Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403393 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »
He only had 14 possies but it sounded like Cotch wasn't our worse by any means today. A good footy lesson to learn from the Swans too.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
He's the only one in the team that when he gets it, you're confident he'll use it correctly.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »
He's the only one in the team that when he gets it, you're confident he'll use it correctly.
Yep and you're confident he knows what to do with it. How many times were some of his teammates in two minds yesterday  :P.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2008, 02:03:03 AM »
Plough loves the Cotch in EOTT....

The young man was playing in a one-sided game against very tough opponents, who never allow you to win an easy ball, yet he finished with the second-most contested possessions in our team and showed really good touch.
The one thing I like about young ‘Cotch’ is he knows how to win his own footy and doesn’t wait for others to do the job for him.

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
A rare positive to come out of the game. Made a few mistakes by hand trying to take them on but at least ran to the right spots and tried to bring others into the game. Surely would be the rising star nomination this week up to half-time. Hopefully our insipidness doesn't cost him the nomination.

Ken Fletcher coached him as a junior. David King just asked him on 3aw if he had any more because we need them lol.   

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2008, 06:56:52 PM »
What a class act this kid is.

Already better than Tambling  ::)

Moi

« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »
His first half was superb.
He is the future :pray  :thumbsup

jackstar

« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2008, 10:28:45 PM »
What a class act this kid is.

Already better than Tambling  ::)

You cant compare the two, he is miles ahead of Tambling already. Richie tries hard, not going to cut it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2008, 04:14:35 AM »
Cotchin rated 'super talent'
Tony Sheahan | June 08, 2008 12:00am

FORMER Adelaide Crows captain Chris McDermott rated Trent Cotchin's first half yesterday as up there among the best two quarters played by a young player.

McDermott, a champion midfielder in his own right, was clearly impressed by Cotchin's skill level in only his fourth appearance for the Tigers.

"That's as good a first half as I've seen from a kid in a long time," he said.

"He gets the ball in good spots, he's got ripper vision and wants the footy which is a great sense for a kid to have.

"He's got a cool head and he's probably a little bit unselfish at the moment.

"He could probably do a little bit more . . . but gee, he is a super talent.

"That's as good an effort as I've seen from a four-game player."

Cotchin has had a limited pre-season due to a severe ankle injury, and did fade out of the game in the second half.

"His engine's probably let him down," McDermott said.

"He couldn't fire a shot in the second half and we know that's a problem because he didn't have a pre-season but, gee when he gets fit.

"There aren't too many weaknesses in his game."

Cotchin was the game's standout player in the first quarter and kicked an early goal as Richmond grabbed the ascendancy.

The Crows were on the ropes with nowhere to hide.

After finding the ball in heavy traffic on the MCC wing, Cotchin weaved and evaded like a 200-gamer.

He was forced on to his left foot to set up the Tigers' fourth goal.

"It was a case of I can do this and no one can catch me," McDermott said.

"I like the fact he's got a little bit of cockiness about him."

Three minutes later Cotchin came off the ground as part of a midfield rotation.

The Richmond faithful stood and applauded the teenager as if there was 14 minutes remaining in the match, not the first quarter.

At such an early point in the game, Melbourne legend Garry Lyon lauded him as,"The best of the current crop of kids."

Cotchin is a very confident kid. He was chosen by the Tigers at No.2 in the 2007 national draft behind Matthew Kruezer, and is a readymade addition to the Tigers' midfield.

Cotchin filled the hole left by his captain Kane Johnson who is sidelined due to injury.

"I just got to the right spots and the boys have faith in me and gave it to me," Cotchin said after the game.

Asked whether he was surprised to be playing a pivotal role in the midfield so soon, Cotchin replied: "Yeah a little bit, I was led to believe I would play a little more forward but, now that I'm in the midfield I'm loving it."

The young Tiger said he was still coming to terms with the lift in tempo from the VFL.

"The pace is a lot different, it's really quick and fitness becomes very important," he said.

"I feel like I'm getting better every game, so I've just got to keep improving."

Cotchin's foray into the big league has been slower than Richmond would have liked but he now feels he is starting to belong.

"I didn't get much of a pre-season so it's been tough on the body," Cotchin said.

"Against every side you have an opponent but you don't really think of their names, otherwise you're in trouble.

"I was overawed in my first game but now I just take it as it comes."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23828690-19742,00.html

Tigermonk

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »
for once the recruiters got it right, this lad has great skills & is confident

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, has Cothin been nominated for the nab rising star yet. If not he should for yesterdays performance. If he plays the rest of the season, what chance is he to win it?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:02:40 AM by one-eyed »

Moi

« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2008, 12:17:19 PM »
Hasn't been nomintated I don't think.
But he has a good chance this week

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
And if he plays for the rest of the season, if yesterday's form is anything to go by he will win it by a country mile.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, has Cothin been nominated for the nab rising star yet. If not he should for yesterdays performance. If he plays the rest of the season, what chance is he to win it?

No hasnt yet,

Will be this week surely.

The media have a love affair with Rhys Palmer so that's the major challenge along with Cyril Rioli.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »

No hasnt yet,

Will be this week surely.

The media have a love affair with Rhys Palmer so that's the major challenge along with Cyril Rioli.

Will probably be the week Cyril Rioli gets selected after a quiet game or Palmer gets the nod as the selectors have got sick of waiting for Freo to win.
Hopefully Cotch if not this week in the next few. A very very bright light in our future.