Author Topic: Richmond can win the premiership, Nathan Brown says (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1832 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond can win the premiership, Nathan Brown says

KATE SALEMME,
Herald Sun
2 July 2017

FORMER Richmond and Western Bulldogs forward Nathan Brown believes the Tigers can win the premiership this year after Saturday night’s stirring win over Port Adelaide.

The Tigers have lost just five games for the season and are now in the top four and a game clear of their rivals.

Damien Hardwick’s side has a favourable next month of matches and could start favourites in each of them — Brisbane (Etihad), GWS (MCG), Gold Coast (Metricon) and Hawthorn — to shore up their spot for the double chance.

“Of course they can (win the premiership),” he said on Channel 9. “I think any side right now in the top eight (can with it) and they are more credentialed than just about any.

“Their losses this year have been five (points), two, three and nine and against the top eight sides this year they are three and three — against the current top-eight sides.

“They lost to Adelaide badly but were in front just before half time and fell away.

“As the Bulldogs did from seventh last year, they’ve got a pretty good spine. They have the best centre halfback in the competition and the mosquito fleet they’ve added adds what they didn’t have last year.

“Any side in the top eight at the moment can win it and I think they are as well credentialed as any.”

Of the current top-eight teams, the Tigers have beaten West Coast (MCG), Melbourne and Port Adelaide and lost narrowly to GWS (Spotless) and Sydney.

The only outlier is the 76-point loss to Adelaide in Round 6 when they were blown away at Adelaide Oval.

The Tigers aren’t buying into the hype though, according to midfielder Brandon Ellis.

“It’s nice to see us sitting in the top four but there’s a long way to go, I think we’ve still got nine (home-and-away) games to go, so we can’t rest on that we’ve got a big second half of the year ahead,” Ellis said.

“You’ve got to (keep a lid on it). I think anyone is a premiership contender this year, you’ve seen how even the competition is.

“We honestly just take it week by week, I know it’s the old cliché and it’s not what you want to hear, but we do. You can’t really look more ahead than the next week.”

Hardwick is bullish about his team’s chances this season, sending an ominous warning to the rest of the competition after the 13-point win over the Power.

“We have still got a lot of improvement left in us,” he said. “Our best footy, mark my words, is still in front of us.

“They’re (the players are) exciting, there’s no doubt, I love watching them play ... we’re really excited by the players we have got on our list.

“A lot of those guys are young and developing and will only get better as the years go on.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-can-win-the-2017-premiership-according-to-former-tiger-and-bulldog-nathan-brown/news-story/efaf8018f783b89e7658bc099ca0bada

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Richmond can win the premiership, Nathan Brown says (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:15:06 AM »
Weren't they saying this about the Demons a week ago?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:52:47 AM »

And about us a week earlier. It'll be the Swans next week
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

tony_montana

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
They were saying it about port 2 weeks ago - then they realised they still havent beaten a top 8 side...

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
No we can't lol

I am still not convinced personally...

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
Haters gunna hate, but writers are gunna write ...    :gotigers   ;D

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 04:00:07 PM »
We can win it obviously if this happens.....

OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »
Not without a little more height up forward!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »
Structure is important

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 06:30:50 PM »
Richmond:

Seats aboard the Tiger train are filling fast after the slashing win over Port Adelaide on Saturday night. But can the 11th-best attack in the competition win a premiership? That's what the Tigers need to deal with. A 2017 flag to the Tigers will be built on the back of a brilliant backline and it won't be the first time that has happened.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-02/after-the-siren-the-flaws-that-could-stop-the-contenders

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 10:22:02 AM »

This is so true .....we are only a loss away from the possibility of missing finals .
Unleash the tornado

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
Geez - everybody is jumping on the tiger train

https://crownbet.com.au/blog/ducks-roast/ducks-roast-round-15/
Unleash the tornado