Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 124676 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #795 on: January 22, 2024, 06:56:24 PM »
Premiership Tiger Marlion Pickett’s court appearance in Perth adjourned until early March

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
January 22nd, 2024

Dual premiership Tiger Marlion Pickett’s court case over allegations of his involvement in a series of commercial burglaries is now due to take place just days before the start of the AFL season.

Pickett, 32, was set to face Perth Magistrates Court on Friday last week to face 12 charges, but the case was adjourned until March 1.

Pickett’s Tigers are one of eight teams scheduled to take part in Opening Round, with Richmond to face the Gold Coast Suns at Heritage Bank Stadium in its season-opener. The club also has pre-season hit-outs scheduled against Melbourne (February 18) and Collingwood (February 27) next month.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2024-marlion-pickett-latest-update-perth-magistrates-court-appearance-adjourned-until-march/news-story/cdfd62e8bb36dc676c39eb7a7ead62f2

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #796 on: January 22, 2024, 07:12:57 PM »
He really shouldn’t be playing in the ones anyway

Certainly not on last seasons form. One of the most bizarre continued selections in the 22 last season.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #797 on: March 01, 2024, 12:43:47 AM »
Pickett set for opening round despite looming court hearing

Marlion Pickett is free to take his place in Richmond’s Opening Round side to take on the Suns despite facing an upcoming committal hearing in Perth on serious charges.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/richmonds-marlion-pickett-free-to-play-in-opening-round-despite-facing-serious-charges-in-perth/news-story/87b16bbdef496c5d7b3c4ab9204097fa

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #798 on: March 02, 2024, 06:51:18 PM »
‘Disclosure issues’: Magistrate unhappy as Marlion Pickett’s court case stalls again

Rebecca Peppiatt
WA Today/Fairfax
March 2, 2024

A magistrate has vented her frustration at the pace at which charges against AFL star Marlion Pickett are progressing through the WA court system, stating she would not allow the matter to stall any longer.

Pickett, who hails from WA but plays for Richmond Football Club in Victoria, was arrested in June last year in connection to a spate of thefts across WA from early December 2022 to January 2023.

But since his first appearance in court for a bail application that was granted allowing him to continue his sporting obligations, Pickett’s matters have been back before the court four times with no appearance from him and no progression of the issues.

On Friday his charges were adjourned by consent again, with magistrate Sarah Oliver saying she wanted the matters to progress on the next occasion.

“This has been at committal mention since October last year and the accused has not appeared once,” she said.

“This is the fourth consent adjournment. No further adjournments by consent.”

Police prosecutors in the matter told Oliver there was a hold up over mobile phone location data, as well as “disclosure issues”.

Pickett has yet to enter a plea to the charges. It is alleged that he and his brother-in-law, along with four other co-accused, targeted companies in Perth in the suburbs of Nollamara, Girrawheen and Beechboro, and the town of Beverley, between December 2022 and January 2023. Police allege money was taken from safes. On one occasion, $325,000 was allegedly taken from a currency exchange.

“It’s said that the money is subject to some alleged laundering by the accused and co-accused in various states in Australia,” a police prosecutor told the court during Pickett’s bail application last year.

During Pickett’s bail application, prosecutors said he was tied to the alleged crimes because his phone “pinged” near one of the burglary locations at the time the offence was being committed.

It’s also alleged a campervan that was used to transfer some money interstate was rented in his name, and that he purchased clothing worn by the offenders.

Pickett then allegedly received payments of $6000 and $9000 into his bank account.

But defence lawyer David Manera said the case against his client was weak.

“The campervan that was rented in Mr Pickett’s name was taken by co-offenders across Australia,” he said.

“It’s not that Mr Pickett has taken property across Australia in a campervan.

“And the phone tower ping in the area, your honour will be aware that type of evidence can often be unreliable.

“All it may show is that that phone may have been in that area, it doesn’t show that the offender may have been in that area.”

Police opposed bail, noting Pickett’s previous jail sentence in 2011. However, Manera said he had only committed one criminal offence since then, for which he was fined.

He also argued that Pickett was the sole provider for his family, which included his de facto partner and his three children, aged between six and 13.

One of Pickett’s alleged co-accused, Kurtley Thorne, pleaded guilty to the same charges Pickett is accused of late last year. He will be sentenced later this year.

Pickett’s will be back before the court on March 27 and will likely be forced to appear in person, during the AFL season.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/disclosure-issues-magistrate-unhappy-as-marlion-pickett-s-court-case-stalls-again-20240301-p5f95v.html

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2024, 07:51:30 PM »
It's a racist witch hunt.. a phone ping in the area, that's all they have. Nothing. Total waste of time , but typical WA, they want every Aboriginal in jail

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #800 on: March 02, 2024, 10:10:17 PM »
It's a racist witch hunt.. a phone ping in the area, that's all they have. Nothing. Total waste of time , but typical WA, they want every Aboriginal in jail
What an absolute tosser. So its a poor old aboriginal who breaks the law and of course its the white west australians who want every black in jail.

You have NFI.

The bottom line is white black brown or whatever in WA if you break the law the expectation all will be treated the same.
Trust me that is exactly what happens.

Its funny call it what you like call it circumstance or call it discrimination call it what you like but the simple fact is aborigines who are a very small part of the population what 2% actually commit the most crimes but hey lets just label all whites racists because it suits your sensibilities.
The bottom line far too many Blacks are actually committing crimes for whatever reasons.
Me i was always bought up to treat people no matter where they are from how you would like to be treated yourself and the vast majority of people  i know think exactly that way..

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #801 on: March 02, 2024, 10:46:18 PM »
What an absolute tosser. So its a poor old aboriginal who breaks the law and of course its the white west australians who want every black in jail.

You have NFI.

The bottom line is white black brown or whatever in WA if you break the law the expectation all will be treated the same.
Trust me that is exactly what happens.

Its funny call it what you like call it circumstance or call it discrimination call it what you like but the simple fact is aborigines who are a very small part of the population what 2% actually commit the most crimes but hey lets just label all whites racists because it suits your sensibilities.
The bottom line far too many Blacks are actually committing crimes for whatever reasons.
Me i was always bought up to treat people no matter where they are from how you would like to be treated yourself and the vast majority of people  i know think exactly that way..
I have plenty of idea how things work in WA. You worry about the ideas you don't have nor knowledge

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #802 on: March 03, 2024, 10:27:19 AM »
Well you're in Italy apparently and clawski lives in WA. I know who I agree with in this case
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 05:28:20 PM by one-eyed »
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #803 on: March 03, 2024, 10:53:06 AM »
black, white, green, guilty, not guilty, or whatever he is. He is finished as a footballer and we need to find someone else that can push him out.

im over his rubbish

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #804 on: March 03, 2024, 12:08:17 PM »
black, white, green, guilty, not guilty, or whatever he is. He is finished as a footballer and we need to find someone else that can push him out.

im over his rubbish

Would be beneficial if he could somehow get to 100

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #805 on: March 03, 2024, 01:00:43 PM »

im over his rubbish

Would be beneficial if he could somehow get to 100

This is where the sub rule comes in handy.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #806 on: March 03, 2024, 05:21:39 PM »
Well you're in Italy apparently and clawski lives in WA.  I know who I agree with in this case
Remember krakouer, did time in WA for GBH, at the same time, I forget his name, white Aussie swimmer was found guilty of the same offence in Sydney, he got a good behaviour bond. I may be in Italy now,  wgaf, WA legal system has always reamed aboriginals. Even Pickett, sentenced as an adult for car theft. Committed the offence when he was still 17, tried him at 18. If he was white he would not have served jail time. Dig deep into cases in WA. there are many more examples
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 05:28:32 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #807 on: March 03, 2024, 07:09:00 PM »
Yeah it's not really up the WA authorities to punish people for committing offences in NSW... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #808 on: March 03, 2024, 08:25:25 PM »
 :lol
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #809 on: March 03, 2024, 08:28:04 PM »
Yeah it's not really up the WA authorities to punish people for committing offences in NSW... :shh

:clapping

Beat me to it.

Can't compare what happens in the NSW legal system to what happens in WA

It was a stupid comparison
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)