Author Topic: Troy Chaplin [merged]  (Read 158833 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Troy Chaplin [merged]
« Reply #975 on: July 05, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »

I know people are critical, he'll I've been critical too but having had it explained what his role actually is when he stands all alone at HB, when everyone else is pressing forward, I reckon he has been good, he plays the role well. Simply he plays the role he directed to play it may not look great to people but of its what the team wants him to do who are we to complain?

Had an interesting conversation with my nephew after the Lion's NEAFL game up here yesterday and I asked him about this specifically because it seemed he was playing very much the type of role we see Chaplin play.  He said that (depending on opposition of course) when he's back in the 2's they mostly have him guarding space more than an opponent.  The fullback has a more traditional role on his direct opponent but Liam's role is to firstly deny the space for an attack to move through but then to peel off and take the tallest option coming down if he considers them a threat or get over and help the fullback if not.  I reckon that is almost exactly Chaplin's role in the team on most days.  Whether he succeeds or not is another point entirely but I guess like most things in defence, it relies on getting good support from your midfield.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #976 on: July 05, 2015, 07:22:40 PM »
I'm not critical of his role. I think he actually does a good job directing traffic back there.

This doesn't excuse his effort in critical contests though. In fact, his role as a leader only highlights how poor his efforts can be. Incidents like the aforementioned one where he let Steele turn inside and deliver to Cameron are all too regular. If he's aware that his inability to move laterally prevents him from attacking the hips in this situation at the very least he needs to corral his opponent to the outside and their non preferred foot. Thought this was a very poor example to set.

Offline Bateman

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #977 on: July 05, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
Chaplin was pretty emotional after the game. Obviously, he knew Phil Walsh from his time at Port.

Is that Michael Gayle?

truth be known, it's actually Ben Nason.  :clapping

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #978 on: July 05, 2015, 08:33:36 PM »
Chaplin was pretty emotional after the game. Obviously, he knew Phil Walsh from his time at Port.

Is that Michael Gayle?

truth be known, it's actually Ben Nason.  :clapping

:clapping
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

tony_montana

« Reply #979 on: July 05, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
I'm not critical of his role. I think he actually does a good job directing traffic back there.

This doesn't excuse his effort in critical contests though. In fact, his role as a leader only highlights how poor his efforts can be. Incidents like the aforementioned one where he let Steele turn inside and deliver to Cameron are all too regular. If he's aware that his inability to move laterally prevents him from attacking the hips in this situation at the very least he needs to corral his opponent to the outside and their non preferred foot. Thought this was a very poor example to set.

yep, Rance gave him a spray for that and rightly so.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #980 on: July 05, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »
Excellent at pointing however
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #981 on: July 05, 2015, 09:43:21 PM »
Any replacement has to have 80 odd games under his belt.  There's little point in putting in a 0 gamer.  Astbury or some existing player has to step up or we trade for a redy made.  I cant see it happening myself.  He's here to stay.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #982 on: July 05, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
Any replacement has to have 80 odd games under his belt.  There's little point in putting in a 0 gamer.  Astbury or some existing player has to step up or we trade for a redy made.  I cant see it happening myself.  He's here to stay.

Bloody big ask for grimes, vlastuin, rance etc. to carry troy  to a flag   :-\

Even if Astbury or Elton puts his hand up will he a go? Doubt it

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #983 on: July 10, 2015, 11:51:25 PM »
Someone dig a hole for him to fall into, needs an injury otherwise he aint going anywhere. Seriously i would like someone on the selection committee to justify how he is in the side compared to the likes of Donuts and Lennon or even Dea for that matter. Cannot see how any one of these could contribute any less than Newman is currently.

Op was talking about
Christopher

But I think a few tweaks and it suits troy too

:banghead

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #984 on: July 11, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
Channel 7 commentary:

Astbury can't get a game is the Richmond back line cause they got dance AND SOME GUY U FORGOT WHO HE IS

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #985 on: July 11, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »
Why is he demanding the ball off players? Should be avoiding disposing the ball as much as possible. Did it in the backline from Ellis when both were 50m in the clear and just handballed it straight back. Stat padding dud.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #986 on: July 11, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »

Troy Chaplin is calling astbury..

Yeah he's OK

Lol

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #987 on: July 11, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
Gee, I thought he had been going really well over the past few weeks... hard sale for some.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #988 on: July 12, 2015, 12:29:15 AM »
He's been playing fine. Just becoming a whipping boy next to Rance.

Backline is doing a great job. Wouldn't change anything except maybe Morris small defender instead of Hunt.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #989 on: July 12, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
Richmonds very own Nick Maxwell
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018