Author Topic: Which players are essential to Richmond's fortunes in 2010?  (Read 1322 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Which players are essential to Richmond's fortunes in 2010?
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:39:57 PM »
The question comes from the AFL website ........ http://www.afl.com.au/offseason/richmond/rateyourlist/tabid/15091/newsid/84820/default.aspx

Which players are essential to Richmond's fortunes in 2010?

Jackstar is back

Re: Which players are essential to Richmond's fortunes in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
Here goes.
* need a tall back player to improve- Would say Thursfield will need to show the form of 3-4 years ago and stand-out. Dont see much more improvement in Moore or McGaune.
* Cotchin and Foley will need to play 22 games for the year.
* Riewoldt  will need to take the next step. Career defining season next year.
* Both Post and Vickery need to take the game by the neck and have presence in the game,
* Morton will needs to produce an extra 15-20 goals more than 2009.  Realistic target I would think.
* Collins will need to play midfield

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:12:40 PM »
I'm not dissimilar to Jack here but here is my take.  :thumbsup

If we are to suddenly (and many people would say miraculously  :pray) become a finals side we would need -

Lids need to step up again and become mentioned in the same breath as midfielders such as Judd, Ablett and Cooney.

Cotchin will need to become a consistently good midfielder with games of brilliance such as what Selwood or Rich.

Riewoldt needs to start impose himself on game with Post gaining both size and mongrel to hit the packs and bring the ball down to Nahas, Edwards, Hislop and Morton.

Gus needs to learn how to hurt other ruck men and gain the fitness to cover the ground

Moore, Thursfield and McGuane need to become a feared defensive unit under the tutorage of Leppitch.

Cousins and RIcho need to remain injury free and play at their best for the season.

Other than that to make the finals JC and Superman would have to don the yellow and black to give us a chance.  :help :D

All in all I just want to see our young players to continue to improve.

Stripes

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:15:23 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what 'fortunes' means, whether that means ladder position or it means that our development is on the right track, but I'd be most happy to see a KP forward develop. Either Riewoldt kicks 40 or Rance tries his hand down forward and shows his set shots are better than his on-the-run kicks, or Gourdis gets a run and shows something - something, anything. Not overly hopeful, but I'm not sure we'll ever look anything like a premiership side without a marking forward. We'll end up doing a Bulldogs with Johnno and pushing Deledio into the fwd 50.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
If Deledio can play a full season in the vein of form he showed in the last half a dozen games this year, get on him for the brownlow. I'd also like to see him allowed space and time to kick more. He's the best kick in the side.

Cotchin will be in his third year, hopefully he can get a full pre-season under his belt. If he does, look out.

A fully fit Foley would also be a great bonus.

Riewoldt should get more shots at goal. I'm expecting Hardwick's gameplan to allow us more than 30 I50's a game.

Edwards to have a Bernie Vince-like rise to stardom.

I'm not worried about our defence, its the defensive efforts of the midfield that hurt us. I hope this improves.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »

I'm not worried about our defence, its the defensive efforts of the midfield that hurt us. I hope this improves.

Amen to that.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
If Deledio can play a full season in the vein of form he showed in the last half a dozen games this year, get on him for the brownlow. I'd also like to see him allowed space and time to kick more. He's the best kick in the side.

Been sweating on this one, will be watching closley how he polls last half of season. If he is an umpire eye catcher may have to have a bit of a hit early on if he starts in good form in 2010.

Cotchin will be in his third year, hopefully he can get a full pre-season under his belt. If he does, look out.

We're due for a change of luck, full preseason and grown into his body will at least give us Tiger supporters some entertainment in 2010.

A fully fit Foley would also be a great bonus.

Riewoldt should get more shots at goal. I'm expecting Hardwick's gameplan to allow us more than 30 I50's a game.

Edwards to have a Bernie Vince-like rise to stardom.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »

It is also the lack of defensive pressure/efforts by our forwards (except for Naha) that also kills us. Our forward (inside 50) pressure has been terrible for a long time 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:44:31 PM »
Players that want to succeed and those that want to see the RFC succeed. Not somebody who is just after a paycheck and the security an AFL career provides which is what we seem to have had.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »
Given we are in dreamland I'll have a go. I'm good at dreaming.

Though what did Hardwick say "we have to stop hoping, we have to start believing" at the Jack Dyer or something like that.  Very inspirational, I like the guy already.

I agree with most already said so Ill mention different things.

Tambling playing well from the get go of the season and averaging 25+ possessions per game would really help a lot.  He seems to warm up around round 12, they need to change his training regime so he is producing his best by round 5.

No injuries in the back line this year and a settled back 6 for the entire year.

The team adopt a defensive pressure style involving lots of tackling, regular flooding and defensive zones around the pack. 

And the coach NOT to lose his nerve when games get close or change his game plan after 5 minutes of play.

Ox

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 01:03:51 AM »
14 we haven't got.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 01:17:10 AM »
Players that want to succeed and those that want to see the RFC succeed. Not somebody who is just after a paycheck and the security an AFL career provides which is what we seem to have had.
An AFL career provides security? Only a long one i'd imagine.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
An AFL career provides security? Only a long one i'd imagine.

Financial security GR12. Even on 200K a year you earn 1 million in 5 years not including any bonuses. Just an average AFL salary and in the system for 5 years and you have a house and money to put your kid through a private school. Now that's more security than working for the man for $40 bucks an hour.