Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403385 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #705 on: September 23, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
Camera shy

The Hyundai i30 won by Richmond's Trent Cotchin for being The Age footballer of the year award will be gratefully accepted by the children's bone marrow disorder charity The Captain Courageous Foundation. But in these days of wall-to-wall sponsorship there can be some road blocks, with Cotchin on Friday morning having to sheepishly decline having his photograph taken with said vehicle. The reason? Rival carmaker Jeep sponsors the Tigers and Cotchin is one of the American manufacturer's Australian ambassadors. Still, the Brownlow favourite was happy to to be pictured young with Angus Bond — who has been helped by the foundation — along with his dad Jeff and brother Ted. Mind you, like most footballers, Angus didn't want to be photographed at all.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/pigeon-in-training--well-not-quite-20120922-26ebd.html#ixzz27GKPco00

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #706 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »
First among equals?

Jared Lynch
    The Age
    September 24, 2012

He's one of the favourites, but Trent Cotchin is not confident.

IT HAS been more than 40 years since a Richmond player took home the Brownlow Medal, and joint favourite Trent Cotchin thinks the Tigers will have to wait a bit longer to score football's top individual honour.

''In my opinion, I think I'll be the flop of the Brownlow. I wouldn't be backing me,'' said Cotchin, who has already won the club's best and fairest and several media awards, including The Age Footballer of the Year. ''There are too many players up there who have had consistent years and have obviously been in winning sides as well.

''I know a lot of people say you'd prefer to be playing in the grand final and so forth, which is absolutely true. But I suppose when your team hasn't finished off the year [well] and you've got an opportunity to win such a prestigious award, it's nice to be respected as a realistic chance.

''I think the boys [teammates] have been a bit more excited than I have. Obviously you cop a bit of stick about it, but also it's an opportunity for them to celebrate as a team. I mean, you can't get anywhere without your teammates, and as much as it's an individual award, it's almost a team award as well. You need the help every week and the boys have been fantastic all year. Hopefully it only gets better, not only our midfield group but our whole team improves and gets more mature.''

Others are more bullish about Cotchin's chances of becoming the first Richmond winner since Ian Stewart took home Charlie in 1971 for his third Brownlow Medal. Four-time Richmond premiership coach Tom Hafey likes what he sees in Cotchin, believing the 22-year-old midfielder has what it takes to take the Tigers, who finished 12th this year, to another period of greatness.

''When Ian Stewart won it in 1971, the Tigers finished runners-up the following year and they were premiers for the next two years in a row, so it would be lovely if history would repeat itself,'' Hafey said.

''Everybody is very taken with Trent Cotchin. He's an absolutely courageous man. He works very hard when he doesn't have the ball as well, which I'm very critical of a lot of players. When he chases, he grits his teeth. He's got terrific abilities. I would think he would run pretty well in the Brownlow. I don't think there would too many players who would have taken votes off him.''

Former Tigers premiership player Mike Perry said a Brownlow win was the next step in the club's campaign to return to the top of the ladder, and he likened Cotchin to Stewart, who is batting a rare auto-immune condition.

''It would prove that we've actually got arguably the best player in the league,'' he said. ''I think he's just such a terrific kid, that's the standout about him. He's such a level-headed young bloke. I'm so impressed with the boy that I hope he can get it. I'm a good mate of Stewie's, and I played with Stewie. They are very similar, they just don't get into trouble. They have all the courage in the world. Stewie's a wonderful player … he's arguably the best player I've ever seen.''

The Tigers came close to taking out the Brownlow in 1974, when Kevin Bartlett was favoured to win. But he lost to North Melbourne's Keith Greig, much to the chagrin of those at Punt Road, including then president Ian Wilson.

But they lost the battle to win the war, with the Tigers proceeding to beat the Kangaroos by 41 points in the grand final that year.

''I don't know what to say,'' Wilson said this year when asked about the 1974 Brownlow. ''Keith Greig won it and Kevin was favourite. I wasn't particularly involved in it but there was a bit of a scuffle at the back of the hall.''

Hafey, the coach, added that Bartlett didn't always have the umpires on his side, hence the Brownlow votes.

''A lot of the umpires would have had a thing about Bartlett because he was criticised for the number of free kicks he got by throwing the ball out, which was allowable, incidentally. But I think they all felt he was cheating. A lot of other players did exactly the same and they won Brownlows, incidentally.''

But Bartlett holds no grudges, saying he was beaten by a better player, and his voice speeds up a little with excitement when he talks about Cotchin's prospects.

''If he was to win something as time-honoured as the Brownlow Medal, that would be a great joy to the Richmond supporters and a very nice kudos for the club. They haven't had much to cheer about for over 30 years,'' he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/brownlow-medal/first-among-equals-20120923-26fah.html#ixzz27JapkAbx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #707 on: September 24, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
Rather than this getting lost in the Brownlow thread I'll post this stat here to show how good Cotch was this year ...

I believe Cotch's 26 votes is the most by a Tiger under the one 3-2-1 system since Roy Wright won the Brownlow with 29 in 1954 .... (KB with 45 and St Francis with 36 occurred in years 1976-77 where both umps at that time each gave 3-2-1 votes).

Wright won his first Brownlow with 21 votes in 1952.
Bill Morris won his medal with 24 votes in 1948.
Stewart won his medal with 21 votes in 1971.
Rioli got 23 when he finished 2nd in 1983.
KB's best was 22 votes.
Richo got 22 as well in 2008.
Stan Judkins in 1930 won with 4 votes under a different system.

So Cotch was unlucky in a way. In recent years as the Brownlow has become more a midfielders award you've needed 30 votes or more to win the Brownlow.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #708 on: September 24, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »
it's a joke when    a hack who cant kick wins it .... The Brownlow has become a joke

gerkin greg

« Reply #709 on: September 24, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »
No need to slag off Shane Woewoedin mate

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #710 on: September 24, 2012, 11:42:57 PM »
Watsons kicking has improved in the last 3 years, whats wrong with you

i myself hate arsendon with a passion and wouldve preferred anyone else, but credit where its due the bloke is a gun and a nice guy as well it seems

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Big Papa Bear

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #711 on: September 24, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
Cotchin's best chance to win has passed - expect Delidio, Martin & co to have better years and Tigers to play finals!

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #712 on: September 24, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
Cotchin's best chance to win has passed - expect Delidio, Martin & co to have better years and Tigers to play finals!

Martin will never win one.

hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Ox

« Reply #713 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:02 PM »
It helps to have a famous dad

gerkin greg

« Reply #714 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »

Martin will win a hotdog eating comp though

More value than a brownlow in my eyes

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #715 on: September 24, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »

Martin will win a hotdog eating comp though

More value than a brownlow in my eyes

I won't say what I'm thinking.

Don't want another snip
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #716 on: September 25, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »
Watsons kicking has improved in the last 3 years, whats wrong with you

i myself hate arsendon with a passion and wouldve preferred anyone else, but credit where its due the bloke is a gun and a nice guy as well it seems

He and his old man are both nice blokes and great players. Jobe is lucky he doesn't have many blokes to take votes off him though. Brent Stanton was close to the lead for at half least of the night :lol He'd be the only other Arsedon player to get more than 3 votes I reckon

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #717 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:47 AM »
Some journo always has to be negative  ::)

Richmond's Brownlow Medal curse strikes star Trent Cotchin as he leaves empty-handed

Scott Gullan
    September 24, 2012 11:33PM

HISTORY didn't favour Trent Cotchin.

If he'd done his research coming into last night's count the rising superstar would have known not to get too concerned about a victory speech.

The Tigers and the Brownlow Medal aren't a good mix.

And what's even worse - Richmond players starting favourite.

There has only been one Richmond player in the past 58 years to take home Charlie and even that has an asterix to it because he was a chap by the name of Ian Stewart whose track record in the count was fairly solid (He won two Brownlows at St Kilda before crossing to Punt Rd).

The favourite tag is a horror story for the black and gold army.

Wayne Campbell could only manage nine votes in 1995 while Geoff Raines went horribly, coming up with zero in the 1980 premiership year.

Cotchin, who had won the AFL Coaches' Association Champion Player of the Year award, fared a lot better than those two but a slow start to the season was always going to come back and haunt him, especially with the pace which eventual winner Jobe Watson set.

The 22-year-old only polled in one game - a best-on-ground against Sydney in Round 7 - in the opening eight rounds.

By that time Watson was already on 14 votes.

His last month was outrageous and showed why the money had come from him in truckloads over recent days to put him ahead of Watson and alongside Gary Ablett in the betting.

In his final four games Cotchin polled 11 of a possible 12 votes to claim a share of second with one of the plunge players of the night, Hawthorn's Sam Mitchell.

The Hawks midfielder had been sensationally backed from $17 into $6 over the last 24 hours and like Cotchin, he flew late.

There was a theory behind the cash given Mitchell was the second highest vote getter last year - he polled 30 which was the most in Hawthorn's history - but was ineligible because of suspension.

After polling four votes in the opening two rounds, the former Hawks skipper was only on nine votes after Round 13 before charging with votes in seven of the last 10 games.

When interviewed at the half-way mark of the count, Mitchell had his mind well and truly on Saturday: "I'm probably not going to get to 17 (which Watson is already on). I'm actually pretty relaxed."

The only plunge player yesterday was Sydney midfielder Josh Kennedy whose quote of $15 was halved by the time the count began.

But like Cotchin, he probably might have known that history was against him.

Kennedy had only polled three career votes - in two games - in the Brownlow Medal so it's always a big ask to suddenly find 30.

Three best-on-grounds in the opening five weeks got him shifting in his seat but he then went quiet for 10 weeks before getting busy late to finish in eighth spot with 19 votes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/richmonds-brownlow-medal-curse-strikes-star-trent-cotchin-as-he-leaves-empty-handed/story-e6frf9io-1226480637532

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #718 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:19 AM »
Also-rans with lots of time on their side

Emma Quayle
    The Age
    September 25, 2012

THE year everyone thought Gary Ablett would win the Brownlow, one of his teammates, Jimmy Bartel, did. The year everyone thought Dane Swan was sure to win, he was paraded on stage at the start of the televised count, only to return to his table, sit back, watch Chris Judd win his second medal and feel like a bit of a dill.

Sometimes it takes a while for public perception to line up with media perception and what the umpires see from ground level, and so it proved for the new kids on the Brownlow block last night.

Trent Cotchin feared before the count that he would prove its flop. He wasn't, at all. Three votes against Gold Coast in round 14, a match that left him devastated after the Suns pinched the most unlikely of wins, pushed the 22-year-old onto the leaderboard and into equal sixth spot, on 14 votes, behind eventual winner Jobe Watson's 26.

He kept sneaking up, best-on-grounds in the final two rounds taking him into second spot, four votes short. His minor votes began turning into best on grounds, the 22-year-old making up some major numbers in the last month.
Advertisement

It took him a while to get going, is all. Cotchin didn't earn a mention in the first six rounds, as Watson, Gary Ablett, Josh Kennedy and Scott Thompson got moving.

Unlucky not to poll against Melbourne in round three and West Coast in round five, albeit a loss, his first votes - three - came against the Swans in round seven, a 27-possession, five-goal game. From there, he polled in five of the Tigers' next six matches.

In the end? Cotchin finished second, equal on 26 votes with Sam Mitchell and Dangerfield made it into fifth spot, two votes behind Thompson's 25. Beams wasn't too far back, finishing alongside Kennedy on 19 votes and inside the top 10.

All were expected to poll votes, all polled plenty and all are under 23, which leaves a lot of years left to capture a little bit more attention.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/alsorans-with-lots-of-time-on-their-side-20120924-26ht1.html#ixzz27PTzgYve

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #719 on: September 25, 2012, 03:58:57 AM »
In the end? Cotchin finished second, equal on 26 votes with Sam Mitchell and Dangerfield made it into fifth spot, two votes behind Thompson's 25. Beams wasn't too far back, finishing alongside Kennedy on 19 votes and inside the top 10.

All were expected to poll votes, all polled plenty and all are under 23, which leaves a lot of years left to capture a little bit more attention.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/alsorans-with-lots-of-time-on-their-side-20120924-26ht1.html#ixzz27PTzgYve
Cotch was the best of the young brigade and by far the youngest in the top 6.

Votes     Age
Watson    30          27
Cotchin     26          22
Mitchell     26          29
Thompson 25         29
Swan         25         28
Ablett         24         28
Dangerfield 23        22
Kennedy     19        24
Hayes         19        32
Beams        19        22