Author Topic: 18 teams means finals every year for the RFC  (Read 473 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
18 teams means finals every year for the RFC
« on: September 02, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Demetriou has said a top 8 may not be a satisfactory number for finals once the new teams come in. The AFL may extend the season to 24 rounds (no NAB cup) with a top 9 or 10.

We'll make the finals every year   :lol
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 18 teams means finals every year for the RFC
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:28:26 AM »
Money grab, pure and simple.  No team will ever be capable of winning or having a serious tilt at a flag from 9th or 10th.  Although I do agree with dropping the NAB cup and having a longer season.  Here's an idea that I had a few years ago when it became obvious to me that not all teams are playing on a level playing field due to the uneven draw:

The season goes for 30 rounds, no NAB cup and no mid-season breaks, so that every team plays each other twice.  Every player however, is only allowed to play a maximum or 24 games in the season (excluding finals).  How the club manages it's list would be one of the skills in getting the team through the season - you would rest players that were less suited against certain teams or were carrying niggling injuries etc - but no-one can play more than 24 games regardless.  Pretty simple but would ensure that you got a much more realistic or honest 'best 8 teams' playing in each final series.

Just an idea.