Author Topic: Troy Chaplin [merged]  (Read 158863 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Troy Chaplin [merged]
« Reply #585 on: March 30, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
Would have thought the Gardener would have went to Hampson since he was bending Griff over. Wasn't that why he was recruited? Or was that just some BS from supporters with no idea? ;D
Want more out of Chaps offensively than what he dished up last night. Did well on Garlett though even if Jeffy is a pathetic player

he is a great match up for mobile forwards as he reads the play really well. He is a very good kick and makes good decisions.. He is one of the leading backman in the comp.

Were you aiming that at me Coach ,,  i would say Garlett qualifies as a mobile forward. Wouldnt you?   :whistle

Not aimed at you at all. It was aimed at those who said the signing of Chaplin is the end of big forwards dominating us. Only took 1 game and a spud in Hampson has already destroyed one of our players.

No worries, but i wouldnt write him off just yet.. It was a high pressure and high intensity game which only the fittest survived.  Chappy was clearly not the fittest. but did handle the pressure.

i thought Griff broke even.  Even i know Hampson is a poo kick, so letting him mark the ball on the 50 in the pocket was good work. He was never going to kick goals from there and he didnt.

I thought Griff got smashed to be honest.  With Ellis, they were our 2 worst players.

Didnt play his best game but Hampson only kicked 1 goal and that was a gimme from the square, his other shots were from spots where it was smart to let him have a shot.  Really low % chance of him kicking it..  Just my opinion

Hampson kicked the games first goal from 50. Boys on the line misjudged it. :thumbsup
First 15 mins we were woeful.
Other than Griff who struggled one on one, Rance was fantastic, Batchelor was very good and Chaplin first up given his limited pre season was serviceable.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #586 on: March 30, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »

I thought Griff got smashed to be honest.  With Ellis, they were our 2 worst players.

Didnt play his best game but Hampson only kicked 1 goal and that was a gimme from the square, his other shots were from spots where it was smart to let him have a shot.  Really low % chance of him kicking it..  Just my opinion

Hampson took 8 or 9 marks and led Griff to the ball easily.  For his role on the night I thought that he was beaten badly.  I don't rate Hampson and I thought Griff should have been able to match up on him much better than he did.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #587 on: March 30, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »
Hampton kicked 1 goal 2 from 13 touches.
Not sure how that qualifies as dominating or destroying our back line.
He did well and no we don't have the next Darren Glass but the descriptors you are using belong in Bold and the Beautiful  ;D

He also missed 3 that didn't even register a score. He also dropped a poo ton of marks he probably should have taken. Which is why I have said in other threads we're lucky we weren't up against forwards who can kick. Griffiths was destroyed. No defender in the world would look at that game and say "yep, I've done alright on Hampson tonight". Hampson bent him over and drove him home TBH. Which is scary because the big fella is a bit of spud  ;D

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #588 on: March 30, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
I'm not saying he had a great game, Hampson had one out of the box and his damage was minimal so all is good.  Griff stays

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #589 on: March 30, 2013, 11:25:10 PM »
The only reason the damage by hampson was minimal is because he spudded up big time. If you look beyond the actual scoreboard hampson bent grithiffs over, he just wasnt good enough to capatilise where it counted. Thats good luck, not good play.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #590 on: March 31, 2013, 08:07:33 AM »
The only reason the damage by hampson was minimal is because he spudded up big time. If you look beyond the actual scoreboard hampson bent grithiffs over, he just wasnt good enough to capatilise where it counted. Thats good luck, not good play.

That was pretty much my point to the coach Al, Hampson did not destroy Richmond - he could've but as many of you have posted, he is simply not good enough to get the job done.
It doesn't mean Griff had a good game, he had a poor one but a poor game by Griff doesn't automatically mean Hampson smashed us or Griff cause he's a dud too!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #591 on: March 31, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Griff would be better crashing a pack for a mark up forward not timidly trying to spoil...late..in the back line.  He looked terrified of giving away frees to me.  And too slow to react.  Thing is, he might not be a hundred percent either, he used to move pretty well for a big unit, didn't look like he was that mobile at all in that game.
Lots of people name their swords......

Gigantor

« Reply #592 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »
Owl i agree with you re Griff crashing packs ,but i'm scared he might break ;D

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #593 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »

"bent him over" geez is this the 2013 catch cry? 

Yes i agree with you Griff didnt have the best match but i'm not fussed because he wasnt the only one.  Our backline worked well for the majority of the match.  im just throwing it out there that maybe it was a tactic to let Hampson get the ball on the 50 and not inside 50.  He fluked 1 goal that should never have got through.  Hampson is a poor kick. It was nt like he had 15 marks and completely dominated. He lead well and held onto his marks, which he normally doesnt.

As the wise Owl states Griff is very mobile and didnt move as well as he normally does.  Wish i knew why but i'm not sacking him over 1 game.. Same as Chaplin. 

We won!!!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #594 on: March 31, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #595 on: March 31, 2013, 11:06:50 AM »

We won!!!

Just
It's still 4 points. A win is a win, whether its 1 point or 100. Fact!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #596 on: March 31, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »

"bent him over" geez is this the 2013 catch cry? 

Yes i agree with you Griff didnt have the best match but i'm not fussed because he wasnt the only one.  Our backline worked well for the majority of the match.  im just throwing it out there that maybe it was a tactic to let Hampson get the ball on the 50 and not inside 50.  He fluked 1 goal that should never have got through.  Hampson is a poor kick. It was nt like he had 15 marks and completely dominated. He lead well and held onto his marks, which he normally doesnt.

As the wise Owl states Griff is very mobile and didnt move as well as he normally does.  Wish i knew why but i'm not sacking him over 1 game.. Same as Chaplin. 

We won!!!

Thats just silly. The tactic should be to spoil and not let him have a shot. If Dimma or Leppa or whoever is telling Griff his job is done just by making him lead to the pocket then we need a new coach. Griff didn't look slow while running. Just looked to show no respect and slow reaction. He got reamed, no two ways about it.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #597 on: April 01, 2013, 08:57:40 AM »
21 year old KPD who whilst being beaten kept trying all day and had some important possessions in a frenetic last quarter. He is our best option for covering tall forwards. Give him a break.

I will say though that he is at his best when disregarding his opponent and flying for the ball on it's own merit. Something he will do more and more as he gains in confidence.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #598 on: April 01, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »
21 year old KPD who whilst being beaten kept trying all day and had some important possessions in a frenetic last quarter. He is our best option for covering tall forwards. Give him a break.

I will say though that he is at his best when disregarding his opponent and flying for the ball on it's own merit. Something he will do more and more as he gains in confidence.

Yep plenty more development to go into young Benny Giffen

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #599 on: April 01, 2013, 10:03:45 AM »
Griffith had a kick that wasn't from a kickout?