Author Topic: Matthew Richardson and Mick Molloy dreaming of Tigers flag (Herald-Sun)  (Read 746 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond finals: Matthew Richardson and Mick Molloy dreaming of Tigers flag

PETER ROLFE,
sports affairs reporter,
Herald Sun
20 September 2017

RICHMOND footy club’s odd couple have been swept up in the roar emotion of the Tigers’ quest to break a 37 year premiership drought.

Richmond great Matthew Richardson and comedian Mick Molloy are two of the Tigers’ biggest fans and both believe their beloved team can finally go all the way this year.

While trying to keep a lid on expectations, they are dreaming of the nation turning yellow and black on the last Saturday like everyone else from Tigerland.

“I went in 1982 and saw us lose a Grand Final and I vowed I would be back on Grand Final day to win one in my lifetime,’’ Molloy said.

“And given my lifestyle, the clock is ticking so we really need to get cracking and pull this one off.’’

Molloy will be among about 90,000 Tigers tragics hoping to see Richmond win against Greater Western Sydney at the MCG on Saturday to earn a tilt at the flag.

“I’m strangely confident, which is a feeling I haven’t felt for a long time ... and apparently GWS fans have ordered 1200 tickets,’’ he said.

“That’s 90 to one — they’ve got to keep 90,000 Richmond supporters quiet.

“They will need to play bloody well.’’

Richardson, who will appear on Channel Seven’s Front Bar on Thursday, said Tigers fans who had stayed loyal for years deserved joy.

“Finally to get in a position where you are playing in finals and have won a final, they’re excited and they deserve to soak it up and feel good about that,’’ he said.

“You don’t want to get ahead of yourself in this game because it does turn around and bite you sometimes but it’s exciting.

“There is momentum there, the fans are turning up and they are a good chance.’’

He said Richmond could beat the Giants.

“I think if Richmond turn up and play the brand of footy they’ve played this entire season then they’re a very good chance on their home ground to have a win,’’ he said.

“But the Giants are in good nick … if they get their game going they’re a good chance to win as well so it’s going to be a good game of footy.’’

If the Tigers win this week and next, Molloy said there was unlikely to be a drop of beer left in Richmond.

The place will be ground zero for good times, mardi gras, you name it,’’ he said.

“I think Bob Hawke famously said ‘Any boss who sacks his worker for not turning up on Monday is a bum’.

“Well I think that will be fair for anyone within a 10km radius of the ground.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/tiger-tragics-daring-to-dream-of-mcg-glory/news-story/7938fb60516b1802ebd926ca136230db