Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 65349 times)

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2012, 07:24:08 AM »
There is another boat in distress this morning  :huh

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
Seem's like I am the odd one out here who doesn't agree with Gillard's human swap deal with a country that isn't a signed UNHCR country.

Also Malaysia is nothing more than a band-aid solution which wouldn't even last a month. The deal is to transfer 800 people. In May alone we had more than 1,100 arrivals.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
Seem's like I am the odd one out here who doesn't agree with Gillard's human swap deal with a country that isn't a signed UNHCR country.

Also Malaysia is nothing more than a band-aid solution which wouldn't even last a month. The deal is to transfer 800 people. In May alone we had more than 1,100 arrivals.

Can I ask did you support the Nairu (sp?) when the Howard Govt introduced that? Reason I ask is because at the time that legislation was introduced Nairu hadn't signed the UNHCR either but that seems to have been forgotten (Abbott actually refused to answer a question about it a few days ago).

I find it staggering that coalition pollies are playing the UNHCR card when they had no issue with a country not being signed to it previously when they needed Nairu.

While Maylaysia seems like a band aid solution we need to something now!

And also don't forget that on top of Maylasia this amended legislation also allows for off shore processing in Nairu, the govt said they will re-open it and I dont believe they can afford not to

Bottom line none of them should be playing politics or trying to score points or win votes on this. They just need to do something.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

10 FLAGS

« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »

The people swapping exercise is another disgrace. The country doesnt have any leadership at all at these times. We need real leaders to work this out.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
As for WP's question on Nairu - whilst they are/were not a signatury to UN the reality is Australia as a country can exercise its will on Nairu, if we send people to Malaysia we get no say because the Malaysians hate us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »

The people swapping exercise is another disgrace. The country doesnt have any leadership at all at these times. We need real leaders to work this out.

Would say their is a distinct lake of leadership on both sides of politics on this issue

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
Senate has rejected the bill. Back to square one  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Stopping the boats - the solution
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »

Okay

A solution from left field.

The asylum seekers are heading for one of three destinations, Christmas island, the Cocos islands or Ashmore reef.

All of which are relatively close to Indonesia.

The solution is quite simple, move the inhabitants of the islands to the mainland and then send in the B52s and flatten the island and the reef so they sink into the Indian ocean.

The trip to Australian territory then becomes so great as to deter anybody.

:thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »
Senate has rejected the bill. Back to square one  ::).

Yep every single pollie and I mean every one of them should hang their collective heads in shame

They could have fixed this today but refused to do so

Poor leadership from those controlling the senate, they made it about Politics and not about fixing this mess

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
If we're going with the crazy and absurb '65 then get the Aust. Govt. to become people smugglers and fly the asylum seekers in while getting paid to do it. No more boats :wallywink.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »
If we're going with the crazy and absurb '65 then get the Aust. Govt. to become people smugglers and fly the asylum seekers in while getting paid to do it. No more boats :wallywink.

Now you have just made me very mad.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Why didn't I think of that.

:bow to MT

Seriously the 6 week winter break has come at a good time.

How many games can we win in the next six weeks?

Stuff the people who die at sea, Conca getting dropped is far more important.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
Stop the boats.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
When Gillard first replaced Rudd she should of put Abbott's Nauru solution in place. I don't think it would of stopped the boats so sooner she proves that the sooner her policy has a better chance. But she seems to stubborn to cave in even when she has nothing to lose. She needs a game changer(working policy people actually support) to win back voters or to prove Abbott's policies won't fix the problem. 

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »
 :sleep

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »
When Gillard first replaced Rudd she should of put Abbott's Nauru solution in place. I don't think it would of stopped the boats so sooner she proves that the sooner her policy has a better chance. But she seems to stubborn to cave in even when she has nothing to lose. She needs a game changer(working policy people actually support) to win back voters or to prove Abbott's policies won't fix the problem.

Well that is exactly what happened.

Tony has won the battle but 12 months hence the great unwashed will have forgotten and Julia might just win the war.

Good economic record, no more boats to stop, and "the great big new tax on everything" a complete non-issue (just like the GST).

Industrial relations is the big sleeper in the next election.

:thumbsup