Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403375 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »
Cotchin finally catches his breath
Whittlesea Leader
18 Nov 08 @ 02:41pm by Laura Jolly

AFL FOOTBALL is a never-ending learning experience, as Wollert’s Trent Cotchin discovered when he launched into his first full pre-season with Richmond Football Club.

Eager to impress and speed up his development, the 19-year-old went above and beyond the training schedule provided by the club.

But the former Northern Knight soon learnt why the coaches are the experts, as he again found himself on the sidelines during pre-season training, this time with a niggling injury caused by over-training.

“I thought I’d go so hard because I missed the pre-season last year and I wanted to catch up to some of the other blokes,” he said.

“But I overdid it and got a niggle so I’m missing the first few weeks of the pre-season.”

On top of the club’s six-day-a-week program consisting of running, cross-training and weights, a determined Cotchin put in extra sessions when possible.

“We were doing three runs a week plus cross-training in between.

“But I would go for a cycle on those days, then hop on the treadmill for an extra 10 or 20 minutes, and that extra workload caused something to flare.”

While Cotchin’s enthusiasm and commitment couldn’t be faulted, he admitted the extra training was not the smartest choice.

“I won’t do it again next year, that’s for sure.”

But it won’t keep the young Tiger down for long, with Cotchin expected to return to full training this week as he aims to continue his already impressive AFL career.

Taken at No.2 in last year’s AFL draft then forced to sit out the entire pre-season with a broken foot, Cotchin debuted against Geelong and didn’t miss a game after that. He was the AFL Rising Star nominee for Round 12, and finished third in the Rising Star Award with 21 votes, behind Hawthorn’s Cyril Rioli (37) and winner Rhys Palmer (44) from Fremantle. With one year of AFL experience under his belt, Cotchin said he felt much better prepared heading into his second season.

“I always knew (playing in the AFL) would be pretty intense.

“Every move you make is watched by the staff and your peers so you’ve just got to give it your best shot all the time.

“It’s just full-on for your body.

‘’You’ve got to get used to it and develop, which is easier for me this time around because I’ve been in the system for a year.”

Despite his niggling injury, he said he also felt better prepared physically. His main focus for the pre-season, he said, was to build strength.

“When I first arrived at the club I was just off crutches and not doing much.

“I’m a lot fitter now.

“I suppose when you first get to the AFL they want you to put on weight. My weight is good now so I’m focusing on strength.

“You have to build strength without putting on size because it affects your running.

“It’s all about core strength.”

http://whittlesea-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/cotchin-finally-catches-his-breath/

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »
#%^@! I thought all that extra training would put him ahead of the pack rather than watchin them from the sidelines again.  :banghead

I just hope it doesn't cause him to lose any of the core fitness he gained from the extra work or stop him from building up his hip, mid and leg strength to break all those tackles next year.

I hope that is the last injury problem we hear about all pre-season.... :-X

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »
As long as it's just a niggle he'll be fine. Better that than him ending up with OP through overtraining. Cotch is someone who is eagar to do more. The club had to hold him back last year as he was coming back from that broken foot.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »
As long as it's just a niggle he'll be fine. Better that than him ending up with OP through overtraining. Cotch is someone who is eagar to do more. The club had to hold him back last year as he was coming back from that broken foot.

What do you suspect the 'niggle' to be - foot again, groin, ????

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #259 on: November 20, 2008, 08:15:21 PM »

What do you suspect the 'niggle' to be - foot again, groin, ????

Stripes
Don't know Stripes. Hopefully it was only tightness or a minor strain in a muscle somewhere. If he's back full training this week it couldn't have been too serious.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #260 on: November 27, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
Some advice for draft hopefuls
By Laura Jolly
Whittlesea Leader
Wed 26 Nov 2008, Page 25

YOU have to think the region's AFL draft prospects would be pretty nervous right now.

But the best thing to do, according to Richmond's Trent Cotchin who was taken by Richmond at pick No. 2 last year, is relax and enjoy the journey.

"It's a hard time, because it's out of your control,'' the 19-year-old said.

"It's all up to the club that selects you.

"At this time last year I was focussing on year 12, but it was always in the back of my mind and I got very nervous.

"I wanted the day to be over so I could move on to being an AFL listed player.

"But it's a great moment so I'd tell (them) just to enjoy it.''

While Cotchin's selection by an AFL club was never in doubt, he said he believed it was a nerve-wracking process for any player, whether highly touted or an outside chance of being drafted.

"For someone like (Northern Knights) Michael Hurley, who is rated highly, he'd be very nervous at the moment.

"He won't know where he's going to end up or whether he'll be staying in Melbourne or going interstate.''

He said his first year in the AFL had been a learning experience.

"I always knew it would be pretty intense.

"Every move you make is watched by the staff and your peers so you've just got to give it your best shot all the time.''

And Cotchin has some advice for newly drafted AFL players.

"Stick to the structure and work as hard as you can to develop.

"It's just full on for your body.

"You have got to get used to it and develop.''

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2009, 02:28:40 AM »
Glad to see Cotch back and hopefully over the achilles injuries for good :). He's still nowhere near match fit and he was rusty in the first half getting run down from behind but that goal that threaded the needle from the point post in the last was all class  :thumbsup.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »
He didn't get a lot a lot of it, but gee, you can see how good he can be.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »
After taking a couple of quiet games to get back into AFL footy, Cotch last night looked more like his gun-self. That classy goal in the 3rd plus two possies in that final play including the final pass to Morton for the winning goal summed up he is back!  :thumbsup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
He certainly looked like the Cotchin of 2008 last night, I was a little concerned with his last two games and we probably did bring him back too soon. I'm sure by Round 22 he'll be better than he was towards the end of 2008. Then hopefully an injury free preseason and look out.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »
he is or will be ur most important player

did u see him singing the song, him and jack were fired up, they are our future leaders

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #266 on: June 07, 2009, 03:29:54 PM »
Cochin working hard to regain place in midfield
Emma Quayle | June 7, 2009

AFTER a month back in the Richmond side, Trent Cotchin plans to regain a full-time place in the midfield by the end of the season.

Cotchin said that while he was starting to feel more match-fit, he was hoping to get more burst back in the next few weeks, after missing the entire pre-season and being sidelined as his side notched just one win ahead of his return in round eight.

"I'm feeling a bit better on the spread, and fitness-wise I'm a lot better," the 19-year-old after the Tigers' 68-point loss to the Western Bulldogs on Friday night. "After games all my tendons get a little bit sore, but that's life.

"I'm still getting used to the speed of the game. I got run down in a few tackles in my first few games and I haven't had the burst, but I feel like I got a bit of that back tonight and a bit more composure, so it's starting to get better.

"I want to be able to play 75 per cent of the game in the midfield by the end of the year, and have influence every minute that I'm in there, rather than coming in and out of the game and getting tired towards the end."

Drafted at No. 2 in 2007, Cotchin said the Richmond rooms had felt a little sad ahead of Terry Wallace's final match on Friday night , and thanked the coach for bringing him to Richmond and giving him his first chance.

"I've known Terry since I was younger, and when I was at the Northern Knights I had a little bit to do with him," he said. "He's helped me along the way and given me a lot of opportunities, so he's been a terrific part of my life and my football career.

"He's shown a lot of support in me and also in the group."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/cochin-working-hard-to-regain-place-in-midfield/2009/06/06/1244234424287.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #267 on: June 07, 2009, 09:18:07 PM »
"I'm feeling a bit better on the spread, and fitness-wise I'm a lot better," the 19-year-old after the Tigers' 68-point loss to the Western Bulldogs on Friday night. "After games all my tendons get a little bit sore, but that's life.
:-\

Ramps

« Reply #268 on: June 07, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »
:-\

There is no reason to play him next week ... everytime he pulls up sore, he shouldnt play the following week. Why are we risking the future playing him in meaningless games.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #269 on: June 07, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
There is no reason to play him next week ... everytime he pulls up sore, he shouldnt play the following week. Why are we risking the future playing him in meaningless games.

Because perhaps it is something he is going to have to put up with for the rest of his career  :-\

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)