Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263893 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2010, 08:54:26 AM »

He said the injury happened in Tassie, basically his leg went one way and his heel and foot twisted the other

I've had that happen on the way home from the pub on a Friday night.    :whistle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
Astbury makes his mark
richmondfc.com.au
By Murray Belkin
Mon 19 April, 2010

RICHMOND'S David Astbury could not have dreamed of a better AFL debut, kicking two goals in the first quarter of Sunday's match with Melbourne at the MCG.

One of them will be forever entrenched in his memory. Astbury was at the foot of a pack, and after somehow managing to find the ball in his hands, the youngster dribbled it through with the outside of his boot to the delight of the Tiger faithful.

But the youngster didn’t take all the credit for it.

“I think it was just though the hard work from the other boys and I was just lucky to be on the end of it,” the level-headed Tiger said after the game.

Astbury finished with three goals in an impressive debut, and while he only had seven possessions, he was pleased with his performance while being relieved to get game number one out of the way.

“It was obviously a little bit of disappointment with the result, but it was good to get the first one on the board and get a couple of kicks as well,” he said.

Taken at pick 35 in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft from the North Ballarat Rebels, Astbury showed glimpses that the Tigers' search for a key position forward to partner Jack Riewoldt may be over.

“I’ve got plenty of development in my body, but hopefully I’ll get a few more games under my belt," he said.

The 19-year-old was one of three Tiger players to make their debut in the yellow and black on Sunday, and Astbury was adamant this year was not all doom and gloom for Tiger supporters.

“We have got six or seven blokes that have played less than five games of footy for the club that were in today’s team,” he said.

“I suppose we can take plenty out of games like this, and moving forward I think we will be competitive. We’re not too far away."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/92615/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
I'd love to think that Astbury will become one of our key position players in the future. Obviously is a better set shot than Jack already. Throw Griffiths into the mix and we may have an embarrassment of riches in the forwardline in a  few year (dare to dream.... :pray)

Stripes

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »
I'd like to see him take a couple of strong grabs and bang through some 40-50 metre set shot goals in the next few weeks.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
I'd like to see him take a couple of strong grabs and bang through some 40-50 metre set shot goals in the next few weeks.
I think we need to start setting our expectations higher on our kids.
If he doesn't win the Coleman medal this year then we should trade him for a 3rd string ruckman from another club  ;)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »
I think we need to start setting our expectations higher on our kids.
If he doesn't win the Coleman medal this year then we should trade him for a 3rd string ruckman from another club  ;)

Lol.  :clapping
Go Tigers!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »
i think the last tiger player i saw kick a goal from that boundary and so deliberate was Michael Roach
astbury could be a gem

TigerTimeII

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »
watched the replay again

his 4th qtr goal was all class

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
Here's the video highlights of Astbury's first game from the RFC site

http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/259029

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »
Gee what I really liked was the pressure from both Astbury and Jack working together to create those goals... good mojo together.  Have to point out the first one was a nice drive forward from Simmonds from the middle that created the opportunity too..
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
David debuts
SARAH SCULLY
Ararat Advertiser
23 Apr, 2010

TATYOON - David Astbury's debut for the Richmond Football Club impressed his coach, the Tiger faithful and media commentators, but the 19-year-old from Tatyoon remains remarkably down to earth.

Astbury was one of three Tiger cubs, along with Troy Taylor and fellow former-Rebel Matt Dea, to get his big break against Melbourne on Sunday after four Richmond regulars were suspended.

''It was good to get the first game out of the way. I probably got a bit lucky and kicked a few goals,'' Astbury said.

Astbury finished the match with seven disposals, three marks and three goals, including two in the first quarter.

Luck may have played a very small part, but it is Astbury's skill and composure that has coach Damien Hardwick grooming him for a key role in the club's future.

''Astbury I thought was very, very good (on debut) for a first year, key-position player,'' Hardwick said.

''His leadership, his ability to demand the ball and to tell other players when and where to go was outstanding.''

While Hardwick was disappointed by his side's 55-point loss, he said he would take a number of positives from the match.

''We've got some work to do with those boys (Astbury, Taylor and Dea). They have to build on those games. But from a Richmond football club point-of-view we are very happy with their performances today.''

Although Astbury is versatile enough to excel at either end of the ground, Hardwick has plans to make Astbury the club's future key forward once he gains experience and his body matures.

''He's got a little time for me,'' Astbury said of Hardwick.

''That's where I want to play long term.''

Things have moved quickly for Astbury since he was drafted to Richmond as the number 35 pick last November.

He now lives in Melbourne, with a supportive host family who understand the ups and downs of forging a career in football.

He is also adapting to a new schedule which requires him to train six days a week.

''The past few months have been really good,'' Astbury said.

''I've established a few very good relationships with players around the club and so far I've had a really good time.''

In addition to his football commitments, Astbury is studying a civil engineering and business degree at Swinburne University.

''I've started studying to take my mind off footy, as a bit of a release, and I have a whole other network of friends there as well.''

Astbury said his friends and family were all eagerly anticipating his debut.

''My family came to watch. I heard from a few of the people that were there that they were pretty excited,'' Astbury said.

His father Craig said the families and friends of the debutantes sat together for the match.

''The parents of the debutantes were invited to the rooms, into the inner sanctum, where Frances Bourke presented the boys with their jumpers,'' Mr Astbury, said.

''He talked about the significance of the jumper and how it will reward them over and over if they're prepared to put in the work. It was quite a moving presentation actually.''

Mr Astbury said the whole experience was very exciting.

''David didn't have a lot of possessions but he made the most of his opportunities, which has been the hallmark of his footy so far - his composure and his thinking,'' he said.

Although Richmond is yet to win a match, Mr Astbury believes there are some encouraging signs for the Tigers' long-term future, provided the boys work hard and stick to Hardwick's game plan.

''David's a good listener, he's quite coachable. He's been very committed to getting a game - I admire his commitment,'' he said.

''He's got a fair way to go but he's got to keep taking these steps to forge a regular spot in the team.''

Astbury is expected to line up for the Tigers on Sunday night as Richmond take on the Fremantle Dockers at Subiaco.

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/david-debuts/1811262.aspx?storypage=0

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »
Not flashy stats or highlights but I liked Astbury's game today from the reason he showed he has clean hands and skills for tall and is capable of playing at either end of the ground. You felt assured when he had the footy that he'd do the right thing.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2010, 08:26:14 PM »
Not flashy stats or highlights but I liked Astbury's game today from the reason he showed he has clean hands and skills for tall and is capable of playing at either end of the ground. You felt assured when he had the footy that he'd do the right thing.

Yep, fully agree MT.  Astbury's game stood out to me in that he was one player I had very little expectations of given the conditions and he proved me very wrong.  He was in every contest and contributed his fair share.  A really encouraging game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
Yep, fully agree MT.  Astbury's game stood out to me in that he was one player I had very little expectations of given the conditions and he proved me very wrong.  He was in every contest and contributed his fair share.  A really encouraging game.
Agree smokey.

It also shows the value of holding onto your 3rd round picks. It's these picks that make a draft for any club. In the past it was this pick we would trade away for other clubs' fringe duds. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »
So true, which only suggest that we could trade our duds for 3rd round picks now and again.