Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 65358 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
Tony Abbot has the wrong idea on how to stop boats, what we should do is place some frigates out at sea and everytime we see these bludgers coming our way we should just sink the bastards.

Pretty sure that there would have been some who held similar sentiments when your family arrived on our shores.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

10 FLAGS

« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
Tony Abbot has the wrong idea on how to stop boats, what we should do is place some frigates out at sea and everytime we see these bludgers coming our way we should just sink the bastards.

Pretty sure that there would have been some who held similar sentiments when your family arrived on our shores.

There is a major difference as how the wogs who came out here in the 50 and 60s and how these boat people arrive now. In the 50s and the 60s when people came out they had to fill out their paperwork, they had to undergo medical tests before they arrived, they had to have a sponsor family who could provide accomodation for a minimum period and the people arriving had to have a guaranteed job to come to - thats how my mum and dad came out to Australia. They didnt come here unwelcomed- they went through the hoops and fulfilled all the criteria set out by the Australian Government. Thats a fair way different to whats happening now you's have to admit that.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »
maybe not, but the bigoted, xenophobic sentiments held by the ignorant were still the same.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »

There is a major difference as how the wogs who came out here in the 50 and 60s and how these boat people arrive now. In the 50s and the 60s when people came out they had to fill out their paperwork, they had to undergo medical tests before they arrived, they had to have a sponsor family who could provide accomodation for a minimum period and the people arriving had to have a guaranteed job to come to - thats how my mum and dad came out to Australia. They didnt come here unwelcomed- they went through the hoops and fulfilled all the criteria set out by the Australian Government. Thats a fair way different to whats happening now you's have to admit that.

Add to that they generally had an excellent work ethic and didnt rely on welfare (admittedly there was less welfare in those days) paid for by tax payers to live, to the extent that it happens today. 

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »
Seeing as the majority of illegal boat people these days are Afghan, I'm wondering if the allied forces were to pull out of Afghanistan (which is essentially a war that cannot be won) whether it would reduce the number of asylum seekers? Personally I think it would. It worked with the Vietnamese refugees of the 70's.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
..well no war raging in a country reduces the need for people to look elsewhere to live, youd expect.

seeking refugee status, or asylum isn't illegal, though.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:09 AM »

Only told they were wogs and dagoes who should go back to where they came from. Yep very welcomed to Australia Ramps :lol. My Italian grandparent's shop was even firebombed once  :help. The more things change they more they remain the same. It's always the latest wave of immigrants that cop all the crap.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

10 FLAGS

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »

Only told they were wogs and dagoes who should go back to where they came from. Yep very welcomed to Australia Ramps :lol. My Italian grandparent's shop was even firebombed once  :help. The more things change they more they remain the same. It's always the latest wave of immigrants that cop all the crap.

All immigrants cop crap. Even 2nd and 3rd generation wogs still cop crap but in the end theres a difference again between how we all assimilated and the newbies of today who dont want to assimilate. Italians came from a european catholic christian background, greeks came from a european chritian orthodox tradition. Australia is a christian country - that should be the basis as to who should get in.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
before the wogs came we were a white country, and many believed that should be the basis on who gets in.

what's the difference?

if we take irish Christians, which do we take? the protestants or the catholics.? The effers hate each other.

Y'know my grandmother refused to go to my brothers wedding because he married a catholic.  :wallywink

bigotry is bigotry, no matter what it is based on

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »
So who is the bigot? The person that refuses to assimilate or the person it pi55es off?
Too much of a bullsh!t argument really .......

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »
So who is the bigot? The person that refuses to assimilate or the person it pi55es off?
Too much of a bullpoo argument really .......

Well said CUB.  :clapping :clapping I think it all depends on who the media focuses on at the time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
Too much of a bullpoo argument really .......

Well said CUB.  :clapping :clapping I think it all depends on who the media focuses on at the time.

I reckon you're on the money tiga (sadly)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »

ASYLUM MYTH REVEALED: Boat numbers are actually falling

Mar 27, 2012 3:03pm

THE number of asylum seekers who came to Australia last year fell by nearly 10 per cent, the UN's refugee agency reported today.

That showed the numbers of refugee applicants arriving here was "modest - and certainly manageable," according to the United Nations' High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

World-wide there was a 20 per cent increase in the number of people looking for havens in the 44 industrialised nations surveyed by the UNHCR.

The fall-off in Australian numbers was "largely due to a reduction in the number of people coming to Australia by boat," according to the UNHCR.

"This report shows clearly that the numbers of asylum-seekers coming to Australia are modest - and certainly manageable - when compared to many other industrialised countries," UNHCR regional representative Richard Towle said.

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/news/top/news-com-au/asylum-myth-revealed-boat-numbers-are-actually-falling/626096

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:11 AM »
What if aliens substituted our government with idiots, and we're all just part of a massive tv program to see how long it takes to figure it out?

What if we are all wacko but we are too unintelligent to know?

What if the first humans were super smart and the reason we are so dumb is because we are all inbred?

What if what we are living is so stuffed up because its an alternate reality to the real world?

What if we cant walk through mirrors only because our reflection is in the way?

What if every time we have déjà vu, its because we actually died and we have just reincarnated to the last save point?

What if all the animals talk the same language and were the odd ones out?

What if you are the only person that exists, and everyone else is a robot?

What if you are in the process of dying, and your life you live is simply flashing before your eyes?

What if in an alternate world, girls hump guys, poot tastes good and hamburgers eat people?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:19:34 AM by one-eyed »

gerkin greg

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2012, 12:18:01 AM »
What if in an alternate world, girls hump guys, poot tastes good and hamburgers eat people?

Love Japan. Great country  :thumbsup