Author Topic: Trade/FA rumours  (Read 181999 times)

tony_montana

Re: Trade/FA rumours
« Reply #1440 on: October 18, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
I really sympathise with Brisbane here. Make a statement, force the kid into the preseason draft. Its harsh but you cant have your first round picks just deciding where they want to go after 2 seasons. The current system favours players far to heavily in my opinion. Clubs need some more balance.

Agree

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1441 on: October 18, 2015, 11:27:12 AM »
I really sympathise with Brisbane here. Make a statement, force the kid into the preseason draft. Its harsh but you cant have your first round picks just deciding where they want to go after 2 seasons. The current system favours players far to heavily in my opinion. Clubs need some more balance.

Agree
So you guys would be happy let Lennon or C Ellis walk to the pre season draft and get nothing them if they he decided they didn't didn't want to play for the Tigers anymore, just to make a statement?? As much as that would be a statement, the only real loser in that is us. If someone decides his future is somewhere else we need to broker the best deal for us.
I think the biggest statement a club can make is creating an environment that players want to stay. Every club is going to lose some players over the time especially now with FA but all clubs will get players back the other way. You just have to try and make the RFC a great place to be and that starts with winning games, winning finals and winning grand finals. Paying them well just isn't going to be enough as players want success.
Brisbane should and will IMO trade Aish and get the best deal they can for him whether that is to Collingwood or any other club. As for my thoughts on him, I haven't seen anything from him yet that makes me want us to chase him. 
It seems people would be happy to give our pick 12 for Aish but not for Yarran who has shown he can be an A grade player and has runs on the board. Forget 2015, Yarran and Mick didn't see eye to eye and by the time Johnny Barker was on board, Yarran's head was out the door. Like it or not that's how some guys are. He is a genuine talent and I'm pumped he will be in a Tigers jumper in 2016. Hopefully as a small forward as IMO the is by far our biggest need.
I'd still be offering our pick 12 for Cockatoo from Geelong as they have surplus midfielders and could probably do with an early pick now they have traded all theirs for the next couple of years.

tony_montana

« Reply #1442 on: October 18, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »

Agree
So you guys would be happy let Lennon or C Ellis walk to the pre season draft and get nothing them if they he decided they didn't didn't want to play for the Tigers anymore, just to make a statement?? As much as that would be a statement, the only real loser in that is us. If someone decides his future is somewhere else we need to broker the best deal for us.
I think the biggest statement a club can make is creating an environment that players want to stay. Every club is going to lose some players over the time especially now with FA but all clubs will get players back the other way. You just have to try and make the RFC a great place to be and that starts with winning games, winning finals and winning grand finals. Paying them well just isn't going to be enough as players want success.
Brisbane should and will IMO trade Aish and get the best deal they can for him whether that is to Collingwood or any other club. As for my thoughts on him, I haven't seen anything from him yet that makes me want us to chase him. 
It seems people would be happy to give our pick 12 for Aish but not for Yarran who has shown he can be an A grade player and has runs on the board. Forget 2015, Yarran and Mick didn't see eye to eye and by the time Johnny Barker was on board, Yarran's head was out the door. Like it or not that's how some guys are. He is a genuine talent and I'm pumped he will be in a Tigers jumper in 2016. Hopefully as a small forward as IMO the is by far our biggest need.
I'd still be offering our pick 12 for Cockatoo from Geelong as they have surplus midfielders and could probably do with an early pick now they have traded all theirs for the next couple of years.

You miss the point, if it happened to us it would be a once off (or rare) situation as it is with most clubs, so of course you would broker a deal.... the Brisbane situation is diabolical where an extraordinary number of their top end talent are walking and getting to their club of choice for next to nothing. 2nd rounder for Aish is a joke, I agree with lethal and Dougy on this one, they need to make a statement to let the rest of their young guys know, WE WILL NOT BE HELD TO RANSOM any longer.

And No way I think Yarran is worth pick 12 but I'd give it up for Aish

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1443 on: October 18, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »

Agree
I think there were a number of us who would have seen Lennon walk into the PSD and we got nothing if it let people know that you can't just start asking for half a mill of the back of a few reasonable games. I think the reality was nothing like that at all, but the Brisbane situation as Tony said is a disaster. Is that 3 or 4 of their FRDP's that have wanted to leave.

Like I said before, the current system is weighted far too heavily in favour of players at the moment. You can't just decide where you want to play until you've put in at least 7 years of solid performance, or a trade can be facilitated early. For Aish to get traded for a second round pick is so disgustingly unfair and innappropriate and I really feel for Brisbane here. Even when they were at the height of their power, players were still asking to leave. Make a statement, don't let him force their hand. If he wants to play hard ball, go into the PSD and have fun playing for Carlscum, otherwise, man up, put your head down and get on with it!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1444 on: October 18, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »

Agree

You miss the point, if it happened to us it would be a once off (or rare) situation as it is with most clubs, so of course you would broker a deal.... the Brisbane situation is diabolical where an extraordinary number of their top end talent are walking and getting to their club of choice for next to nothing. 2nd rounder for Aish is a joke, I agree with lethal and Dougy on this one, they need to make a statement to let the rest of their young guys know, WE WILL NOT BE HELD TO RANSOM any longer.

At the end of the day Tone Brisbane don't have to take a second round pick off Collingwood. They can trade him to anyone and get a first round pick.
Brisbane got 2 very good player this time last year so they can't be to  hypocritical and it locks like they will get a couple more this year.
 They need to make the place a good club to be at first and foremost but players are always going to want to go home to their home state or simply want to go where they want.
No point cutting off their nose despite their face. And if they do where does it stop? This year, next year? Do they keep giving away players just to make a point? The club will be no longer in a really short time.
They need to turn a negative into a positive.

tony_montana

« Reply #1445 on: October 18, 2015, 12:32:51 PM »

Agree

At the end of the day Tone Brisbane don't have to take a second round pick off Collingwood. They can trade him to anyone and get a first round pick.
Brisbane got 2 very good player this time last year so they can't be to  hypocritical and it locks like they will get a couple more this year.
 They need to make the place a good club to be at first and foremost but players are always going to want to go home to their home state or simply want to go where they want.
No point cutting off their nose despite their face. And if they do where does it stop? This year, next year? Do they keep giving away players just to make a point? The club will be no longer in a really short time.

That's the problem, they can't trade him to anyone if the player says I only want to go to one club.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1446 on: October 18, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »

Agree

That's the problem, they can't trade him to anyone if the player says I only want to go to one club.
Well if Aish's options are go into the pre season draft and end up at Carlton or agree to another club that is willing to give a first pick, or stay at Brisbane, I'm sure he would think about it long and hard.
You also didn't answer my question, if Brisbane stand firm this year, what happens if they are in the same situation next year and the year after?? It's ok to try and prove a point but if it in tern hurts the club long term then it's a stupid point to make. I'm sure if you ask Brisbane's sponsors and supporters they would most definitely say the same.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1447 on: October 18, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »
allowing a player to walk to PSD wont correct the cause of the problems the Lions face. Player welfare is at the nub of it , and ironically this knee jerk reaction will only further underline just how detached the club is from its players. all that said, they will trade, I don't believe they're that stupid not too
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

tony_montana

« Reply #1448 on: October 18, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »

Agree

Well if Aish's options are go into the pre season draft and end up at Carlton or agree to another club that is willing to give a first pick, or stay at Brisbane, I'm sure he would think about it long and hard.
You also didn't answer my question, if Brisbane stand firm this year, what happens if they are in the same situation next year and the year after?? It's ok to try and prove a point but if it in tern hurts the club long term then it's a stupid point to make. I'm sure if you ask Brisbane's sponsors and supporters they would most definitely say the same.

I answered your question. My point is if they make a stand and force Aish into the psd bc he refuses to go anywhere else bar the pies for a second rounder, then maybe just maybe next year and the year after their first round draft picks will think twice before trying to hold them to ransom like they have been the past 2 years. That's the whole point of making a stand now - it's gotten out of hand

tony_montana

« Reply #1449 on: October 18, 2015, 02:16:45 PM »
allowing a player to walk to PSD wont correct the cause of the problems the Lions face. Player welfare is at the nub of it , and ironically this knee jerk reaction will only further underline just how detached the club is from its players. all that said, they will trade, I don't believe they're that stupid not too

They have been accomodating with Polec, Billy Longer, Yeo, Docherty getting way unders for all of them, where has that gotten them?  All it's done is show the rest that if you want out to a particular club, then it's pretty easy to get there.

Now they are faced with getting a 2nd rounder in the weakest draft in years for a top 5 pick? better off getting nothing anyway and sending a msg to the rest of the playing list, that they won't just bend over anymore.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1450 on: October 18, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
The issue with Aish is if he is so homesick as we've been told all year and he wants to leave Brisbane then why does he now want to be traded to Collingwood ::) rather than Adelaide or Port in his home state. The Crows would now have as good if not better picks to offer Brisbane after the Dangerfield trade.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:44:37 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1451 on: October 18, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
This issue with Aish is if he is so homesick as we've been told all year and he wants to leave Brisbane then why does he now want to be traded to Collingwood ::) rather than Adelaide or Port in home state. The Crows would now have as good if not better picks to offer Brisbane after the Dangerfield trade.
Great point MT!   :clapping
There's something fishy about his 'home sickness' suddenly getting much better ...  :huh
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Gigantor

« Reply #1452 on: October 18, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
I think what they're home sick for is more folding stuff

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1453 on: October 18, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
Tail wags dog.
Trolljangles thinks this is good of course, he thinks everything is good just like a labrador.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1454 on: October 18, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »
Snip here -------------------------
Thought I would mark it out for ya's
Lots of people name their swords......