Author Topic: NAB Challenge 2 v Hawthorn in Shepparton this Friday night  (Read 16414 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: NAB Challenge 2 v Hawthorn in Shepparton this Friday night
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2011, 05:43:19 AM »
Just got back from the game! The greatest pity is we had a chance to boost membership tonight in front of a healthy largely pro tiger crowd and we played terribly!

Negatives

Nahas= gone
Houli= a couple of scared efforts tonight ( short steps, not backing into packs but acting like he got called out)
Martin's first half imo
Gus's dropped marks
Looked like little boys
Clearances especially from the centre, i lost  count of the times we tapped it straight to Mitchell
Where did the centre corridor go?

Positives

Cotchin
Martins second half
Lids went off but the damage didnt appear to escalate too much
I thought Rance did a reasonable job on Roughy
Cheers GR12. Lids seemed to just be happy with getting a first run under his belt playing for a half.

We lose the centre corridor because we move the ball too slowly and are too static. Same goes trying and failing to get the ball outside our defensive 50. We stop and prop between possessions and allow the opposition to set and reset their zone press. You need to  instead take possession and dispose the ball in almost one movement quickly and have teammates running hard into space with purpose or running to create space for another teammate to run into before the zone is fully set.

Btw for those that went how was Ty's game? He kicked 2 goals but did he back up last week's effort and lead and present hard at the ball?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2011, 06:51:43 AM »
Why we keep playing Nahas I have no idea.
 :banghead

10 FLAGS

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »
My concern is that we practice being s hi t  :banghead

I actually agree with Brackets. Its not necessarily the result its how we are going about it. At the moment any team that puts up a half decent zone has us covered and thats a concern IMHO.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »
It's a practice game FFS smasha.

Put the bloody rifle down.

Good advice, can't believe how serious people are taking the game.

Maybe posters are also getting in their "practice" before the season proper during this NAB challenge series  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Honestly, didn't really care that we won last week, not overly concerned that we lost last night...practice matches are just that practice matches  ;D

Thursday 24th Mar is the day that matters 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
It's a practice game FFS smasha.

Put the bloody rifle down.

Good advice, can't believe how serious people are taking the game.

Maybe posters are also getting in their "practice" before the season proper during this NAB challenge series  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Honestly, didn't really care that we won last week, not overly concerned that we lost last night...practice matches are just that practice matches  ;D

Thursday 24th Mar is the day that matters 

:lol   We whacked Geelong in a practice match at this time last year and that was a portent of things to come wasn't it.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2011, 08:57:58 AM »

you look at the good teams. Davey, Jetta, Krak now, and who do we have. Nahas. Mr fantasy island himself. With him and Nason in the side expect another season of our players getting thrown to the ground.

Its an absolute joke we keep playing him. I would rather have taken a punt on Krakouer for a rookie spot, than keep playing this dud.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2011, 09:23:49 AM »

Its an absolute joke we keep playing him. I would rather have taken a punt on Krakouer for a rookie spot, than keep playing this dud.

Yeah, I can't understand why we didn't get rid of Nason, Hicks and Vickery and Rookie Swallow, Hepple and Polec :wallywink :wallywink

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
My concern is that we practice being s hi t  :banghead

I actually agree with Brackets. Its not necessarily the result its how we are going about it. At the moment any team that puts up a half decent zone has us covered and thats a concern IMHO.
The problem is that we still don't spread from contests properly and get into space!!

We're always trying to pinpoint a target and not kick to a guy 20m in the clear.

As much as I hate to say it, the Bumbers are doing this very well at the moment.... :'(
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
Just got back from the game! The greatest pity is we had a chance to boost membership tonight in front of a healthy largely pro tiger crowd and we played terribly!

Negatives

Nahas= gone
Houli= a couple of scared efforts tonight ( short steps, not backing into packs but acting like he got called out)
Martin's first half imo
Gus's dropped marks
Looked like little boys
Clearances especially from the centre, i lost  count of the times we tapped it straight to Mitchell

Positives

Cotchin
Martins second half
Cheers GR12. Lids seemed to just be happy with getting a first run under his belt playing for a half.

We lose the centre corridor because we move the ball too slowly and are too static. Same goes trying and failing to get the ball outside our defensive 50. We stop and prop between possessions and allow the opposition to set and reset their zone press. You need to  instead take possession and dispose the ball in almost one movement quickly and have teammates running hard into space with purpose or running to create space for another teammate to run into before the zone is fully set.

Btw for those that went how was Ty's game? He kicked 2 goals but did he back up last week's effort and lead and present hard at the ball?
I thought TV went quite well! Same old story for our forwards, he was down there alot as a lone target but by the time we moved the ball to him the numbers had got back. He took some strong marks! Kicked two goals, from memory, and maybe had five shots on goal.

What impressed me about TV was his work below his knees, he was quite agile and sharp!

The ruck strategy concerns me! They both seem to leap early and by the time the ball has reached their hands they have returned to the ground, therefore losing any height advantage!

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2011, 09:52:09 AM »

you look at the good teams. Davey, Jetta, Krak now, and who do we have. Nahas. Mr fantasy island himself. With him and Nason in the side expect another season of our players getting thrown to the ground.

Agree Dan the Man.

Nahas - mr gilligans island. Gilligan himself. A bumbling, weedy hack.

We should have delisted him and used our extra 2nd round pick. Either that or traded him to freo for a dog kennel.  

Nason will be ok, at least he has skills. Needs more time in the gym though.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »

Negatives

Nahas= gone
Martin's first half imo
Gus's dropped marks
Looked like little boys

Positives

Cotchin
Martins second half

Ok I was there too and thought we were terrible. Agree with most of what Go Rich12 said but will add a few of my own.

Nahas, why dont he even try to stay on his feet ?  His standard move seems to be tap the ball and slide and hope to be first up. Well if dont work 90% off the time and its easy pickings for opponents.
Our backline looked so small comparied to Roughead ,Franklin and the resting ruckman down there. Seeing lots of teams are going to rest a ruckman down foward this year we are going to need other options apart from the normal guys. That said I really like Ashbury, he will be our general down there for years to come I hope.
Our disposal is terrible, so many butchers out there you would think its some sort of convention.
Miller is not the answer thats for sure, he waved his arms around alot and pointed but not much else. Maybe is is being used as on feild coach for these games, who knows.
Our ruckmen just dont seem to know when to jump, that includes when going for a mark. Their timing is awful.
We seemed to try some sort of weird tactic of putting on play back in foward line on there own in the last quater to try and break up the zone, but it had no effect just ment that they had 18 in the zone and we had 17 to try and break it. They rotated the players used (bigs and smalls) but the hawks took no notice and just kept the pressing zone and kept the presure on.

Cotch was great, he sure goes in hard and I love that. Classy act
Ashbury (as I said above)
Griggs did some good things
They seemed to be trying to do what ever the instructions were with lots of talking and pointing. Thats a positive becasue it means Harwick has them playing for him.

Realy Bad
Nahas
Jackson and Tuck are the same old turn over merchants even though they go in hard. They were no alone though

I am sure I will find more to say once I read all this and have time to realy think about it.

One thing I will say is that I will bring up the old arguemnet about passing judgement on things just from seeing a game on TV. Although there are a few things you do miss by not being there (like that deep foward line player tatic) there are lots you just cant see at the ground (other side, other end, in close stuff). To be honest I find the TV few of things a much better way to make judgments but I know many will disagree.

Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
Fair summary Fluffy! I raced home, posted and then put my twin boys, who came with me, to bed! Thats why it was brief! I wish we had the chance to but a footy record at the game too! Its nice to look up the player's names and numbers! As far as venues go, Lavington is all over Shepp too imo!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
As far as venues go, Lavington is all over Shepp too imo!

Have to agree GR12 - I reckon the Lavington sports oval is a ripper to view a game (the sports club isn't bad either  ;D). Went to Deacon when the Tigers player the Bulldogs there years ago and you struggled to see what was happening on the other side of the ground as there isn't any form of terracing

Pity we weren't playing in Lavington tonight or today would have been up there in a flash  :thumbsup

Actually I am going ot be up that way next weekend for a family thingee.... ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Go Richo 12

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
As far as venues go, Lavington is all over Shepp too imo!

Have to agree GR12 - I reckon the Lavington sports oval is a ripper to view a game (the sports club isn't bad either  ;D). Went to Deacon when the Tigers player the Bulldogs there years ago and you struggled to see what was happening on the other side of the ground as there isn't any form of terracing

Pity we weren't playing in Lavington tonight or today would have been up there in a flash  :thumbsup

Actually I am going ot be up that way next weekend for a family thingee.... ;D
Be careful if in Dean Street! It gets a bit willing....

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »
:lol   We whacked Geelong in a practice match at this time last year and that was a portent of things to come wasn't it.

and Port whacked Geelong yesterday..