Author Topic: Nathan Brown keen to prove his worth (Age)  (Read 580 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Brown keen to prove his worth (Age)
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:53:32 AM »
Brown keen to prove his worth
Brent Diamond and Charmaine Camilleri | June 4, 2009

RICHMOND forward Nathan Brown believes he can be a part of a new era at the Tigers, despite the departure of his friend and two-time coach Terry Wallace tomorrow night in the match against their former club, the Western Bulldogs.

The 31-year-old, who was coached at the Bulldogs and now the Tigers by Wallace, believes he has to prove himself in the second half of the season to keep his 213-game AFL career alive.

He is mindful that the incoming coach could opt for a youth policy similar to that employed by last year's premiership coach, Alastair Clarkson, at Hawthorn in 2004, when he made hard calls on veteran Hawks Nick Holland, Mark Graham, Nathan Thompson, Jonathan Hay and Peter Everitt.

Richmond has six key players — including Brown — over 30.

"Whatever the new coach coming in wants to do, I'll respect that decision and just get on with it," Brown said.

"I'll hope to play for the rest of the year, play and prove that you are worth keeping on another year."

Brown said Wallace was his on-field and off-field mentor and he was excited when Wallace was appointed coach of the Tigers back in 2005, just a year after Brown crossed from the Bulldogs.

"I've had a good relationship with Terry over the years. He's been a friend and a mentor and it's sad to see him go," he said.

"It's just the nature of the game and (there's) so much interest in a club like Richmond. As soon as something starts to get wobbly, the pressure does come in.

"Now another chapter starts at Richmond."

But Brown, who is preparing for life after football with his fashion label Blackbyrd, believes he still has another leg of his football career left despite his critics believing he is on his last.

"I don't think it's time to retire," Brown said. "I've had a lot of injuries over the last four or five years, and when you have injuries you tend to get wound up pretty quickly when you get over 30. I'd be guided by whatever the club thinks best."

But Brown said he hoped to be part of a reborn team at Tigerland in 2010.

"I'd like to take one year at a time … I'd love to play next year because I want to be part of a new era at Richmond," he said.

Brown has had little impact on the Tigers this season, averaging 1.6 goals and 19 disposals in his seven matches. He missed three matches with a groin injury, further adding to the wear and tear of his ageing body.

Brown conceded he was not performing at his best but said he was "hoping to play some good football in the second half of the year".

Before he broke his leg in 2005, he averaged more than 23 disposals and 3.4 goals a match.

He had a titanium rod inserted in his tibia to recover for the 2006 season, and Brown admits the mental scars from his leg injury restricted his efforts to return to his best.

"I think it did for a couple of years afterward … it did take a couple of years to get over it because I had stress fractures in my leg after I broke it twice," he said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/brown-keen-to-prove-his-worth/2009/06/03/1243708507047.html

Ramps

Re: Nathan Brown keen to prove his worth (Age)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:44:59 AM »
At another club not ours ... he shouldnt continue at Richmond we cant afford to keep more than Cousins and Richo next year of the over 30s.

bushranger

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:49:35 AM »
At another club not ours ... he shouldnt continue at Richmond we cant afford to keep more than Cousins and Richo next year of the over 30s.
In my opinion this is right.
And we could even add a few more to the list that should not continue.
But that has already been said in another thread.

Moi

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »
Don't want him showing form at the crunch end of the season when positions are on the line, we want him to play consistently all the time.
And he's not, so he better do something remarkable to turn his form around to warrant staying with us  :help

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
brown is a class player and we must keep him if fit
same as joel for leadership and cuz cos he is god

richo sugar snake must all go, sorry richo

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »

Brown has had little impact on the Tigers this season, averaging 1.6 goals and 19 disposals in his seven matches. He missed three matches with a groin injury, further adding to the wear and tear of his ageing body.

Brown conceded he was not performing at his best but said he was "hoping to play some good football in the second half of the year".

Before he broke his leg in 2005, he averaged more than 23 disposals and 3.4 goals a match.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/brown-keen-to-prove-his-worth/2009/06/03/1243708507047.html

This passage here says it all. He's not performing at a consistent level any longer and has been passed by many young players in terms of ability, speed and what they offer to the team. At 30 he needs to be one of our best or be the heart and soul of the team to stay.

Stripes

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »
goodbye and good riddons

dont need his selfish type in our team.

gee didn't see him stand up last week when we needed him in most games this season, if not all

WTF is he still doing in our team is beyond me
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »
Good bye! try and get a late pick for him or something if we can! Is he even contracted for another year?  ???

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
I can see why Nathan must be feeling a little nervous about his future.

He makes our team look good......But only on paper these days.

I wonder if Terry would still be coaching if it wasn't for that broken leg.
Unleash the tornado