Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403395 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2640 on: September 29, 2022, 11:54:06 PM »
Trent should’ve stayed captain until retirement.

I’m not sure why he felt he needed to give it up because I don’t have any idea why he chose to step aside I’ll blame Mrs Cotchin.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2641 on: September 30, 2022, 03:43:40 AM »
Probably just enjoying his footy with less pressure on his shoulders. He's still leading

But yeah sure, whack his Mrs because why not
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2642 on: September 30, 2022, 07:26:49 AM »
It’s called succession. He’s planned a year to help the transition - unlike Selwood and Pendles. Most likely not being capt has increased his football longevity and we get an extra year out of him.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2643 on: September 30, 2022, 08:40:22 AM »
It’s called succession. He’s planned a year to help the transition - unlike Selwood and Pendles. Most likely not being capt has increased his football longevity and we get an extra year out of him.

👆 this

And perhaps, just maybe he beleived it was the right thing for the Club. Putting the club first
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2644 on: September 30, 2022, 09:40:57 AM »
So his decision had nothing to do with Mrs Cotchin?

I may be wrong but it seems you are all trying to say that Mrs Cotchin doesn’t play ANY role in her husbands life or decision making?

Are any of you married? Do you have wives?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 12:53:46 PM by one-eyed »
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2645 on: November 01, 2022, 04:39:15 PM »
Ash Barty article from the weekend's HeraldSun where she talks about Cotch being like a big brother to her.

MY MATE TRENT THE TIGER​

Ash Barty does not have a big brother, but there are times when Richmond AFL captain Trent Cotchin appears to fill this role in her life.

This much is clear from the pair’s close relationship, which extends not simply through the fact that Barty is a Richmond tragic, but because they both work closely with mindset coach Ben Crowe – a key member of Barty’s inner circle.

The athletes first met a decade ago, when Barty was based in Melbourne. They would run together, watch each other train, and she would go to Cotchin’s house for dinner with his wife Brooke and kids, she reveals in memoir My Dream Time. And the bond remains strong.

“Because he is an exceptional human being he has this sense of knowing when I need a mate, when I need a coffee or a text,” Barty told News Corp. “He has this incredible ability to uplift people and lead people and be funny and joke around and lighten things up.

“He has been so kind to me. It’s pretty amazing. As athletes we can share our journey.”

At key times in her career, Barty has found texts from Cotchin the perfect tonic, especially after her biggest disappointments.

“He tends to send messages that go like this: It was a tennis match. You lost. Get over it. No big deal. I love you, mate,” Barty writes in her book.

One example of Cotchin’s ability to send the right message at the right time came after Barty was shattered by a 2021 Australian Open quarterfinal loss to Karolina Muchova after winning the first set 6-1 a break up in the second set.

“Right now, I feel judged. She’s thrown it away. She’s screwed it up. She’s choked,” she writes. “Cotch knows how easy it is to hear those voices, so he replaces them with the affirmations he’s found in football.

“One of them is ‘You haven’t been buried, you’ve been planted’, but my favourite is his personal mantra: ‘Your greatest growth comes from your darkest times.’

“In this dark time, he sends me a long text, explaining how he was able to watch me play until late in the second set, when I was faltering. So he didn’t see the collapse, but he read about it later.”

“The text read: “Ash, I know nothing will really help, nor change anything, as you have all the answers, and you know it doesn’t change the incredible human you are and the impact you’re having on others.

“I’m proud of your continued growth! I’m grateful to watch and learn from you on how to be a special and authentic human being! Love you, mate! Chat to you soon.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/tennis/ash-barty-book-extract-australian-tennis-great-reveals-how-she-overcame-body-image-struggle/news-story/5919bf0ab793fc9780a06d0138f0e9f3

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2646 on: November 01, 2022, 11:30:33 PM »
Sick part of me hopes that they have a love child just after he retired. A boy would be nice since he and Jack have a few girls already.

Would be great genes.

Or maybe Trent could introduce her to Dusty.

(Yes I know she's taken etc)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2647 on: November 02, 2022, 08:08:04 AM »
Sick part of me hopes that they have a love child just after he retired. A boy would be nice since he and Jack have a few girls already.

Would be great genes.

Trent's 3rd one is a boy. He has 2 girls and a boy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2648 on: November 02, 2022, 11:03:02 AM »

Would be great genes.

Trent's 3rd one is a boy. He has 2 girls and a boy

Yes I know. Want more boys

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2649 on: February 05, 2023, 08:32:25 PM »
Trent Cotchin has played exclusively as a forward in the last three Richmond match simulations.

Expect him to play inside 50 this year with Riewoldt, Lynch, Martin and Bolton

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1622145865560494080

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiger veteran Trent Cotchin is set for a new role in the twilight of his career. The triple-premiership captain is heading into the forward line and it's prompted a new nickname. @cleary_mitch#7AFL #7NEWS

Click on pic/link to watch:

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1622143249560535040

Online FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2650 on: February 06, 2023, 05:11:16 PM »
Not convinced that Cotch will or can play a forward role. He was never that damaging up forward at his peak, is a poor set shot and isn't a pressure forward. Maybe playing a tagging role on an attacking half back...and as a high half forward/extra mid.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2651 on: February 06, 2023, 06:06:05 PM »
However, the move has led to scepticism from some corners: with 16 majors across his last five seasons, Cotchin has never been a renowned goalkicker, which polarising media commentator and former great Kane Cornes was only too quick to point out on Twitter.

Quote from: Kane Cornes
He’s kicked 16 goals in the last 5 seasons…

https://twitter.com/kanecornes/status/1622151848793866240
https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/02/06/trent-coleman-tigers-flag-radical-2023-switch-up-for-triple-premiership-icon-but-kane-cornes-isnt-convinced/

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2652 on: February 06, 2023, 06:40:24 PM »
I think he will rotate through the middle as well as a running half forward( lambert role) , he is not really a goalsneak type like a Cumberland

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2653 on: February 07, 2023, 12:05:49 AM »
Not convinced that Cotch will or can play a forward role. He was never that damaging up forward at his peak, is a poor set shot and isn't a pressure forward. Maybe playing a tagging role on an attacking half back...and as a high half forward/extra mid.

Agree and also isn't a long kick either, would struggle to make 45m and I don't think he could kick 50 unless he had a good breeze behind him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2654 on: February 07, 2023, 01:03:12 AM »

Kane Cornes is unsure about the move and questions whether Cotchin is even in the Tigers’ best 22 if not playing full-time midfield.

“If he’s not in the centre bounce, in the phone box where he does his best work ... when he’s diving on boots, when he’s tackling, winning clearance, pushing the ball forward - I don’t think, if he’s not playing that role, he’s in Richmond’s best 22,” Cornes said on SEN’s Sportsday on Monday night.

“He’s kicked 16 goals in the last five seasons, Trent Cotchin.

“I give it two weeks. I give the experiment two weeks.

“It’s like Geelong saying last year, ‘oh, we’re going to turn Joel Selwood into a forward’. It just wouldn’t work.

“It’s the toughest position to play, the athleticism required. It’s an unrealistic expectation for a player who’s gonna be 33 by Round 1 this year, with the injury issues that he’s had and the speed and dynamic nature of that role.”

Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy had more faith in Cotchin’s ability to adapt.

“It’ll be a multifaceted role. It’ll be a pressure role, I reckon,” Healy said.

“I could see him coming out of the goalsquare as a leading player. He’s been a very talented midfielder and we’ve seen a lot of talented midfielders go forward in the last few years of their career and do very well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-richmond-preseason-news-trent-cotchin-trialled-as-a-forward-tigers-best-22-pushed-out-of-midfield-jacob-hopper-tim-taranto/news-story/1a5477f26bdce4e06c877bf86a41909b