Author Topic: Why this post-game vision of Pickett & Bolton angered Kane Cornes (Nine)  (Read 1521 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why this post-game vision angered AFL great

By Chris De Silva
Nine
21 June 2020

Kane Cornes was unimpressed by this vision which showed Pickett laughing with teammate Shai Bolton (Seven)

Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes has slammed Richmond's Marlion Pickett for vision which showed him laughing in the changerooms after the loss against Hawthorn.

Like many of his teammates, Pickett was well below his best against the Hawks, but it was his actions after the match that left Cornes worried for the culture at the club.

After starring on debut in last year's AFL Grand Final, Pickett has endured a torrid run of three games to start the 2020 season, averaging just 10.3 disposals per game.

"To see after the game, what could you possibly be laughing about when you haven't touched the ball for three weeks?" Cornes told the AFL Sunday Footy Show.

"Yes, you had a good Grand Final, but it's not a good look and the coaches are filthy with that. Mark Williams didn't let us shake hands if we lost a game.

"To see that, how much is it meaning to the Tigers fans who have been up the top for so long, to see the effort on the field and then to see them mucking around in the changerooms is just a small warning sign.

"How much is it meaning to the Tigers when they've been up the top for so long? If you want to be remembered as a Brisbane, Geelong or Hawthorn, they've got to win another one.

"That's not taking anything away from the great side they've been the last three years, but on-field and off-field, small warning signs that the hunger isn't there."

Cornes went a step further, suggesting that it "wouldn't be harsh" for Richmond coach Damien Hardwick to drop Pickett after his poor run of form this season.

"I think a three-week stretch of poor form is about the form line where you're prepared to look at bringing someone else in and maintaining selection integrity," he said.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his place in the side this week."

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd accepted that different players have different ways of dealing with losing, but said he wouldn't have reacted like Pickett after a poor performance.

"I know if I played a shocker and had four or five touches, there's no way I'd be laughing about anything," he said.

"Everyone is different, everyone deals with getting over a poor performance in a different way.

"It's not a hanging offence in my eyes, but I wouldn't have done it. I'm just gutted for a day or two days, but that's half my problem too because I couldn't get on with things."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/kane-cornes-slams-marlion-pickett-for-laughing-after-richmond-loss-to-hawthorn/888beae0-4ced-4de8-97cf-1ab47b3f7016

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Sensitive topic but this article has undertones of racism.

If it was Justin Westoff and Travis Boak do u reckon he would have said anything?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
I'd say he definitely would have, yes...especially if it was two Port players and especially if one of them was Boak... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Very selective by Cornes

In that straight after the game there is vision of a couple of blokes smiling and laughing
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Cornes couldn't find anything else Richmond to build his clicks so he takes a 15 second grab to try and make a point.

It is like they should all go straight down to the beach and do sand sprints then some hill climbs.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
That other goose in Gossage said the same.
Hymie would agree with anything, he's such a fence sitter.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

If it was Justin Westoff and Travis Boak do u reckon he would have said anything?

It’s clearly blatant racism  ::)
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yep, it’s all around us Dio...
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

i think you are taking the pee. You are yeah?

:banghead :banghead
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!

i think you are taking the pee. You are yeah?

:banghead :banghead

Hope so

If not

Australia is stuffed