Author Topic: Cousins among Brownlow favourites (WWOS)  (Read 2290 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins among Brownlow favourites (WWOS)
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
Cousins among Brownlow favourites
By Sean Cusick, WWOS | 11:00 AEST Mon Dec 22 2008

Bookmakers believe that Ben Cousins can return to his glory days, after the former West Coast bad boy was installed as one of the favourites to win his second Brownlow Medal next year.

Despite a very public battle with drug addiction, 15 months out of the game, and question marks surrounding his troublesome hamstrings, online bookmaker Centrebet today rated Cousins a $34 chance to claim the AFL's highest individual honour in 2009.

"Despite a nightmare couple of years, there's no doubting he's still a very dangerous player," Centrebet's Neil Evans said.

"Taking a look at him training, he's obviously kept himself in fantastic shape and we expect him to hit the ground running."

A Richmond player hasn't won a Brownlow since Ian Stewart in 1971, and with Matthew Richardson the only true yellow-and-black superstar at Punt Road, Cousins appears set to bring some much-needed class to a blue-collar midfield.

"He's the kind of eye-catching headliner that Richmond need," Evans said.

"The Tigers are also on the way up, so there will be plenty of votes there for the taking."

Buddy fever shows no signs of slowing down on the back of Lance Franklin's 100-goal feat and grand final triumph last year, with the freakish Hawthorn full-forward installed as $9 favourite to win the 2009 Brownlow Medal.

Geelong's Gary Ablett is next at $11, followed by Carlton's Chris Judd at $13.

This year's winner, Western Bulldogs on-baller Adam Cooney, is paying $21.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=702613

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cousins among Brownlow favourites (WWOS)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:24:18 PM »
A bit of a joke really. If he can have an good season I will be rapped but a brownlow season after 2 seasons off, hammy problems and drug issues it would the story of the century.

Stripes

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
Cousins is the leading Tiger believe it or not....

Cousins         $34
Richo            $67
Cotchin         $81
Deledio         $81
Brown          $101
Foley           $126
Tambling     $126
Coughlan     $251
Newman      $251
Tuck            $251

http://centrebet.com/cust?action=GoEvType&ev_type_id=1412&ev_sub_type_id=492&tab=sports

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »
um i dont think so
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
um i dont think so

Me either, realistically I would have to say Lids would be our best chance, although I can't discount the big fella.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:55:30 AM »
Cogs, a good poller when he's played full seasons, would be worth a couple of pesos at $251.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 01:22:38 AM »
Swap Cotchin and Deledio around and i think thats a pretty fair list, assuming Cus plays pretty much the full season.
No coach is stupid enough to ignore him so he will be tagged.
Even the Umps are gonna watch him increasing his chances of polling votes.
He will have everyones eyes on him each time he is on the field.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brownlow medal punters rally to Richmond recruit Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:19:32 AM »
Brownlow medal punters rally to Richmond recruit Ben Cousins
Rebecca Williams | December 24, 2008

HE HAS not played a game since September last year, but Ben Cousins was the punters' pick when Brownlow Medal markets for next season opened yesterday.

TAB Sportsbet listed Cousins at $26, but took more money on the 2005 Brownlow medallist than any other player in the first hour.

Geelong star Gary Ablett was installed favourite at $7 ahead of Carlton captain Chris Judd ($9) and Hawthorn forward Lance Franklin ($13). This season's Brownlow medallist, Adam Cooney, was equal fifth at $21.

But TAB Sportsbet's Gary Davies said it was Cousins, given a lifeline by Richmond in last week's pre-season draft, who had attracted the early interest.

"About 25 per cent of the total we held in the first hour was on Cousins," Davies said. "The only thing with Cousins was trying to come up with a price that we thought he would be inviting to the public at.

"On his best, $26 is probably over the odds and $26 on what could happen to him in the next 12 months is probably under the odds, so you are just trying to get an average."

Sportingbet Australia yesterday opened Cousins at $51. It has Ablett and Judd equal $10 favourites.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24839024-19742,00.html

bushranger

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 08:08:46 AM »
He hasn't even kicked a ball in anger for how long I don't know. And now they are tipping him to win a Brownlow. Now this is a good way to place pressure on a fella.
I think he will have a good year. I honestly don't know if it will be Brownlow form. But he will have a thing to prove all the same.
Thought I see him polling but not to win it. I think this is something thought up to keep him under as much pressure as the opposition can.
And they all are running scared.  :whistle
I would have Deledio and Tambling up higher than Cousins to win.
Watch these two this year it is their's for the taking.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 08:31:17 AM »
You'd think the guy who came 3rd this year should be the favourite from our club next year

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »
i don't even think the guy will start on the field in our first game! I think we will not have a standout player next year because all our top midfielders will benefit from the reduced pressure Cousins will give us. Foley will be tagged early, then Cousins as the season continues, then Lids as he starts to tear them up etc etc.

Great for the team but it means no Browlow medalists unfortunately

Stripes

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
You'd think the guy who came 3rd this year should be the favourite from our club next year

Did you mean third in the Brownlow Infamy, if so age isn't on his side, but like I said earlier you can't discount the big fella, he defies normal rules you could apply to ageing footballers.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 01:35:11 AM »
If Cuz was to pull off a miracle comeback and win Charlie I'd reckon he'll probably be preparing to play in the GF that week too  ;).

Richo always polls well so he should always be favourite to be the leading Tiger. If he can again play most of the season and we win 13+ games then he'll go close again. Geez if we only knew Richo only needed 3 more votes against Melbourne to win it we could have spent that game kicking it to him.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 09:33:03 AM »
Cogs, a good poller when he's played full seasons, would be worth a couple of pesos at $251.

just give the money to charity-at least someone benefits.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:06:26 AM by WilliamPowell »