Author Topic: Tigers & rival clubs eye Ivan Maric for dual player/coach role (afl site)  (Read 2815 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rival clubs eye Ivan for dual player/coach role

AFL.com.au
11 August 2016

RICHMOND vice-captain Ivan Maric could move into a dual coaching and playing role at another club in 2017 as he weighs up his future in the game.

Maric, who is out of contract and not guaranteed another season with the Tigers, has attracted some interest from clubs who are keen to secure a back-up ruckman.

It is understood the 30-year-old's leadership traits are also drawing interest from clubs looking for a development coach who could play when injury strikes.

The role being floated by interested clubs would be similar to that played by Mark Jamar at Essendon this season.

Former Adelaide, Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions ruckman Ben Hudson also joined Collingwood in 2013 as a ruck coach but was on the club's list as insurance, playing seven games over two seasons.

It is believed Richmond, which is developing Maric's cousin Ivan Soldo on its rookie list, is one of the clubs discussing such a role with Maric beyond 2016.

On Thursday, coach Damien Hardwick said a decision on Maric would have to wait until the end of the season.

"That's a list management decision we'll work our way through," Hardwick said.

"Ivan is an important player for us and he probably hasn't had the year that he or us would like.

"He's had some injury concerns across the year and just hasn't really got up and going at any stage.

"But we know what Ivan can do and Ivan at his best is a very, very good AFL player."

Maric, who comes out of contract at the end of the year, missed the opening four rounds of the season because of a back injury.

The 30-year-old was dropped after playing rounds five and six, with Shaun Hampson overtaking him as the Tigers' No.1 ruckman.

Form and fitness issues mean Maric has played just one game since, against Port Adelaide in round 15.

In sharp contrast, Hampson's career-best season was rewarded with a two-year contract extension earlier this week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-11/maric-draws-rival-interest

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

In sharp contrast, Hampson's career-best season was rewarded with a two-year contract extension earlier this week.

Yesssssss  :clapping

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Yesssssss  :clapping
I have it on good authority that he was offered the 2 years after he had his best training session for the year! :clapping ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
I have heard from some one who spoke to Maric's partner that he was pretty much told he was not in the plans for 2017.
I believe my source, I don't know whether she is just bitter of what has happened this year. But can only advise you guys of what i have heard.
Makes me sick if true, give Hampson 2 years but throw Maric away....

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I have heard from some one who spoke to Maric's partner that he was pretty much told he was not in the plans for 2017.
I believe my source, I don't know whether she is just bitter of what has happened this year. But can only advise you guys of what i have heard.
To be honest Pottsy, Maric is cooked. He shouldn't need the club to tell him that.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
1st rounder please  :clapping
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Will slot in perfectly with fellow, new coach, Troy Chaplin.

Dimmer is a genius.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Will slot in perfectly with fellow, new coach, Troy Chaplin.

Dimmer is a genius.

Surrounding himself with spineless yes men.
Unleash the tornado

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Would keep him at the club in some capacity

Rookie spot or captain of our VFL side with development coaching role

RFC could do a lot worse than have this quality individual at our club
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Ruck coach for the squad would be super. That way he has a development role and can focus on his cousin!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

If he seriously thinks he's AFL quality then he can take his entitled attitude elsewhere because I'm sick & tired of players at Richmond dictating the agenda
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

Honestly, if the club acted in any other way I'd be sick. No disrespect to Ivan - he's been a wonderful servant of the club and one of the few who's endeavor I'd never question - but he's suffering from a reoccurring injury and on the wrong side of 30. At no point has he looked up to standard this season, and has been disappointing even at VFL level. The club has been wonderful for Ivan in return.
 I'm upset that he'll never be able to represent us again; I'll surely miss his heart and tenacity, but its just one of those things I guess. All the best Ivan - would love for him to stay involved at the club in some capacity.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Thank you Ivan ... move on please ...

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Who needs cap or list space when we can be a charity or convalescent home instead?  :gotigers
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
be good to keep Ivan in a Coaching role, could be great for developing Ivan jr.