Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403474 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Trent Cotchin - 300th game this week [merged]
« Reply #2805 on: June 12, 2023, 02:41:55 PM »
Just bought my tickets to see this legends 300th. Can’t wait and hopefully the boys get the job done for him!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2806 on: June 12, 2023, 05:31:14 PM »
Having seen Cotchin play it's hard to disagree with anything in the articles about him today. The bit about bringing teammates into play is so true. The kid has footy-smarts and has the slick skills to back those smarts up  :thumbsup. A no-brainer IMO and as HT74 says he actually wants to play for us. What more do we want with our first pick ???.
Still remember that 50m pass in the wet at Princes Park for Vic Metro vs SA. Cotch's teammate was running towards goal at HF with an opponent on his shoulder and Cotch at HB planted the pass perfectly over the shoulder to the advantage side of his teammate to mark. Cotch has been a footy-smart natural footballer from the very beginning. The fact he has gone on to become a triple premiership captain and rack up 300 games has been beyond our wildest dreams. Congrats Cotch - what a legend! :bow  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2807 on: June 13, 2023, 07:33:04 PM »
Cotch is a guest on AFL360 tonight to celebrate his 300th.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2808 on: June 14, 2023, 01:37:54 PM »
Cotch is a guest on AFL360 tonight to celebrate his 300th.
Here's the interview:

WATCH HERE: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1357751/trent-cotchin-joins-afl360

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2809 on: June 14, 2023, 09:30:52 PM »
Hard to pick a fav moment or memory of Cotch. But I'll do my best.

5. Carrying Dan Rioli on his shoulders in 2017 GF lap of honour. What a champion leader. If this was Hodge or Boss it'd be wanked about for decades.

4. 2019 Mumford tackle. Set the tone. Get in the bin Mummy.

3. 2017 qualifying final spinning goal. Tears in my eyes from Butler's goal. This is arguably the most underrated goal I've ever seen. If this was Cyril it'd be still spoken about. Unreal. Finals draught broken.

2. The Dylan Shiel bump and attack on footy 2019 prelim. Standing ovation anytime he came off. Such a special game lead from front. Tigers are into a Grand Final.

1. The Daisy Pearce story. It just exemplified this era. Selfless and team first, being yourself, a good person before footy player, humble and all in.

Link here and story below:
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/21/pearce-witnesses-act-of-kindness-from-richmond-skipper/
Go Tigers!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2810 on: June 15, 2023, 12:30:40 AM »
The tackle on Stanley in the 2019 Prelim has to be #1.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2811 on: June 15, 2023, 01:21:49 PM »
Cotch talking about playing home games at the 'G in front of the Tiger Army:

WATCH HERE:https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1669156772307963904

-----------------------------------------------

Let’s pack out the @MCG for our milestone man

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1669156210984235008

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2812 on: June 15, 2023, 02:54:10 PM »
Cotch's presser today:

'I'm humbled to be joining an amazing group' - Cotchin

WATCH HERE: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1358325/-i-m-humbled-to-be-joining-an-amazing-group-cotchin

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2813 on: June 15, 2023, 02:58:39 PM »
I remember the Kreuzer cup back then haha.

Gee Cotch has left him for dead long ago in every aspect.

I remember one of his first games, shrugging off a Marc Murphy tackle, making him look like such a weak goose. I knew then we had a superstar in the making.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2815 on: June 15, 2023, 03:33:40 PM »
 :bow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2816 on: June 15, 2023, 04:35:26 PM »
'Smelling the roses': No retirement thoughts for Tigers' 300-game hero

Richmond triple-premiership captain Trent Cotchin says he still possesses the "inner willingness to compete" as he prepares for his 300th AFL game

By AAP
15 June 2023

RICHMOND milestone man Trent Cotchin isn't ready to call time on his illustrious AFL career, insisting he still has a burning desire to compete at the top level.

The 33-year-old, who initially thought last season would be his swansong, will play his 300th game when the Tigers take on St Kilda on Saturday night.

In doing so, Cotchin will join Kevin Bartlett, Jack Riewoldt, Jack Dyer, Shane Edwards and Francis Bourke as the only Richmond players to reach the mark.

"I'm not putting a ceiling on anything," Cotchin told reporters on Thursday.

"Jack (Riewoldt) and I have had plenty of conversations this year where it's just about smelling the roses and enjoying each moment.

"We've shared moments where we just look at each other and we know that's a time to take in and celebrate and be present.

"You can get caught up in all the hoo-haa around what's next but I'm really just trying to celebrate what is right now."

Triple-premiership stars Cotchin and Riewoldt signed one-year contracts for 2023, while their flag-winning teammate Edwards called time at the end of last season.

When announcing his new deal last September, Cotchin said "the plan probably was not initially to go again".

The former captain and 2012 Brownlow medallist has contemplated life after football, eager to put his wife and young family first, while declaring coaching is not one of his strengths.

Cotchin admitted it will be hard to let go when he does eventually call time but said a moment during Thursday's training session - when he fought over a loose ball with 20-year-old teammate Tyler Sonsie - proved he still has the desire for the contest.

"What makes successful players successful is their inner willingness to compete ... when you lose that you know that it's time to let the next person have their time," Cotchin said.

Cotchin said he had mixed emotions reaching the milestone without triple-premiership coach Damien Hardwick, who led the Tigers for more than 13 seasons before stepping away from the game last month.

"To go through so much of my journey with such a special person at the helm of our footy club and him not being here (now) is bittersweet," Cotchin said.

"But just being in contact with him earlier in the week, I realised it was the right time for him and I'm sure we'll share a moment at some stage over the next few days.

"He's had a huge impact not just on my life but my family's life, and all of our players' lives at the footy club."

Cotchin spent time in attack earlier this season but said he has relished his return to the midfield over the last two weeks under caretaker coach Andrew McQualter.

The Tigers (5-1-7) posted wins over GWS and Fremantle in that time and can give their finals hopes another boost with victory over fifth-placed St Kilda.

Cotchin was captain of Richmond's 2017, 2019 and 2020 premiership teams, having made his debut in 2008.

He is credited as being one of several key pillars who turned around the previously struggling club's fortunes - along with chief executive Brendon Gale, former president Peggy O'Neal and Hardwick - at the end of 2016.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/950459/-smelling-the-roses-no-retirement-thoughts-for-tigers-300-game-hero

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2817 on: June 15, 2023, 07:34:52 PM »
A real champion. Congratulations to him. A great leader. Very loyal.  His leadership was a major reason for our premiership  success.  His goal against Geelong in 2017 was incredible.  The way he spoke about Pickett today is a testament to his leadership skills.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2818 on: June 15, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »
Trent Cotchin says he isn't ready to call time on his career just yet. The veteran is on the verge of Tiger history as he prepares to toast a magical milestone. @cleary_mitch #7NEWS

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1669266027119607810

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2819 on: June 16, 2023, 06:14:46 AM »
Would be good if they put an extended highlights video on the Richmond Website to celebrate his great career.