Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403458 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #1365 on: April 13, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »
In all fairness I am a massive fan of Cotch. He hasn't been quite the same since that knee injury Vs Freo a couple of years back but to outrightly rubbish this guy is taking it too far. He was instrumental in our 9 game winning streak last year and if he were to go off Miles or Dusty will get absolutely molested by taggers.

I am as frustrated as all of you as  to why he's reverted back to short kicking. I think he's trying to include people in the game again when he should be taking the game on with Dusty by his side. I think what RFC needs the most is a psychologist or at the very least a non drugged up Ben Cousins to remind people that when things are in the balance, back yourself and take the game on.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1366 on: April 13, 2015, 04:18:42 PM »
Needs to work on his disposal. At his best a real champion but is off the boil. The turn over by him in the third quarter was critical and destroyed the momentum as it led to a two goal turnaround.

1980 I Was There

« Reply #1367 on: April 13, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
In all fairness I am a massive fan of Cotch. He hasn't been quite the same since that knee injury Vs Freo a couple of years back but to outrightly rubbish this guy is taking it too far. He was instrumental in our 9 game winning streak last year and if he were to go off Miles or Dusty will get absolutely molested by taggers.

I am as frustrated as all of you as  to why he's reverted back to short kicking. I think he's trying to include people in the game again when he should be taking the game on with Dusty by his side. I think what RFC needs the most is a psychologist or at the very least a non drugged up Ben Cousins to remind people that when things are in the balance, back yourself and take the game on.
Yeah I agree, I too am a big Cotchy fan because he has been awesome to watch, just not so good the last couple of years which is really frustrating, I just want to see him smash the corridor as he can do and stop dickin around with the flamin' footy.

I personally think (because nobody on here agrees) that Cotchin didn't win those games last year, nor was he the most valuable player we had. Rance was the best last year and SAVED most of those games that were considered won by Cotchin. Problem is, the most valuable player, Brownlow etc. is NOT a backmans award, it's midfield/forwards award. How many backmen have won a Brownlow in the last 30 years, yeah your right NONE.

Anyway, I'm not about to trash Cotchy it is unwarranted and not in the slightest needed nor am I going to trash any other player, I JUST WANT TO WIN! :gotigers

Cotchin, Dusty and Jack up and about = Half way to a WIN
Cotchin tuff, tenacious and being a really strong team-leader = WINS 100%

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1368 on: April 13, 2015, 07:52:51 PM »
I. Think it's unfair to trash average players but not good ones that haven't performed for a couple of seasons...
Caracella and Balmey.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1369 on: April 13, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
Too much love for this bloke.
Too many dinky kicks, personally not a leader of men.
But then again we play like a team of girls so perhaps he is the right leader for us.

Yep  :thumbsup

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #1370 on: April 13, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
Trent Cotchin is the brightest ray of hope that has walked through the doors of our club in a long time. The burden placed on him, by the likes of us, is impossible to imagine.

At some stage, with the influx of talent that has flowed into the club since Cotch has arrived, it will be time to review if he is still the most suitable player to be the captain. It will be one of the most difficult decisions in the clubs history if he is relieved of the job before his time. From what I have seen on field I like Vlastuin's style of leadership. He doesn't seem to say that much but you don't have to if your actions can demonstrate your message. I'm a big fan of the decision to give Taylor Walker a go as captain.

I remember an interview with Cotch and maybe his Mrs a couple of years ago. Let's call her 'Yoko'. He (or she) talked about how he has had to change, because he used to be a mad 100% footy nut, and Yoko has now provided some balance to his life and got him interested in a couple of things outside of footy. This was around the time that he announced was only going to play to win 1 flag then see you later. He has hardly been the same player since then.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1371 on: April 13, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
Reckon the Mrs controls the person  ;)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1372 on: April 13, 2015, 08:18:44 PM »
I know it's only highlights... but feel like we haven't seen this cotch for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzt-2KLPXic

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1373 on: April 13, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
I'm lucky that I am even allowed to be on the internet at the moment!

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1374 on: April 13, 2015, 08:25:27 PM »
I think that is a great post Dallas, however I would insert the name Rance in place of Vlas. We have been guilty of anointing young, emerging players before their time. Vlas hasn't earnt the right to be even considered as a leader led alone been spoken of as a captain. He needs to prove himself first as a player.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1375 on: April 13, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »
Vlas lucky to get a game this week

1980 I Was There

« Reply #1376 on: April 13, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »
:thumbsup
I'm the boss and I have my wife's permission to say so :lol

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1377 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:41 PM »
I think that is a great post Dallas, however I would insert the name Rance in place of Vlas. We have been guilty of anointing young, emerging players before their time. Vlas hasn't earnt the right to be even considered as a leader led alone been spoken of as a captain. He needs to prove himself first as a player.

You're right, Rance is the next best option and true about Vlas as well. I am not writing off Cotchin by the way. I still hold hope that he will get back to his best and lead us to a flag, like we all hoped when he first arrived.
I also agree with the comment that he should be a little more selfish inside 50, he is an extremely dangerous forward if we can somehow afford to have him down there.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1378 on: April 18, 2015, 04:34:00 AM »
Richmond captain Trent Cotchin is playing too safe, Mark Robinson writes

Mark Robinson
Herald-Sun
April 18, 2015

I hated the way Trent Cotchin played last weekend.

I hated the way Richmond played.

Against a Western Bulldogs team which flooded back and then kept the Tigers in their back half, the Tigers were boring and without dare.

The Bulldogs played complete football: Hard at the contest, numbers at the contest, spread from the contest and they shared the ball. At times it was exhilarating.

Their defence will be tested by better teams than Richmond, namely Hawthorn on Sunday, but right now it is better than a work in progress. They’re a happening football team.

The same can’t be said of the Tigers.

It is a sample size of two — Carlton in Round 1 and the Western Bulldog in Round 2 — so profound statements are not required.

Still, I hated the way Trent Cotchin played against the Western Bulldogs.

In 2012, Cotchin was equal second in the Brownlow Medal with 26 votes. He was 22 years old and had the football world at his feet.

Cotchin has just turned 25. He’s a damn good player, but he’s become a damn good safe player.

In the three years in between Cotchin’s graph has dipped.

The most damaging midfielders are those who kick goals or have high numbers in score involvements. The numbers hurt him.

In 2012, he averaged 7.7 score involvements, which was ranked No. 2 at the club behind Jack Riewoldt. For midfielders across the competition, he was sixth behind Sam Mitchell, Jobe Watson, Scott Thompson, Dane Swan and Dayne Beams.

In 2014, he averaged 5.2 score involvements, which was equal sixth at the club behind Brett Deledio, Dustin Martin, Riewoldt, Brandon Ellis and Shane Edwards. For midfielders in the competition, he was ranked equal 61st.

This year, he’s averaging 5.5, which has him ranked No. 9 at the club.

Really, Trent Cotchin ranked 61st?

It was frustrating watching the Tigers play against the Dogs, crisscrossing the ball across half-back regularly.

And Cotchin, who had 34 disposals, was central to it.

At one stage in the first quarter, he had three kicks in nine seconds and gained 26m.

Cotchin’s defensive kicking stats against the Bulldogs showed he had 13 kicks at an average of five metres gained.

We grabbed a random game from 2012 — it was Round 22 against Essendon — where Cotchin had 31 disposals.

Against the Bombers, he had eight defensive kicks at an average 32.2m gained.

The point is, Cotchin plays a very different game now compared with 2012.

He plays too safe. He’s less threatening with the ball, less dynamic and dangerous through the midfield/half-forward. Yes, he gets tagged but he’s not Robinson Crusoe.

To be fair, what can’t be assessed by computers is Cotchin’s leadership.

He helped carry the Tigers to nine consecutive wins last year and a position in the finals and that can’t be ignored.

Internally, he is loved for setting standards on and off the field in the Tigers revamp.

But it’s a strange game that he plays.

On one hand you think he’s running defensively and helping his defenders because that’s what leaders do.

On the other, you ask if he’s getting cheap possessions across half-back when he should be more dangerous with the ball.

Coach Damien Hardwick had high hopes when he spoke to colleague Jon Ralph in the pre-season.

“Trent has had his best pre-season from a leadership point of view since 2012 when he finished second in the Brownlow Medal,’’ Hardwick said.

“He has just led from the front, everything he has done he has won, whether it’s handball games or anything, he has dominated and it’s really exciting.’’

That’s what’s needed, less cheap and safe and more excitement and a Cotchin circa 2012.

http://www.news.com.au/national/richmond-captain-trent-cotchin-is-playing-too-safe-mark-robinson-writes/story-e6frfkp9-1227308211453

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1379 on: April 18, 2015, 05:53:41 AM »
100% correct