Author Topic: Herald-Sun phantom draft tips Vickery and Jayden Post to Richmond  (Read 1290 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
This is in a Flash version on the Herald-Sun site so I typed/scanned it to text...

PICK OF THE YOUNG CROP
Herald-Sun SAT 22 NOV 2008, Page 046

The Herald Sun's newest footy expert, the phantom, predicts how the first two rounds will play out at saturday's national draft

1 Melbourne
Jack Watts
The 194cm Brighton Grammar student has been locked in at pick No.1 for a while. The Demons need a player around whom they can build their forwardline - and he is certainly the man. He won the Larke Medal as the best player at this year's under-18 championships after dominating with 15 goals in five games, four more than any other player. Watts proved his athleticism with a time of 2.82sec over 20m at the draft camp and could be the next Nick Riewoldt.

2 West Coast
Nicholas Naitanui
With Mark Seaby falling out of favour, Naitanui is a certainty to end up at West Coast as Dean Cox's understudy. He's a freakish 197cm athlete but can also play football - his ability to win the ball on the ground is amazing for a player of his height. Also remarkably for a ruckman, he ranked in the top three at this year's national titles in both tackles and clearances.

3 Fremantle
Stephen Hill
This is the pick that shapes the top 10. Daniel Rich has long been the player tipped to go here, but the Dockers may opt for West Perth's Hill because he offers something completely different to Rich, a similar type to Rhys Palmer. Hill is another who tested well at the draft camp, but proved through 2008 he could make it as an accountable midfielder/half-back with silky skills and a penetrating kick. His question mark is whether he wins enough of the ball.

4 Port Adelaide
Daniel Rich
Touted as top-three pick from start of the year, so Port will most likely snap him up if he's available. A dynamic midfielder with a booming left-foot kick who has played in senior WAFL premierships in his past two seasons. He was named All-Australian at under-18 level in both 2007 and 2008 and will add much-needed youth to the Power midfield. If Fremantle takes Rich, the Power is likely to end up with Hamish Hartlett or Stephen Hill.

5 Essendon
Michael Hurley
The Bombers need some talls in the backline with the retirement of Mal Michael and the likely retirement of Dustin Fletcher within two years. The 192cm Northern Knights star fits the bill as the most highly-credentialed key defender of recent years. He would also be a perfect fit for the Blues, but the Bombers might get in first. Hurley's strengths are his defensive spoiling, reading of the play, long kicking and versatility.

6 Carlton
Chris Yarran
Just the type the Blues need to beef up their forwardline. Dynamic around the goals and with the evasive ability of Shaun Burgoyne, Yarran booted seven goals in Round 1 of the WAFL and was premier Swan Districts' leading goalkicker. Questions remain as to whether he can play in the midfield, but he'll play AFL in 2009 and may give the Blues another attacking option they desperately need.

7 Brisbane
Jack Ziebell
New Lions coach Michael Voss might take a liking to Ziebell, who is not too different to the type of player Voss was. A tough onballer, versatile enough to play forward or back, Ziebell is a future leader who was named in the under-18 All-Australian team in 2008. Strong overhead for his size (188cm), Ziebell's work at the stoppages and ability to push forward and kick goals make him highly regarded.

8 Richmond
Tyrone Vickery
The Tigers will be hoping Vickery slips through to pick eight and, if he does, there is no doubt they will take him. Another of the highly touted crop of talls, Vickery missed 2007 with a knee reconstruction but has put together some outstanding performances this year for Sandringham Dragons off a limited preparation. He is a 200cm ruckman who has shown that he can go forward and have an impact.

9 North Melbourne
Hamish Hartlett
With a "best available" philosophy at this selection, North Melbourne will find it hard to go past Hartlett. A goalkicking midfielder with great skills, Hartlett is one of the best clearance players in this year's draft and has senior SANFL experience with West Adelaide.

10 Adelaide
Jackson Trengove
A 196cm tall utility who has been out since June with a knee injury. Aggressive and versatile, he can play in the ruck or in a key position at either end of the ground. One of the main reasons Calder won the TAC Cup premiership in 2007.

11. Collingwood
Tom Swift
A 191cm midfielder who has missed most of past two years with knee injuries. The Magpies need natural ball-winners and, in Swift, they will find just that. Has freakish ability to find the ball, highlighted by his 109 disposals in three games at 2006 under-16 national titles which included one game in which he racked up 45.

12. Sydney
Lewis Johnston
The Swans need to start planning for life after Barry Hall and they haven't taken a key forward in the national draft since 1999. Johnston is a powerful, leading forward who took 16 contested marks at this year's national titles - six more than any other player.

13. St Kilda
Sam Blease
The Saints are desperate for pace in the midfield and Blease fits the bill perfectly. He still has a long way to go, but when the ball is in his hands, something special generally happens. He set alight the Telstra Dome with two breathtaking goals in the final of the under-18 titles against WA this year.

14. Western Bulldogs
Ayce Cordy (father-son)
Missed most of 2008 after a shoulder reconstruction. Would likely have been a top-10 pick if available on the open market. Another of the talented talls, the 202cm Cordy will take time to develop, but given his mobility and overall potential, he is the Bulldogs' best young ruck hope since Luke Darcy's career began.

15. Geelong
Steele Sidebottom
Sidebottom was the talk of the town after his 10-goal haul in the TAC Cup grand final but may slide down the order slightly because of the strength of this year's top group. A goalkicking midfielder with elite kicking skills, Sidebottom is also strong overhead for his size and reads the play well.

16. Hawthorn
Phil Davis
The one area in which the Hawks still lack is the backline, so expect them to target some defenders. Davis missed most of 2008 with injury, but is still highly rated with his marking and ability to read the play his strengths. Capable of going forward, but will be a long-term project player.

17. Melbourne
Tom Lynch
Lynch will be the best available forward for the priority pick. At 192cm, he can also push into the midfield. Strong overhead and with good endurance, Lynch played alongside Jack Watts at Sandringham and Vic Metro in 2008 and the two could form a great partnership for the Demons for the next decade.

18. West Coast
Michael Walters
Walters looks the best fit as a small forward for the club's priority pick. A similar player to Cyril Rioli in many ways, Walters has proven capable of pushing into the midfield, yet is also a dangerous proposition around goals. He was one of the best players in Swan Districts' 2008 WAFL colts grand final win.

19. Melbourne
James Strauss
The Demons may look to add some pace and run to their half-backline and Strauss fits the bill. He plays the modern game, highlighted by his ability to play as an outside wingman or running defender - another area in which the Demons are deficient.

20. West Coast
David Zaharakis
Overlooked in last year's draft, but will definitely be snapped up this year after improving significantly this season. Suited to the wide expanses of Subiaco where his ability to run and carry the ball will be fully used. He averaged the most inside-50s of any player in this year's TAC Cup.

21. Fremantle
Hayden Ballantyne
Ballantyne scored 75 goals in the WAFL this year and is a mature-age recruit ready for AFL action. He's small at 175cm, but has great goal sense, can push into the midfield and was rarely beaten this year. Perfect replacement for the retired Jeff Farmer.

22. Port Adelaide
Luke Shuey
The Power will take a ruckman at some stage, but may wait until later and opt for more midfield talent here. Shuey is one of the leading inside midfielders of the draft, averaging four tackles and five clearances per game in the TAC Cup this year for Oakleigh.

23. Essendon
Ashley Smith
Smith was the quickest player over 20m at the draft camp and with the Bombers always on the search for speed, he would be another handy addition. One of the best running half-backs available, Smith's kicking over long distances is among the best in the draft.

24. Fremantle
Shaun McKernan
With the Dockers needing to add more height to their list, McKernan looms as the best bet here. Versatile enough to play in the ruck, up forward or down back, McKernan has one of the best sets of hands in the draft.

25. Brisbane
Dayne Beams
Rejected an invitation to join GC17 in favour of nominating for this year's draft in the hope he could play senior football in 2009. The tough midfielder has been constantly linked to Collingwood, but it seems their first pick is too early and their second pick just too late.

26. Richmond
Jayden Post
Had a strong end to 2008 after playing the year as an over-age player for Western in the TAC Cup. One of the best readers of the play in the draft, Post's ability overhead enabled him to take 161 marks in the TAC Cup, 52 more than any other player.

27. North Melbourne
Mitch Brown
North will be keen to bolster its key forward stocks and, after a strong end to 2008 in the TAC Cup for Sandringham, Brown may be a good fit. He averaged 14 disposals and six marks in his seven games for the Dragons and has grown to a hefty 195cm.

28. Adelaide
Mitch Robinson
The No.1 ball-winner at this year's under-18 championships and can play as both an inside or outside player. Played 11 games for Tasmania in the VFL this year and is ready for AFL action.

29. Collingwood
Jordan Lisle
The Magpies are still in need of key-position players and if they take a midfielder with their first pick, expect them to select a tall with this choice. Lisle can play forward or back and is one of the strongest marks in the draft pool.

30. Sydney
Nick Suban
Suban is a disciplined and hard-working small defender/midfielder who suits the Sydney style. He is a penetrating left-foot kick who can stop one of the opposition's small forwards, yet also find plenty of the ball and push up the ground when needed.

31. Western Bulldogs
Ryan Schoenmakers
The Bulldogs still need talls and Schoenmakers fits the bill. Can play forward or back, but is most likely to end up as a Travis Cloke-type. His kicking ranks as elite and he was a regular goalkicker at SANFL reserves level this year.

32. Western Bulldogs
Liam Jones
Jones missed 2008 after of a knee reconstruction, but clubs have kept a close eye on him. Impressed for Tasmania at last year's under-16 titles and impressed as part of the AIS/AFL Academy before the injury cut his season short. Another project tall.

33. Geelong
Nathan O'Keefe
The Cats are still light on for key forwards and may look at relative unknown O'Keefe with their second pick. In just seven games for Eastern in the TAC Cup this year, he booted 21 goals and proved a good mark on the lead or in a contested situation.

34. Hawthorn
Sam Wright
Wright was a member of Murray's TAC Cup premiership team and booted 32 goals for the season. A leading forward with some X-factor, Wright will add further spark to the Hawks' forwardline.

http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/afldraft2008/afldraft2008.swf

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Herald-Sun phantom draft tips Vickery and Jayden Post to Richmond
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:46:12 PM »
Interesting that Roughhead doesn't rate a mention.

Looking through the players I wouldn't mind any of the top 10 with the exceptions of Hurley and possible Yarran. I didn't realise that Vickery comes with the baggage of a recent knee reco. I still suspect Rich will go at three and Hill will not even rate a mention in the top 10. This will more than likely leave us with a choice of Ziebell, Harltett and Trengrove at 8. Yarran may also be the big slidder.

If Rich and Vickery slipped to 8 which would you choose?

Stripes

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
Rich on basis of best available.  But then would have to get a ruck at 26.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »
A bit of info on and video of Jayden Post

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UIdiTYKBt9c

JAYDEN POST - Western Jets
DOB: 5/12/89 Ht: 196cm Wt: 86kg

"Jayden won our best and fairest and tested really well at the state screening. He ran three seconds for the 20 metres and ran a good beep test. He was by far our best player for the year and I would say that among the taller players in the TAC Cup he was the most consistent. He led the league in contested and uncontested marks, he's got a great work ethic and good pace for a player that size. Good skills both left and right and he's just an all ­round good kid. In our last game of the year in the final he had 35 possessions and took 18 marks -it was by far the best game I've seen anyone play this year in the TAC Cup. He's just an all-round good kid." - Western Jets coach Steve Kretiuk

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=8194.msg119735#msg119735

Tall KP player who has played three seasons at TAC Cup level. Has had varying roles over the period from playing key defence to forward and also in the ruck. If anything I think that the key defensive role suits him best. He reads the ball in flight well and takes a very good contested mark. Pace is ok for a tall and he will back himself to run from half back. His skills are pretty good and he is a reliable right foot kick. The knock on him is his consistency as he has had games where he simply could not have found the fall if it had a bell on it. Can kick goals when used as a forward. His ruck work is ok but he will be too short for rucking duties at AFL level. Played a ripper finals game against the Rays and tested well at state screening so he will have impressed with his finish to the year.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479625

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Interesting that Roughhead doesn't rate a mention.

Looking through the players I wouldn't mind any of the top 10 with the exceptions of Hurley and possible Yarran. I didn't realise that Vickery comes with the baggage of a recent knee reco. I still suspect Rich will go at three and Hill will not even rate a mention in the top 10. This will more than likely leave us with a choice of Ziebell, Harltett and Trengrove at 8. Yarran may also be the big slidder.

If Rich and Vickery slipped to 8 which would you choose?
Same as Chuck. Best available means you take Rich. It would give us one scarily good midfield too in 2-3 years. I still can't see Rich slipping that far. Freo or any side after them are idiots if they bypass him.

Not sure if we would go after Post at 26 unless we think he'll end up mainly as a key forward at AFL level.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »
I wouldnt take Post at 26 as for pick 8 Im still hoping for Hartlett, with Vickery a 2nd option with Trengove & Swift being back up options.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 06:55:26 PM »
I wouldnt take Post at 26 as for pick 8 Im still hoping for Hartlett, with Vickery a 2nd option with Trengove & Swift being back up options.

that's right.  well, this mock has us picking vickery instead of hartlett, which i believe wouldn't happen, we'd take hartlett if he's there

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 08:32:34 PM »
I know its a long way off AFL but watching Vickery play in the TAC cup i swear he looked like a AFL player playing in the burbs.  I dont know much about Hartlett but wouldnt Vickery suit our needs better at the moment. Tall who can play ruck and go fwd V's mid who we have not to many of but enough developing kids that we have a stable core along with i hope Cogs makes a comeback plus the few older players we have.

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
I just wanted to add that the reason I think we should by pass Post is that I think hes a CHB option for us. And we already have enough of these types of players imho. He does exhibit some good dash, hes a good mark ... but unless he can play forward I wouldnt pick him at 26.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »
I just wanted to add that the reason I think we should by pass Post is that I think hes a CHB option for us. And we already have enough of these types of players imho. He does exhibit some good dash, hes a good mark ... but unless he can play forward I wouldnt pick him at 26.
Agree Ramps. Maybe we see him as a replacement for Polak. Someone who can be thrown at either end as needed (?). I'd prefer someone who will develop into a genuine big key forward/CHF with Jack and Cleve taking the 2nd and 3rd defenders. That is more of a need IMHO.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
I am on that bandwagon too, KPP forward or ruck please