Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903849 times)

the claw

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3585 on: June 15, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »
I think he got it right as well, however under the rules 'A player will be penalised for rushing a behind, unless under pressure from opposition'.

Under the rule it looks like Dusty was within his right to rush a behind. However the rule was brought in to stop acts like this but was then changed because the AFL was spooked after a few weeks of ordinary umpiring and confusion and then allowed rushed behinds if there was pressure. Too many grey areas.

Have the deliberate rushed behind rule the exact same as the deliberate out of bounds rule. I can't see how that would effect the game negatively or change it from what the original rule was meant to achieve.
the rule was bought in for what joelene bowden did.  a totally different scenario. funny how rules grow wings.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3586 on: June 15, 2014, 05:17:05 PM »
I think he got it right as well, however under the rules 'A player will be penalised for rushing a behind, unless under pressure from opposition'.

Under the rule it looks like Dusty was within his right to rush a behind. However the rule was brought in to stop acts like this but was then changed because the AFL was spooked after a few weeks of ordinary umpiring and confusion and then allowed rushed behinds if there was pressure. Too many grey areas.

Have the deliberate rushed behind rule the exact same as the deliberate out of bounds rule. I can't see how that would effect the game negatively or change it from what the original rule was meant to achieve.
the rule was bought in for what joelene bowden did.  a totally different scenario. funny how rules grow wings.

It was actually brought in after what Brent Guerra and Hawthorn did in the 2008 GF. :thumbsup
Joelene was a sub plot to the rule. ;D

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3587 on: June 17, 2014, 03:54:43 AM »
i wonder if you will ever construct a logical, rational argument that displays just an inkling of football knowledge as why you think that the half back line has little importance in football.

.....or any other football discussion for that matter.

With or without the word stuffing?

Why don't you just go and stuff yourself baiter, that's is all you do on this forum. You never ever contribute, you just sledge and bait people. stuff off...there you go!!!

Just the two that always bite

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3588 on: June 17, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
I agree he should've turned and kicked it to the boundary. I had a closer look at the footage and he only had 1m or so between 2 freo players so from a technicality he can argue that he was under pressure and nothing in the law says anything about conditions apply aka how far you are away from opposition goal.

It's weird though because he is running in a straight line more or less and it looks like he deliberately roved a ball just to handball it. I do agree in the 'spirit of the game' you would want to outlaw crap like that because it makes for crap football. But more so I think umpires should officiate the rules and if teams find loopholes than they should leave it to committees to decide on rule changes and not play judge/jury/executioner.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3589 on: June 20, 2014, 04:01:49 AM »
Don’t argue with Dustin Martin’s star status in SuperCoach

Herald-Sun
June 20, 2014

IN THE end, Dustin Martin came crawling back to Richmond.

In an inglorious end to last season, Martin’s management did the tour of rival clubs on a fishing trip to either find a new home or drive up the price of his last contract.

Not surprisingly, when the Giants and Bombers turned their noses up at him, Martin eventually re-signed at Richmond on about roughly the same terms the club had offered all season.

The whole episode was bizarre.

But as Martin prepares for his 99th game and 43rd in a row, now we wonder; did the Tigers get Dusty cheap?

If the Tigers’ best-and-fairest was held now, it would be 1. Dusty 2. Cotch 3. Daylight. In SuperCoach rankings terms it’s Martin (38th overall), Cotchin (44th) and up-and-coming defender Brandon Ellis (66th).

The man who boasts the best “don’t argue” in the business has hit his straps over the past five rounds in particular, averaging 114 SuperCoach points per game since his price bottomed out at $448,500 in Round 7.

Yes, it was a slow start for the No.3 draft pick, as coach Damien Hardwick toyed with the concept of playing the midfielder-forward in the back half.

But last time he played Sydney, one of only two current top-eight sides the Tigers meet over the next 10 rounds, he punched out a sparkling 126 points.

As bad as Richmond has been this year, the draw starts to open up for them from next round onwards. They play bottom-placed St Kilda twice and the Giants and Lions at the MCG.

Martin, 23, is the eighth-most popular player in SuperCoach, but 60 per cent of teams have ignored him to this point.

Maybe this is your chance.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dont-argue-with-dustin-martins-star-status-in-supercoach/story-fndv8t7m-1226960495911

Offline sdc01

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3590 on: June 20, 2014, 04:11:24 AM »
dustin....the only a grader at the club...

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3591 on: June 20, 2014, 10:36:45 AM »

Herald-Sun
June 20, 2014

and up-and-coming defender Brandon Ellis (66th).

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dont-argue-with-dustin-martins-star-status-in-supercoach/story-fndv8t7m-1226960495911

he plays defence? Am I missing something?

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3592 on: June 20, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
Hardwick's decision to play in defence this year was very poor. Clear favourite for best and fairest at end of year.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3593 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
Oh good our draw opens up, we don't have to play hard teams like the bulldogs, melbourne, gold coast and essendon hopefully.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3594 on: June 20, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »

Herald-Sun
June 20, 2014

and up-and-coming defender Brandon Ellis (66th).

he plays defence? Am I missing something?

Well thy certainly can't mean he has the mentality of ability of a defender so it HMF

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3595 on: June 20, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »
Was fantastic tonight. He should win the B+F this year by lightyears.

tony_montana

« Reply #3596 on: June 20, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »

should have won it last year too

Offline Martin

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #3597 on: June 20, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »

should have won it last year too

Agree. For some reason internally they're harsh on this guy. Jackson was good last year but Dusty was a victim of high expectations whereas Jackson got the benefit of exceeding expectations. If they're fair dinkum this year he's be a mile in front. And to think we nearly lost him.

Offline flea03

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3598 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:40 PM »
should have left, wasted talent at rfc

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3599 on: June 22, 2014, 09:30:25 PM »
Is the photo of Dusty at Tramp that is getting around today old or new?
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...