Author Topic: Dylan Grimes [merged]  (Read 233806 times)

Jackstar is back again

Re: Dylan Grimes [merged]
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »
WP, the handball to Nason in front of us was terrible.
nearly got Nason killed
The hit was a big one

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
WP, the handball to Nason in front of us was terrible.
nearly got Nason killed
The hit was a big one

Not disputing that Jack again & again  ;D

But crdit where credit is due - that dive/spoil on the goal line was fantastic
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:26 PM »
the spoil was good.
problem is we play him as a tall, when he needs to play on a medium type

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2011, 01:35:23 AM »
My opinion on Rance is he lacks footy awareness. No doubt he is very courageous he puts his body on the line. I've always admired a player for this. But he seems to be always unaware of what's coming so he gets caught too often.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2011, 02:10:48 AM »
My opinion on Rance is he lacks footy awareness. No doubt he is very courageous he puts his body on the line. I've always admired a player for this. But he seems to be always unaware of what's coming so he gets caught too often.
I don't recall this happening at all against North
Remember, he's still only played 2 dozen games

gerkin greg

« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
I just watched the replay after downloading it and Rance was pretty good, he was very attacking with his disposal and his kicking has improved a long way.
A bit rusty at the start of the match, but most of the goals were kicked on McGuane, not Rance

Yeah agree his kicking has come up to the required level, he got better as the game went on and he creates. As opposed to McGuane who just stops and blows his sexual safety whistle.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:09:40 PM by gerkin greg »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »
Spoiler Dylan Grimes grows in stature

Matt Windley
    April 30, 2011

YOU may not know it but, until last week, Dylan Grimes held an AFL record.

His tally of 15 spoils against Hawthorn in Round 3 tied him with Brisbane Lion Daniel Merrett and Geelong's Harry Taylor for the most in a game.

But Grimes' time at the top was short lived as Merrett had 19 spoils against St Kilda last week.

"I didn't even know I had the record," Grimes said.

"A.C (Richmond media manager Adrian Ceddia) mentioned it to me after I'd already been knocked off by Merrett.

"My main role really was to shut down my direct opponent and go from there. I guess I was just lucky that sometimes I found myself in the right position."

Grimes remains No.1 in the AFL this season for spoils, averaging 13 per game.

Following the suspensions of teammates Alex Rance and Luke McGuane in the opening rounds, the 19-year-old was required to hold down a key defensive post against two of the best forwards in the game.

At 193cm and 87kg, he gave away plenty of size against Hawthorn's Lance Franklin (193cm/96kg) and Collingwood's Travis Cloke (196cm/103kg) the next week.

But Richmond's No.2 pick in the 2010 pre-season draft, who tonight will play just his fifth senior game after making his debut in Round 22 last year, has enjoyed taking on some of the game's best forwards.

"My development has really been fast-tracked, I reckon, from the opportunity I've had to play on such high quality players," he said.

For the record, Grimes held Franklin and Cloke to three goals each before restricting North Melbourne's Lindsay Thomas to just five possessions and three behinds in the Tigers' first win of the season last weekend.

Richmond football manager Ross Monaghan said the fact Grimes had been able to retain his spot after the return of Rance and McGuane was "a real credit to him".

"He's earned an opportunity and he's really stood up and grasped it with both hands," Monaghan said.

"We realised we were undermanned in terms of body strength and size down back for a couple of weeks where we had suspensions.

"But he coped as best as he could. He was certainly undersized, but what he lacks in genuine stature he makes up for in terms of real commitment and real want to do well.

"He also gives us some real flexibility because he's so quick.

"And, with an attitude like his, he just saw the opportunity to play against the likes of Franklin and Cloke as a chance to improve. He wasn't daunted by it. It holds him in good stead for the future."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/spoiler-dylan-grimes-grows-in-stature/story-e6frf9jf-1226047338605

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »
Rance is not a bad player 

Grimes looks the good.

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »
Guy Mckenna gave Grimes a big wrap on the radio

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
Rance is not a bad player 

Grimes looks the good.

Rate them both Today, Grimes closing speed and spoils were fantasic and rance showed heaps today too.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

tony_montana

« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
Reads the play well and jumps in as 3rd man with a big spoil a lot - actually spoils 1 on 1 a lot too. Really like the look of Grimes, awesome closing speed. Sorry to threadjack but Rance's improvement is out of sight, could be looking at 2 of our long term defenders there

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
Played his best game for us tonight, if there is a knock that would be he looks to spoil to often, sometimes he just needs to back himself and go for the mark or just try and take the ball and go! I am sure it will come as his confidence grows........

Dito Rance........

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2011, 10:17:20 PM »
Agree with both previous posters.  I like what I've seen from Grimes but I hope with all my heart he doesn't go down the Thursfield path.  At least he appears to involve himself much more in general play than Will.  And Rance is starting to make me reconsider my opinion of him.  He is showing a lot of improvement and finally living up to his potential this year.

gerkin greg

« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2011, 10:42:15 PM »
Last quarter he was pushing right up to the centre and getting involved  :thumbsup

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2011, 10:55:55 PM »
Grimes been really solid in all his games in my opinion. Has the nerves when going for easy marks and likes to spoil instead of marking. An area that is easily improved.

Great closing speed and reads play really well. Is as good as Nick Maxwell is now.

Rance was sensational tonight.
Go Tigers!