Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 428129 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #1125 on: March 29, 2014, 07:00:04 AM »
apparently had a run with role on Murphy who is one of the games hardest runners.
Cramped up badly due to lack of conditioning.  Dimma thought he had done an ok job till then. maybe dimma needs to look a bit harder.
Never see Heppell doing these roles.  He usually plays a loose man "Grigg" type role.
murphy was bog ok job hey.

on heppell all i can say is take the blinkers off. he actually wins a fair bit more contested ball than conca does. in fact hes what you would call well rounded. the simple fact he has the ability to create space and buy time and has a bit of awareness makes him look out side.
in conca to date all ive seen is a average player  at best.

heppell doesnt get run with roles those roles because hes an actual play maker. what a poor excuse. usually its the average types who get the run with roles anyway.
as far as performance and output goes heppell is currently the length of the flemington straight in front. as far as attributes for the game goes heppell also wins hands down atm.

why is it  so hard just to be honest with ourselves,  why are we so churlish when it comes to opposition players. theres nothing to be ahamed about that heppell is the better player atm  and thus far thru his career. we should at least be objective and honest enough to admit it.
I haven't got blinkers, I just feel that Conca has upside but hasn't yet reached the heights he can. This is due to injury. He came to Richmond with bone spurs in his feet and now has finally got over them only to have a serious hamstring injury. Heppell has has an injury free run. I never said Heppell wasn't a good player. I just see him as a much better version of Grigg.
I agree that so far Heppell is ahead by a fair way but if Conca remains uninjured (a very big if) he has the game that would make him surpass Heppell.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1126 on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:21 AM »
Reece started really well against the Blues I thought but fell right away as the tagging job took it's toll.
His interrupted pre season hasn't help one bit. Seems to be struggling to run out games.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1127 on: March 29, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »
apparently had a run with role on Murphy who is one of the games hardest runners.
Cramped up badly due to lack of conditioning.  Dimma thought he had done an ok job till then. maybe dimma needs to look a bit harder.
Never see Heppell doing these roles.  He usually plays a loose man "Grigg" type role.
murphy was bog ok job hey.

on heppell all i can say is take the blinkers off. he actually wins a fair bit more contested ball than conca does. in fact hes what you would call well rounded. the simple fact he has the ability to create space and buy time and has a bit of awareness makes him look out side.
in conca to date all ive seen is a average player  at best.

heppell doesnt get run with roles those roles because hes an actual play maker. what a poor excuse. usually its the average types who get the run with roles anyway.
as far as performance and output goes heppell is currently the length of the flemington straight in front. as far as attributes for the game goes heppell also wins hands down atm.

why is it  so hard just to be honest with ourselves,  why are we so churlish when it comes to opposition players. theres nothing to be ahamed about that heppell is the better player atm  and thus far thru his career. we should at least be objective and honest enough to admit it.
I haven't got blinkers, I just feel that Conca has upside but hasn't yet reached the heights he can. This is due to injury. He came to Richmond with bone spurs in his feet and now has finally got over them only to have a serious hamstring injury. Heppell has has an injury free run. I never said Heppell wasn't a good player. I just see him as a much better version of Grigg.
I agree that so far Heppell is ahead by a fair way but if Conca remains uninjured (a very big if) he has the game that would make him surpass Heppell.
I have to agree with Claw. Reece is miles behind Heppell and IMO will be for ever. Not sure what 'game' you think Reece potentially has but I hope you are right, but in reality it's a massive stretch. Reece at best will be a solid soldier, he is not afraid of body contact and enjoys the tough stuff but in terms of skill and footy smarts he will be average at best. Dare I say a 'c' grader. His kicking is below standard but the thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is his lack of composure. Kids come into AFL with special qualities, and the way you can see a potential 'a' grader is by their composure and the way they seem to be doing it pretty easy when it comes to being able to get the footy but more importantly get rid of the footy without that panic look all over them.. Heppell has done it since day one and is well on his way to being an 'a' grader. Comparing him to Grigg in any way is just being way off the mark! I hate Essendon more than the average punter but blind Freedy can see Heppell is a star in the making.
We all hope Reece can get better and using excuses of injury doesn't take away the facts that he has struggled at AFL level since his first game. He has played 1 or 2 really good games, 10 or so good games and the rest probably below average for a top 5 pick.
We got it wrong that draft day IMO but only time will tell how wrong.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1128 on: March 29, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »
I just think he is underdone. He was playing some exciting football last year before he was injured. He has a lot of potential. He will run all day and has excellent footskills. We are seeing the best of Heppell right now but he will not win you the game when the ball needs to be won. He doesn't have the single minded determination that Conca has and I say the jury is still out as too who will be the better player for their club.

Remember that Conca is still a long down in the midfield pecking order at Richmond while Essendon is not blessed with the same quality and depth of talent that we are - particularly going forward. Make Heppell stand out more at this stage too.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1129 on: March 29, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »
He's a stuffn dud passenger player.

Dumbest 3 year signing in club history.

Now with his body being weak as pee, he's a massive liability.
Would rather have shown some loyalty and stuck with whitey
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1130 on: March 29, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
I wouldn't be too quick.to discount his value to our squad. Yes he isn't setting the world on fire now but he is 21 and in my view still coming to terms with his role in the squad. I believe his skill level is above average when on song and as he matures as a player he will be on song more often, is and will part of the RFC's blueprint for success moving forward (remembering of course he is also recovering from what was quite a nasty hamstring injury). Some A graders currently running around were not considered A graders at 21, I'll grant you there are 21 year old A graders around but these are more the exception rather than the norm.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1131 on: March 29, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
Conca ain't weak

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1132 on: March 29, 2014, 05:35:35 PM »
Concs goes alright but no question Heppel is better. We'd swap now if we could.
Heps has size and real class. Concs ain't got those.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1133 on: March 29, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »
He has had a slow start to the season, would expect him to turn one on against the Dogs and then go forward from there. Will be a worry if he can't perform next week!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1134 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »
Who Conca?

Ooh yeah the guy we took a risk on at pick 6

Another inconsistent performer on our list, in the mould of Titch Tambling

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1135 on: March 29, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
Could have had Heppell, Caddy, Prestia, Guthrie or Darling I suppose. But you can punish yourself like that every draft.

He's a good player and lots of potential. Clearly just underdone.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1136 on: March 29, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »

Come off it ox, this kid wins contested ball in his sleep and will still be going strong long after whiteys hammy pings again,
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #1137 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:38 PM »
Was in great form breaking the lines and may have been one of the reasons the cheats got it over us elimination last year when he broke down, I'll wait a couple more weeks

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1138 on: March 29, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
All these guys that are bagging Conca must ask themselves one question - how easy would it be if you yourself tore your hamstring off the bone? Most guys here would be on crutches for months. This guy has been able to get back and do modified training. He is clearly underdone but he'll get better.

Give him time to regain his touch. Obviously the brains trust think a 70% fit Conca is better than anything else we have in the VFL. It's not his fault they are playing him!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

1980 I Was There

« Reply #1139 on: March 30, 2014, 03:50:32 AM »

Come off it ox, this kid wins contested ball in his sleep and will still be going strong long after whiteys hammy pings again,
:thumbsup