Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 419404 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2655 on: February 07, 2023, 10:23:02 AM »
I actually agree with him.
He's not a forward or defender. I wouldn't want him on a wing running both ways all day either.
He's either midfield/negating or he's resting on the bench.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2656 on: February 07, 2023, 06:01:19 PM »
I thank god we don’t have Kane Cornes or forum poster on the coaching staff (including myself). I also think he’ll struggle up forward but back club and player to prove us all wrong (again).
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2657 on: February 07, 2023, 07:01:16 PM »
Richmond champion and triple-premiership captain Trent Cotchin will be inducted as an AFL Life Member at the competition's Season Launch in March.

Cotchin qualified automatically for the top honour by reaching 300 games as either player or coach, including pre-season games and international rules contests.

The Brownlow Medallist has played 287 premiership matches for Richmond as well as 15 pre-season games and the 2020 State of Origin Match.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1267597/cotchin-set-for-afl-life-membership

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2658 on: February 07, 2023, 09:04:36 PM »
Not sure why you'd even contemplate changing his position in what will probably be his final season, especially after how good he was last year. If we were down by 3 points in a GF with a minute to go and there was a centre bounce, I'd still want Cotch right in there
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2659 on: February 07, 2023, 10:15:07 PM »
I actually think that they are just creating a rotational position for Cotch. Rather than just being in the middle or on the bench they have created a third option where he can position himself to ensure we don't use up all our interchanges unnecessarily.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2660 on: February 08, 2023, 12:27:50 AM »
I actually think that they are just creating a rotational position for Cotch. Rather than just being in the middle or on the bench they have created a third option where he can position himself to ensure we don't use up all our interchanges unnecessarily.

Good point mate, makes sense

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
No stranger: Why ‘Trent Coleman’ already fits Tigers’ forward mould (ZH)
« Reply #2661 on: February 08, 2023, 02:56:57 PM »
No stranger: Why ‘Trent Coleman’ already fits Tigers’ forward mould

Trent Cotchin won’t reinvent the wheel as a forward. But he will replace a key cog.

Ed Carmine
zerohanger.com
February 8, 2023

Those in the know claim it is the toughest position to play. A spot on the ground that requires as much effort when holding the ball as without it.

It's the place on the ground where future midfielders cut their teeth. The place where Gary Ablett ascended from golden-haired boy to the close-shaven wizard opponents everywhere came to fear.

It's the line on which Dick Reynolds and Alex Jesaulenko cemented their immortality. It also acts as the section on the coach's whiteboard that Cameron Rayner and Archie Perkins are currently keen to flee.

Neither all the way forward or involved in centre stoppages, the role of a modern half-forward is both here and there. Asked to lock down and facilitate; create and confiscate, these conduits from the coalface often earn plenty of scrutiny and very little thanks.

It's no task for the faint of heart. One that requires a finely-tuned game sense, lion-hearted sacrifice and battle-hardened resilience. One best served by a reliable pillar rather than an overawed teen.

Ahead of his 16th season at Tigerland, Trent Cotchin has seen his magnet moved, with the triple premiership-winning skipper now set to call the forward 50 home instead of the centre square.

While innocuous enough in the wider scope of Richmond's off-season, the 32-year-old's change of scenery has already seen him earn the nickname Trent Coleman from teammates, as well as the chagrin of the game's leading instigator.

“If he's not in the centre bounce, in the phone box where he does his best work – when he's diving on boots, when he's tackling, winning clearance, pushing the ball forward – I don't think, if he's not playing that role, he's in Richmond's best 22,” Kane Cornes proclaimed this week on SEN radio waves.

“He's kicked 16 goals in the last five seasons, Trent Cotchin. I give it two weeks. I give the experiment two weeks."

Though never noted for his ability to sit on fences, Cornes' death knell appears off-base, as there remains a clear role for Cotchin to play in Richmond's attack; a highly-specified, now vacant, job that the Brownlow medallist saw performed with aplomb for over a decade.

For the better part of sixteen seasons, Shane Edwards provided a dependable steel and a lucrative avenue to the Tigers, capping his days at Punt Road after 189 goals from 303 games.

The fifth Tiger to enter Richmond's 300-club, Edwards appears set to be joined in this esteemed class by Cotchin later this year. That is if the former captain can hold his spot for more than a fortnight.

Drafted 12 months apart, Cotchin and Edwards sat side-by-side in the backseat as the club skidded and skirted through the latter years of the Terry Wallace era. Promoted throughout the Hardwick administration, the pair continued their parallel rides, tasting September success thrice over before parting ways after last season's elimination final loss to Brisbane.

While spending much of the 2013-15 period alongside one another in midfield, Edwards transitioned back to his post forward of the ball in 2016; a position he announced himself in during the 2012 season, averaging nigh-on a goal-and-a-half and more than 17 touches each week.

2012 also saw Cotchin reach his career peak, turning in a Brownlow-winning campaign, built off the back of 27.6 disposals and 5.1 clearances throughout his 22 appearances.

Intriguingly, the third season of Hardwick's reign also acted as the skipper-in-waiting's most lethal in terms of scoring, with Cotchin producing 37 scoring shots, 21 of which resulted in goals.

Wind the clock forward - past the silverware and a brief stint off half-back - and Edward's final season in yellow and black now acts as Cotchin's benchmark for what looms as his own swansong as a Tiger.

Though far from Richmond's main line to goal, Edwards produced 15 goals for the year at an average of 0.68 - a minor, but not meaningless, spike from his career mean of 0.62.

However, it was the South Australian's assistance numbers that acted as his calling card, with Edwards producing 19 for the season at an average of 0.86 per game.

Though fractional, this total saw the retiree sit 13th in the league rankings last season and top of the pops at Tigerland. Refocus the lens, and Edwards' average may have ranked him as the 17th most prolific in the competition, but it also saw him slide back to third at clubland.

Richmond's leader in this regard?

Take three guesses who.

Although classified as the Tigers' second-most potent clearance player behind Dion Prestia, Trent Cotchin - or should I say Trent Coleman - led his side for average goal assists last season, with his marker of 0.95 each week seeing him sit 11th in league rankings.

So, while Cornes' grievance with the new-found forward's scoring output may hold weight, the tagger-turned-talkback host's sights are also far too fixed on the end of each chain.

With five goals in 2022, the acid will be on the three-time Jack Dyer medallist to improve when facing the sticks. But with a unit around him that produced 334 goals last year, bags of Jack Titus proportions are hardly necessary.

It's horses for courses, or in this instance, Tigs for gigs.

In the simplest of terms, Richmond's most recent golden era has been built on chaos and pressure; measurable qualities that are still prized at Punt Road. For the most part, Cotchin has been the face of the brand, both on the podium and on the park.

Although the rigours of a half-forward role have made minced meat of many in the past, the clean-cut veteran with the hard nose has what it takes to tackle things. He has, after all, tackled everything else en route.

Well into his second decade of league life, Cotchin still loves "diving on boots", a view bolstered by the decorated leader's 54 tackles and 35 one-percenters from 19 starts last season.

These are the figures that will act as the key to his new role, not his showing on the scoreboard. And while he may require some redirection come the opening bounce of the season, the head down, bum up operator is primed to translate his wares from the "phone box" to the forward 50 given the bar's current height.

Last season, Edwards laid a total of seven tackles inside 50 from his 22 appearances, a marker that saw him ranked as Richmond's equal 11th-best in the area.

Right beside the retired Tiger with a shared average of 0.32 per game?

Take another three guesses.

With six of his own tackles within the forward arc, completed in three fewer appearances and 63 per cent more time spent in midfield, Cotchin has already proven he can get the job done ahead of the ball, a fact that has earned little credence away from Tigerland.

For all their similarities and shared experiences moulding Richmond from milquetoast to menacing, Cotchin and Edwards remain different players and people. Few will deny the former is the finer player. A talent that, despite age, holds the ability to decode what has become a young man's role.

While hamstring and shoulder complaints capped Cotchin's 2022 season at 19 games, the veteran was still able to spend 76.8 per cent of these appearances on the ground - a base that should spike this season and let him swerve the dreaded sub's vest.

But what else can be expected of Cotchin in 2023?

No matter the esteem in which he is held at Punt Road, success is no fait accompli, with his 33rd birthday on the horizon and no deal beyond the end of the year.

Given the lack of time up his sleeve, Cotchin's post will be seen as a transitional one. A short-term move aimed at flying one more flag above the Dyer Stand before the sun sets further down Brunton Avenue.

Without any long-term security, the future Hall of Famer will be required to sharpen his wits and grow eyes in the back of his head, as if the rollout doesn't roll smoothly, the Tigers' offence won't be hamstrung. They have plenty of depth in this area, with the likes of Jason Castagna, Judson Clarke, Noah Cumberland, Maurice Rioli and Tyler Sonsie all vying to buttress Shai Bolton, Tom Lynch, Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt.

Still, for a finely-tuned, lion-hearted and battle-hardened competitor like Cotchin, this is just fuel for the fire; a challenge that will be met head-on before the last rays of his days in boots fade from view.

After poking the bear, or the Tiger Army, earlier this week, Cornes' callboard is sure to have lit up like late December, with Richmond's monolithic membership base all pelting their shrapnel in.

But for a consistent campaigner like Cotchin, one that has always let his actions do the talking, it's tough to imagine that his credits built up over 15 years will expire after one rough fortnight.

It's even tougher to imagine that the change of scenery will rankle him, not when the blueprint for forward success was drawn under his watch.

https://www.zerohanger.com/no-stranger-why-trent-coleman-already-fits-tigers-forward-mould-richmond-afl-shane-edwards-132744/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2662 on: February 09, 2023, 02:49:08 AM »

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2663 on: February 09, 2023, 08:43:15 AM »
I hope the side makes it possible for Trent to kick 25. I would love to throw eggs at this poo stain as he runs those laps.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2664 on: February 09, 2023, 11:59:27 AM »
Isolate him in the forward line when we play a bottom 4 side. Easy 5+ goals per game.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2665 on: February 09, 2023, 01:07:25 PM »
BFD, moron ran from Adelaide  a 6 months ago , I’d be more impressed if he fronted up to the grog squad

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2666 on: February 11, 2023, 02:44:15 AM »
Heading into his 16th and possibly last AFL season, Trent Cotchin has revealed the selfless motivating factor driving Richmond's aging stars. In an exclusive interview with 7NEWS, the veteran Tiger also discussed his surprising on-field switch.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1623953541244268545

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2667 on: February 21, 2023, 02:39:59 PM »
AFL pre-season Burning Questions

Ben Cotton, David Zita and Max Laughton
Fox Sports
February 21st, 2023

RICHMOND

If Trent Cotchin’s not in the midfield, where is he playing?

The additions of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper means Richmond’s midfield will look vastly different in 2023, and alongside Dion Prestia, you sense will take up the majority of the on-ball minutes.

It likely forces Trent Cotchin out of the midfield, with the former skipper training with the forwards during recent match simulation where he’s seemingly set to predominantly play in 2023.

The Tigers will get their first chance to trial the Cotchin forward experiment in the practice hit-outs, and in a season where Damien Hardwick’s side is being touted as a flag fancy, it won’t be mucking around with players in different positions just for fun.

But given Cotchin has made his name as a pure midfield extractor, many wonder whether he’s fit for this new role.

“He’s kicked 16 goals in the last five seasons, Trent Cotchin. I give it two weeks,” Kane Cornes said on SEN earlier this month.

“It’s like Geelong saying last year, ‘oh, we’re going to turn Joel Selwood into a forward’. It just wouldn’t work.

“It’s the toughest position to play, the athleticism required. It’s an unrealistic expectation for a player who’s gonna be 33 by Round 1 this year, with the injury issues that he’s had and the speed and dynamic nature of that role.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-preseason-2023-every-clubs-burning-question-selection-dilemmas-injuries-recruits-ins-and-outs-team-news-latest/news-story/f4ba19cc06109bef641f7a9033021269

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2668 on: February 22, 2023, 08:35:01 AM »
I hope the side makes it possible for Trent to kick 25. I would love to throw eggs at this poo stain as he runs those laps.

Just ignore him. It’s irrelevant.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2669 on: February 22, 2023, 08:36:33 AM »
Be funny if the team was toweling up a bottom 4 side and gave it to Cotch so he could kick 10 haha