Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 65355 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »

Tony couldn't find a a three star general he got a two star one and promoted him.

And he hasn't stopped the boats yet.

:lol

Two-star veteran Angus Campbell promoted to run border protection

Deputy Chief of Army Angus Campbell will be named Tony Abbott's three-star military commander of border protection, with the job of co-ordinating the new government's tough asylum-seeker policies.

The former SAS commander and deputy National Security Adviser has emerged as Defence's choice to head up the 16 departments and agencies under the Coalition's Operation Sovereign Borders policy, which effectively militarises border protection.

Major-General Campbell's task will include finding a way to meet Mr Abbott's controversial pledge to turn back asylum-seeker boats where it is safe to do so. He will answer directly to Immigration Minister Scott Morrison.

Mr Abbott branded border protection a "national emergency" that needed to be tackled with the clout of a senior military commander when he unveiled Operation Sovereign Borders in late July.

General Campbell's job will be to co-ordinate a joint taskforce made up of government agencies ranging from ASIO to the Immigration Department, as well as the Australian Defence Force and the Federal Police.

It is understood he was regarded as right for the job in part because of his experience working inside government as a civilian in national security, which involved co-ordinating national security policy across the government.

The Chief of the Defence Force, General David Hurley, will recommend his appointment to the government, which is due to be sworn in on Wednesday morning. Mr Abbott is expected to announce the appointment in the coming days.

He has previously been the commander of Australia's military operations in the Middle East, which includes Afghanistan and Iraq. He has also served in East Timor.

Currently a two-star rank, he will be promoted to the three-star rank of Lieutenant-General.

About 475 asylum-seekers have arrived on seven boats in the 10 days since Mr Abbott led the Coalition to victory.

As opposition leader he repeatedly promised that one of his top priorities would be to "stop the boats".

On Monday, he called it a "stand-or-fall issue" for the new government.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/twostar-veteran-angus-campbell-promoted-to-run-border-protection-20130917-2twru.html#ixzz2f8bDFPJy

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2013, 08:44:36 PM »

Tony couldn't find a a three star general he got a two star one and promoted him.

And he hasn't stopped the boats yet.

:rollin

Your bias and hatred of Abbott is surpassed only by your complete ignorance of how our military works.

There would not be a better credentialed officer to do the job he has been given and the promotion is entirely appropriate considering his time in rank, his past appointments and his new role.

And I'm not in the least surprised that you think 10 days is ample time for the new government to have fixed the stuff ups of the previous muppets.

http://www.army.gov.au/Who-we-are/Leaders/Deputy-Chief-of-Army

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »
Crap. He was given the promotion so Tony didn't look more like a fool than normal.

and today is the day he stops the boats   :lol

Border-control policies kick in

Mr Abbott has said the Coalition's asylum seeker policy, Operation Sovereign Borders, will begin today and "will start to make a difference from day one".

The operation, which was announced in July, sets out a military response to fight people smuggling.

Late yesterday it was revealed that Deputy Chief of Army Major General Angus Campbell will head up the operation.

The former SAS officer was the deputy national security adviser to former prime minister John Howard.

The policy also establishes Operation Relex II, which aims to turn back asylum seeker boats "where it is safe to do so".

Since the September 7 election, seven asylum seeker boats have arrived, carrying 480 passengers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-18/tony-abbotts-new-ministry-to-be-sworn-in-today/4963842

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2013, 07:13:38 AM »
and another quote from Abbott

Mr Abbott has said Operation Sovereign Borders will have an immediate effect once it begins.

"It will start to make a difference from day one. It will steadily be put into effect and I am confident we can stop the boats," he told a press conference earlier this week.

"This is one of those stand or fall issues. It really is."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-17/angus-campbell-to-oversee-abbotts-border-protection-plan/4963732

So if he doesn't stop the boats he will fall on his own sword?

We can only hope.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
And if he does stop them you will acknowledge his good work and commitment to his word?

Yep, and look, bacon rashers are soaring overhead.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
Crap. He was given the promotion so Tony didn't look more like a fool than normal.

Again, complete ignorance as to how the military system works.  But prattle on, it's amusing.   :lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
As most know I am no fan of our new PM

But serously 1965 your vitirolic rambling towards him on this issue is ridiculous

I know very little about how the military works with regard to promotion and to me it isn't about rank is is about getting the best possible person for the job.

So IMV Abbott has got this right. Based soley on reputation and what he has achieved in career (based on the research available) Deputy Chief of Army Angus Campbell is the right person for this job. Lets not kid ourselves it is going to be a bloody tough job

As for the boats not having stopped yet. Despite what anyone says including the PM, it isn't going to happen overnight. Granted I think it is a foolish statement to say this new policy will make a difference from day one. But that's a pollie simply telling people what they want to hear and sticking to script re what has been promised.

I am prepared to give this Govt time to implement it and to see if it works. If it does I'll be the first to say "well done" if it doesn't then they will cope the appropriate whacks. wonder if others will be prepared to do the same

Personally I reckon the next 6-12 months is when you judge its success or failure
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »
And if he does stop them you will acknowledge his good work and commitment to his word?

Yep, and look, bacon rashers are soaring overhead.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
Stop the boats

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
where was that catch cry when we were being overrun by the 2 bob poms?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2013, 05:55:57 AM »

No rambling just an article from the Age about Indonesia's reaction to our new border protection policies.

Tony Abbott's asylum seeker policies 'offensive', says senior Indonesian politician
Date September 19, 2013
 Michael Bachelard
Michael Bachelard

Another senior Indonesian politician has described Tony Abbott’s asylum seeker policies as “very offensive” and an attack on his country’s sovereignty, adding that if they were not changed they would damage the bilateral relationship.

The comment by parliamentarian Tantowi Yahya is the latest in a series of slights to one of the Prime Minister’s signature policies, and Fairfax Media has confirmed antipathy to it exists across Indonesia’s political spectrum.

The policy annoys our sovereignty as an independent country 
Mr Abbott will visit Jakarta on September 30 with foreign affairs minister Julie Bishop and immigration minister Scott Morrison to explain his policies to president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

But Ms Bishop has already outlined a hard-nosed approach to those talks, saying last week: “We’re not seeking Indonesia’s permission … we’re seeking their understanding”.

Mr Tantowi is a member of the Indonesian parliament’s “Commission I”, responsible for foreign affairs. He told the ABC’s Lateline program on Wednesday that there were no circumstances under which Indonesia would accept Mr Abbott’s boat tow-back policy.

“No, we don't agree with that. This is, I can say, something like a consensus between the Government and the parliament not to agree with the plan which is now being projected by the new Prime Minister, Mr Tony Abbott,” Mr Tantowi said.

The policy “annoys our sovereignty as an independent country.”

“I think the policy will be very offensive and we in the parliaments fully support what was said by our foreign ministers, that we will fully reject the policy,” Mr Tantowi said.

Mr Tantowi is a member of the Golkar Party, and in Mr Yudhoyono's governing coalition.

But Fairfax Media has confirmed that Mr Abbott’s plan is unpopular in the executive, the parliament and through the bureaucracy.

A senior Indonesian political source said on condition of anonymity that the problem was not just with the tow-back policy, but with other aspects of Mr Abbott’s plan.

“It’s against our interests if other countries conduct activities which breach our sovereignty, such as, I can say it very clearly, the idea of buying boats and of intelligence gathering [in villages]. All those kids of activities, I think wouldn’t be consistent with Indonesia’s sovereignty,” the source said.

“To pay people for information it would not be considered wise. Can you imagine if we paid someone in Australia for information on pro-Papua separatism? I think it would raise eyebrows on your side. I think this is something that’s not advisable.”

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/tony-abbotts-asylum-seeker-policies-offensive-says-senior-indonesian-politician-20130919-2u082.html#ixzz2fH9xtzdd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »
Who gives 2 fat flying f***s about what Indonesia thinks of the policy of our government that has just been elected with a mandate (in part) to stop the boats?  It's our f***ing country, our f***ing borders, our f***ing national security and we'll run it our f***ing way, not kowtow to what ever other countries say we should do (and I include the US, Great Britain, France, New Zealand and all the others in that too).  And maybe the Indonesians should wait until they hear from the government itself in formal talks what the actual policy is instead of relying on media reports and speculation.   :wallywink

And here's one for the 'concerned' Indonesians - provide the asylum yourself and stop the drownings at your own border if the notion of us not accepting the illegal immigrants offends you so deeply.   :banghead :banghead

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:02 AM »
Feisty , Smokey, very feisty

:bow :bow :bow

BTW: totally agree  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
No early morning coffee this morning.

:help

All better now.

;D

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »
Who gives 2 fat flying f***s about what Indonesia thinks of the policy of our government that has just been elected with a mandate (in part) to stop the boats?  It's our f***ing country, our f***ing borders, our f***ing national security and we'll run it our f***ing way, not kowtow to what ever other countries say we should do (and I include the US, Great Britain, France, New Zealand and all the others in that too).  And maybe the Indonesians should wait until they hear from the government itself in formal talks what the actual policy is instead of relying on media reports and speculation.   :wallywink

And here's one for the 'concerned' Indonesians - provide the asylum yourself and stop the drownings at your own border if the notion of us not accepting the illegal immigrants offends you so deeply.   :banghead :banghead

Don't think I would want to be your neighbour.

Or is that different and you try to get along with your neighbours?

:cheers