Author Topic: Trent Cotchin [merged]  (Read 403463 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin comes clean on suffering hidden ‘panic attack’ before 2017 finals (7afl)
« Reply #2880 on: September 06, 2023, 08:06:57 PM »
Trent Cotchin comes clean on suffering hidden ‘panic attack’ before 2017 AFL finals series

The former Tigers skipper has given an ‘amazing admission’ on a pre-finals moment that no one knew about.

Harrison Reid
Seven
6 September 2023

Three-time Richmond premiership captain Trent Cotchin was as stoic and inspirational a leader as we have seen in recent AFL memory.

But even the 306-game Tigers legend can was capable of a humanising moment of panic during his decorated career.

By the time he hung the boots up, Cotchin had led Richmond into seven finals series, four preliminary finals and three premierships.

But on the eve of his fourth finals series in 2017, dark thoughts started to creep into Cotchin’s mind, he told Channel 7’s Talking Finals.

“Playing (Geelong) in the 2017 qualifying final, it’s probably relative to what some of the captains would be feeling this week,” Cotchin explained on the show’s Tuesday night debut.

“I’d had three finals series previously, unsuccessful, I hadn’t really performed individually … and coming out of the meeting, I had this panic attack; a little bit of anxiety, started to stress that I had never beaten Geelong in my whole career over ten years, what if that doesn’t go quite right, what if I don’t touch the footy?

“I started telling myself all these stories. So, I called my life coach, Ben Crowe and sat down and settled the nerves.

“I think it’s one of those things that you never want to show anyone or tell anyone, but it’s amazing what the psyche of finals and footy can do to any individual.”

The combative midfielder would go on to lead his side to a crushing 51-point victory over the Cats in the qualifying final before suffocating the GWS Giants in front one of the most one-sided preliminary final crowds in AFL history, and eventually upsetting minor premiers Adelaide in a historic grand final.

“That is an amazing admission from you because you have all of these young players who will be playing in this last month of football that don’t have the experience like you, but nerves and anxiety can attack anyone at anytime, can’t they?” Tim Watson responded.

Cotchin added: “They certainly can. I had been tagged in two of those (previous finals series) and I felt like that is what was creating the pressure. I knew I wouldn’t be tagged on the Friday against the Cats because there was a lot of other players you would tag before me.

“But you can tag a player, but not a captain, and I knew there was lots of things that I could control that would impact the game that wasn’t necessarily kicks, marks and handballs.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/trent-cotchin-comes-clean-on-suffering-hidden-panic-attack-before-2017-afl-finals-series-c-11814943

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Trent Cotchin [merged]
« Reply #2881 on: September 13, 2023, 08:36:00 PM »
Trent Cotchin, who retired after his farewell match in round 23, has stepped away from Richmond after 16 years at Punt Road.

The 33-year-old has found a new role in professional sport with National Basketball League club South East Melbourne Phoenix, which has announced Cotchin as its new No.1 ticket holder.

Cotchin will also engage with the basketball outfit's high-performance team as a leadership consultant.

"It's definitely something that I'm really passionate about and the club is really excited about," Cotchin said.

Source: AFL website.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2882 on: September 13, 2023, 09:39:16 PM »
Watching program with him and Joel Selwood, both champion blokes.

Both inspirational captains anyone would go to the wire for.

For me Joel looks and speaks better, but Cotchin has something extra special,

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2883 on: October 21, 2023, 06:31:46 PM »
Don't miss @tcotchin9's 'From the Heart' book signing session at the Roar Store on Saturday, November 4 ✍️

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1715504750722953223

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2884 on: October 21, 2023, 06:32:27 PM »
How Trent Cotchin’s selfless act could have changed Tiger history

Trent Cotchin on the quirks of footy, his relationship with Dusty and how the Covid hub nearly broke him and his family.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/family-footy-and-the-scariest-moment-of-his-life-trent-cotchin-tells-all/news-story/8545955fc7b5547c616ec9062f2cf47e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2885 on: October 21, 2023, 06:33:48 PM »
AFL great Trent Cotchin’s heartbreaking wife confession

HeraldSun
October 21, 2023 - 3:13PM

Richmond premiership captain Trent Cotchin has revealed heartbreaking details about wife Brooke’s suicide fears.

The popular lifestyle influencer recently opened up on the moment she thought about taking her own life in the aftermath of her highly-publicised COVID-19 breach in 2020.

The 33-year-old footballer has now described the traumatic episode as the “scariest moment of his life”.

Cotchin, a three-time premiership captain, Brownlow Medallist, and three-time Jack Dyer Medal winner, is sharing new private details about his life off the field in a new autobiography, From The Heart.

His revelations include his fears that Brooke may not have returned from a drive during the family’s 2020 rollercoaster.

Brooke Cotchin travelled to the Sunshine State at the time with her three children to support her husband as Covid-19 restrictions forced players and their families into a quarantined bubble in Queensland to ensure the season could go ahead.

However, she triggered a huge fine for the Tigers when she was busted breaking the AFL’s strict biosecurity protocols after posting a photo to Instagram of her visit to a day spa on the Gold Coast.

The visit was in breach of the isolation hub that players and clubs agreed to as part of the deal with the Queensland Government that saw Victorian clubs relocate up north.

Brooke was viciously slammed for the code breach, with many critics suggesting it was reflective of a sense of entitlement among well-paid footy stars and their partners.

It took a heartbreaking toll on her personally.

“I kept saying to Trent, the only reason — it sounds extreme — but the only reason I didn’t kill myself was because of my kids,’’ Brooke told the Curious Conversations podcast in 2021.

“That’s my thing with the media and I don’t think they realise how damaging they can be.

“I suppose you get painted as this person that you’re not and you’ve got no control so you just have to deal with it.”

Her husband now says there was one particular moment when he feared she may have never come back to him — or the couple’s three children, Harper, Mackenzie and Parker.

“2020 was my most challenging period as a husband and a partner,” he told The Saturday Herald Sun.

“Brooke was torn, she didn’t want me to leave the (Richmond) boys, but she also knew that our family wellbeing was the absolute priority.

“(When she went out driving) she wouldn’t answer, I didn’t know where she was. I couldn’t track her down. I honestly wasn’t sure if she was coming back to us.

“It was the scariest moment of my life. I genuinely thought she might try to harm herself.

“I have never been more relieved in my life when Brooke finally came back.”

Brooke said in 2021 she didn’t get out of bed for days while battling her mental health at the time and struggled to accept support from family who couldn’t be there with her.

Despite the private issues, Cotchin led the Tigers to a famous premiership that year, beating Geelong in the grand final in Brisbane.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-great-trent-cotchins-heartbreaking-wife-confession/news-story/5aa8d005247c3407175c488d9b0e632c

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2886 on: October 21, 2023, 07:29:34 PM »
No comment

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2887 on: October 21, 2023, 10:36:22 PM »
That is a comment buddy

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2888 on: October 22, 2023, 12:57:54 AM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2889 on: October 22, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2890 on: October 22, 2023, 02:59:14 PM »
Yep. Atrocious comment, very poor form.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin reveals the moment he knew something was up with Hardwick (HeraldSun)
« Reply #2891 on: October 22, 2023, 03:29:20 PM »
Back to the topic ppl.

From The Heart: Trent Cotchin reveals the moment he knew something was up with Damien Hardwick

In the wake of Richmond’s loss to Essendon this year, Trent Cotchin witnessed a Damien Hardwick tirade like never before. A day later, he quit. The premiership skipper tells his story.

Trent Cotchin
HeraldSun
October 22, 2023

We looked ahead to the Dreamtime game (this year) with Essendon with confidence – it was always one of the best weeks of the year, listening to the stories of our brothers. But while the lead-in to the game was good, the outcome was more of a nightmare than anything else.

When Dusty (Martin) kicked the first goal of the last quarter, we led by 18 points, and that should have been the end of it. But we allowed Essendon to control the ball through uncontested marks and we didn’t defend well. Sam Durham kicked the match-winning goal at the 28-minute mark, putting them one point ahead.

We had blown it.

That led to one of the most unusual post-matches we had ever seen from Dimma. His response was different to any other game I played in.

He was filthy and cutting with his comments to the group and about the opposition. In an angry meeting in the rooms after the game, he referred to us as “putrid” and said the way some of us had played meant he would just get “another c--- to replace us”.

He pointed to the Essendon team that was displayed on the white board and said, “To be honest with you, I reckon this team is a bunch of spuds, and you aren’t even as good as they are.”

His spray had much more to do with us than his assessment of the Bombers. Upon reflection I’m not even sure he knew what he had said.

He was quite rattled. I was thinking, “Well, this is different”.

Given he’d already spoken to me about his personal challenges, the way he addressed our group made me think something serious was going on.

I couldn’t have predicted what happened next but was I totally surprised by it? No, I wasn’t.

He sent me a text message early on Monday morning but I didn’t notice it at first. I was going to Parker’s sport. The text message said: “Hey mate, do you have time to catch up today?” I eventually got back to him, saying: “Do you mean on the phone or in person?” He told me he would prefer to do it in person. I sensed straight away that it was about him. Not me!

He must have wondered if I was reading his message the wrong way, as he quickly sent another text saying: “It’s about me.”

He had spoken to Jack Riewoldt on the phone earlier. Jack was on the golf course and he thought the coach was finishing him up as a player. But this was about Dimma, not about us. Dimma asked me to grab Dusty on my way to his house but I couldn’t get hold of him. In the car, I sensed what was coming.

It was only a brief chat as Dimma had a lot of people to get to before the news would break that he was quitting the club immediately.

I got to his place at 12.54pm; I left at 1.08pm. In between, we sat on the couch and talked about why he felt it was the right time for him to go.

The one thing I will always remember was how much pressure seemed to have been released by him making that decision to leave. I can vividly remember how blue his eyes looked. He looked like he had more life back in his face.

He had only told the club the night before that he was leaving, yet you could already see a huge burden had been lifted.

What had happened in Dimma’s life across the previous three years was significant enough for anyone. Add to that the pressure that naturally comes with being a senior AFL coach and it’s no wonder he’d had enough.

For me, the main thing was that I hoped he would find his true happiness.

Our relationship had been challenged but Dimma will be a friend for life. I hope he knows that if he ever needs a coffee or a chat, I will be there for him at the drop of a hat.

After leaving Dimma that day, I checked in with Toby Nankervis, Dyl Grimes, Jack (Riewoldt) and a few others. I was actually told not to tell anyone.

Both Hop (Jacob Hopper) and T-Bone (Tim Taranto) had chosen Richmond as their destination partly because they wanted to play under Dimma. Now he was gone in their first year.

I caught up with both of the boys the next morning for a coffee before we went into the club,

just to make sure they were doing OK.

It was a shock for the players and the footy world. I was incredibly proud of how collaborative and strong the Richmond Football Club was at the time.

The conversations we had as a club and as a team were mature and open. There were all sorts of opinions about who we thought was the right interim candidate to take the club forward, at least until the end of a season that was effectively still alive.

They were a bit like the discussions that I was a part of in late 2009, even though the circumstances were very different.

This time the coach had chosen to leave; back then the coach had been sacked. 2009 felt like a lifetime ago. We’d all come such a long way.

------------

This is an edited extract from From The Heart by Trent Cotchin (HarperCollins Publishers, $49.99)

Pre-order your copy of the book here and go into the running to win a prize pack containing a Richmond hoodie, cap and scarf with a signed book.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/from-the-heart-trent-cotchin-reveals-the-moment-he-knew-something-was-up-with-damien-hardwick/news-story/8c343a554eb3a6cfdf36d433de8e1332

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2892 on: October 22, 2023, 09:17:26 PM »
The loss to Essendon was definitely embarrassing and losing to a rubbish Bombers team was an indictment on us, but Dimma's reaction pretty much showed he was cooked. A mixture of realising and resenting that 2023 was becoming a write-off finals wise, the team wasn't good enough anymore to challenge, and as coach he wasn't able to get the best out of them anymore. That abusive rant blaming the players alone was very old school. Something out of the 70s/80s that doesn't work anymore.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2893 on: October 22, 2023, 10:18:46 PM »
A very senior player remarked recently that Dimma had said things “that you can’t walk back” with the players.
That about sums it for me.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2894 on: October 23, 2023, 12:20:34 PM »
A very senior player remarked recently that Dimma had said things “that you can’t walk back” with the players.
That about sums it for me.
Can’t walk back or can’t take back??