AM »
Best thing about tonight is that somebody is guaranteed to go into meltdown regardless of who we select.

Should we run some sort of comp on who will go into meltdown first?

:rollin :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »
Daniel followed closely by Ramps  ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:13 AM »
:lol :lol

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »
Daniel followed closely by Ramps  ;D
Not much of a comp when gerks gets it correct first post.  :shh