Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403462 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2505 on: April 19, 2022, 12:35:14 PM »
Stevie May got a fine for a clear and deliberate trip. Low impact dilutes these acts Tex, grab a bex and have a lie down mate….
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2506 on: April 19, 2022, 01:31:46 PM »
Stevie May got a fine for a clear and deliberate trip. Low impact dilutes these acts Tex, grab a bex and have a lie down mate….

Spot on. Wonder whether Tex will call out the thug on their team that broke Ralphsmith's ribs?

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2507 on: April 19, 2022, 02:13:06 PM »
Tex is a moron that would be in the top 3 for dumbest AFL players.  Close call between Stringer, Tex and Jack Darling

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2508 on: April 19, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »
Sounds like old mate Tex has a bit of the old we are poo idiots, and lost the unlosable GF tears going on right now.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2509 on: April 19, 2022, 05:07:51 PM »
I didn't think Tex spoke very much. Based off his 5.5 seconds GF speech in 2017.

Power Ranger R us.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2510 on: April 19, 2022, 09:48:08 PM »
AFL “NOT HAPPY” WITH WALKER’S MRO CRITICISM

By Alex Zaia
SEN
19 April 2022

The AFL is reportedly unhappy with Adelaide forward Taylor Walker’s comments about the Match Review Officer and Richmond’s Trent Cotchin.

Walker suggested on Triple M on Tuesday that Cotchin’s “deliberate” kick at him during the third quarter of Saturday’s match at Adelaide Oval deserved more than a $2000 fine.

“Especially when it’s deliberate,” Walker said in response to a question about whether Cotchin’s stray leg deserved a bigger sanction.

“I tell you what, if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have been missing the next month.”

And now Sportsday co-host Sam McClure is reporting that the AFL is looking into Walker’s comments criticising the MRO.

“It’s my understanding that the AFL are not happy and are looking into those comments,” McClure said.

“He’s essentially questioning the integrity of the Match Review Officer. I think it’ll be stronger than a please explain.

“All I can tell you is that the AFL are not happy about it.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/19/afl-unhappy-with-walkers-mro-criticism/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2511 on: April 19, 2022, 11:39:40 PM »
Would pee myself with giggles if he got suspended

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Since when did kicking an opponent not lead to suspension? (Age)
« Reply #2512 on: April 20, 2022, 07:11:02 AM »
Since when did kicking an opponent not lead to suspension?

Peter Ryan
The Age
April 20, 2022

The wording of the match review panel decision that arrived via email on Sunday needed to be read twice to ensure it had not been misread.

A player had received a fine after the match review officer found he had intentionally kicked an opponent. There was no suspension, no tribunal appearance, merely a fine, reduced with an early plea from $3000 to $2000.

The charge as laid read simply:

Trent Cotchin, Richmond, has been charged with Kicking Taylor Walker, Adelaide Crows, during the third quarter of the Round Five match between the Adelaide Crows and Richmond played at Adelaide Oval on Saturday April 16, 2022.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea. Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, Body Contact.

Now before you line up Cotchin, the intent of this column is not to put the boots into the Tigers’ veteran.

Since 2017 the triple premiership captain has established himself as a Richmond champion, tough, uncompromising and courageous as he led the Tigers to three flags.

He might be able to argue he was balancing himself rather than kicking if he had the chance to defend his action. He is not a dirty player and the decision has been made.

Nor is it relevant who was on the receiving end of his kick although Adelaide’s Taylor Walker was quite justified in making this statement, as he did on Triple M in Adelaide, on Tuesday: “I tell you what, if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have been missing the next month.”

Even allowing for the fact that if the shoe was on the other foot, he would have kicked his opponent with a sock, Walker (and perhaps Toby Greene, Brayden Maynard and Mitch Robinson to name the most obvious candidates) would, if not penalised more harshly than Cotchin, have been under more scrutiny in the court of public opinion if they had lashed out.

The point of this column is simply to ask: since when did kicking become a charge that only receives a fine rather than a suspension?

Since round five, 2022?

At no point has it been acceptable to kick in AFL/VFL history or any other competition throughout the country, and it should remain that way.

In fairness, Cotchin’s kick was not the sort of act that saw Collingwood’s Tony Francis suspended for six weeks in round one, 1990 when he stood over an opponent and kicked them as they lay on the ground.

But it was an act that could incite fury if it occurred in local football, with officials likely to send off the offending player.

I tell you what, if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have been missing the next month.

And it’s not worth even debating the severity of the kick given Cotchin was charged, as described, with intentionally kicking an opponent.

It did not look good. It was not good. And Walker’s reaction showed what he thought of what had happened.

Intentionally kicking a player needs to be a charge, once established, that commands a suspension from hereon. No ifs, buts, or maybes. The length of the suspension is the only variable.

Change the guidelines and kick kicking out of the game.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/since-when-did-kicking-an-opponent-not-lead-to-suspension-20220419-p5aejh.html

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2513 on: April 20, 2022, 08:57:45 AM »
Interesting question and the point of the article is a valid one. There’s no way Toby Greene gets away with doing that.

But Did he actually make contact?

If he did actually kick him then that’s a dog act even if it was against Walker. From memory I’m not sure he made contact though although the attempt to kick was sort of there. Can anyone put one of those short action memes so we can have another look?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2514 on: April 20, 2022, 11:38:40 AM »
Contact but quite minor/negligible.

I think a fine is correct. If they gave him a weak for being an idiot I'd be OK with that too.

Tex's carrying on is pathetic and salty though.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2515 on: April 20, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »
It looked to me he put the foot up to protect himself but did make a movement forward ( kicking action) which is why he  got charged .
If walker was about to jump on me I would put my foot up

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2516 on: April 20, 2022, 04:44:13 PM »
Tom Browne said he interviewed Cotch about what Walker said and it will be shown on 7news tonight.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2517 on: April 20, 2022, 09:04:38 PM »
Sad that this almost  shot 32 year old is having to carry such a load.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2518 on: April 20, 2022, 10:39:40 PM »
Stevie May swing his leg, kicked a Giants player and they fell over. It was a significantly more dangerous act given the motion.
Cotchin stuck his leg out.

If we are going to play the game, as this is a Tiger forum, let’s play it on our terms.

There’s absolutely nothing to see here. If anyone deserves scrutiny, it’s Stevie May
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2519 on: April 20, 2022, 11:38:59 PM »
The way I see it and I’ve always felt this way and everyone who played footy during the 80’s and 90’s when elbows to the back of the head were expected but kicking is a dog act that is just not acceptable on the footy field.
When I watched my son play all through his career also is that if any player kicked someone on a footy field it was a dog act and it would cause an all in from parents too.
It always was and always will be.

If that was Cotchin’s intention then that’s not on. It doesn’t matter if your name is Cotchin or Setanta Ó hAilpín.
I’m not saying it was a deliberate kick because only he would know but if it was then he’ll have to live with that.

From the look of footage more closely personally I don’t think it was a kick but it looked to me he was protecting himself against Tex doing something to him and his foot collected slightly. I don’t think it was an intentional kick.
That’s why the MRO judgment is strange and if Cotchin was serious that it wasn’t a kick he should dispute the fine and take it to the tribunal and clear his name.
The club that keeps giving.