Author Topic: AFL captains slam the new slide rule (Foxsports)  (Read 2434 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL captains slam the new slide rule (Foxsports)
« on: March 20, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
AFL captains slam the new slide rule saying it changes the way the game is played and is confusing

By Matt Windley
    Herald Sun
    March 20, 2013 8:20AM

Several AFL captains have savaged the sliding rule that has been introduced this year.

The leaders gathered in Melbourne to mark the new season and those against the rule said it would affect a fundamental element of the game.

Of the 15 club captains surveyed by the Herald Sun, eight were against it.

Adelaide captain Nathan van Berlo said outlawing contact below the knees would change "how we played our footy growing up".

Hawthorn counterpart Luke Hodge said the interpretation would rob the game of acts of desperation.

As trialled in the NAB Cup, a free kick will be awarded against a player who makes forceful contact below the knees of an opponent.

Van Berlo was the most vocal in his opposition to the rule, saying he worried it would be misinterpreted by umpires and players.

"That's how we played our footy growing up, so to remove that completely from the game is going to be very difficult," he said.

"For the odd occurrence where there's an injury, I understand the AFL's concern, but I don't think there's a drastic need to change it."

Hodge agreed with the need to outlaw players sliding into contests knees first.

"But with the sliding head-first desperation stuff, I don't agree with that," he said. "You've got to be able to slide and put your body on the line.

"That's what Glenn Archer was known for and why he played so many games.

"I agree with the knees first but head first, that's going to take away a lot of the desperation stuff the fans want to see and that's what makes our game so good."

St Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt was in favour of the rule, saying "anything that protects players from serious leg injuries (is good)".

But confusion reigned among many, even for those in favour of the change.

Melbourne's Jack Grimes said the AFL needed to explain the rule better.

Swans co-captain Jarrad McVeigh said Saturday's practice match against Port Adelaide had proved the rule was not clearly understood.

"Dan Hannebery kept his feet, picked the ball up and a player dived at his legs with their head and they got the free kick for high contact, but Hanners got hit below the knees, so we couldn't work it out," McVeigh said.

"The rule is if you stay on your feet and take the ball, then you're in the right.

"If you just keep your feet, then that's all you can do. You've just got to keep your feet and try to take the ball. If not, you tackle."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/afl-captains-slam-the-new-slide-rule-saying-it-changes-the-way-the-game-is-played-and-is-confusing/story-e6frf3e3-1226601162458#ixzz2O2zi2LdJ

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: AFL captains slam the new slide rule (Foxsports)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:47:06 AM »
It's the worst rule in the history of sport.

I hate this new rule almost as much as I hate the scum.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »

As evidenced in our praccy against bulldogs and the adel vs ess match. The hard working player gets penalised whilethe smart player who Iis too lazy to contest will stand around till his legs are touched and have the nerve to demand the ball as soon as the ump blows their whistle.

Crunchtime on SEN were discussing this and I dont think one of them were a fan from memory, that includes Robbo, Harf, Wallsy and Moondog . Most were opposed to another rule about the back? But I didnt grab all 8f that.
Harf said KB would be all over it on mondays program, time to get the geisch back on the line

And maybe give him some mains voltage treatment too imo  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Ox

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:01:15 PM »
Stand around watching a bloke build a car and then drive off in it.

Sounds about right.....

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
Players are getting penalised for bending down and making contact with legs. It's a stuffing slide rule you dumb stuffs. How fcking hard is that to comprehend!!! Absolute rubbish rule to start with and they can't even police it stuffing properly. Absolute rubbish afl. stuff off and die dimwit. Ruining such a great game. Hope crowds and ratings die in the arse.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »
Players are getting penalised for bending down and making contact with legs. It's a stuffing slide rule you dumb stuffs. How stuffing hard is that to comprehend!!! Absolute rubbish rule to start with and they can't even police it stuffing properly. Absolute rubbish afl. stuff off and die dimwit. Ruining such a great game. Hope crowds and ratings die in the arse.

That's what has been annoying for me about the new rule.  I have no problem paying it when there is a slide but bending down to pick up a ball up is just good contested footy with no more risk of injury than any other body clash in the game.  They will stuff our game completely if idiotic sycophants like Gieschen keep having any control.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
Was Mark LeCras' injury caused because of the sliding rule?

Came to a contest uncertain of whether to stay up or go low, so ended up going half half.  Just throwing it out there but you gotta wonder.  Will we see just as many injuries just different types? i think we will.  The reason we have this sliding rule is because the AFL made the head sacred, so players just went in lower and harderknowing they'll get a free. 

i was under the imression this sliding rule was supposed to be for players going in legs 1st???  Its becoming a hard game to follow.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »

As evidenced in our praccy against bulldogs and the adel vs ess match. The hard working player gets penalised whilethe smart player who Iis too lazy to contest will stand around till his legs are touched and have the nerve to demand the ball as soon as the ump blows their whistle.

Crunchtime on SEN were discussing this and I dont think one of them were a fan from memory, that includes Robbo, Harf, Wallsy and Moondog . Most were opposed to another rule about the back? But I didnt grab all 8f that.
Harf said KB would be all over it on mondays program, time to get the geisch back on the line

And maybe give him some mains voltage treatment too imo  :shh

I think you mean while the softy player

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
Oh and I don't know about other leagues in the state/country but my local league has started following that rule and apparently will be pretty strict on it

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
Players are getting penalised for bending down and making contact with legs. It's a stuffing slide rule you dumb stuffs. How stuffing hard is that to comprehend!!! Absolute rubbish rule to start with and they can't even police it stuffing properly. Absolute rubbish afl. stuff off and die dimwit. Ruining such a great game. Hope crowds and ratings die in the arse.

That's what has been annoying for me about the new rule.  I have no problem paying it when there is a slide but bending down to pick up a ball up is just good contested footy with no more risk of injury than any other body clash in the game.  They will stuff our game completely if idiotic sycophants like Gieschen keep having any control.

:clapping

I wrote that rant after one was paid last night. Don't think it was paid at all after that one and it was bloody enjoyable game to watch and the only injury that I noticed was when both players avoided sliding and bent down and collided.  :lol inb4 rule change you can't do that either.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »
When we find two players get to a contest and both wait to see what the other is going to do so the free kick is the objective and not the ball then forget about speccys, goals from the boundary line all the great bits of play, the essence and core of the game is stuffed.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »
When we find two players get to a contest and both wait to see what the other is going to do so the free kick is the objective and not the ball then forget about speccys, goals from the boundary line all the great bits of play, the essence and core of the game is stuffed.

Agree Tucker, spot on.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »
Ellis has been screwed several times already.

The days of teaching kids go hard with ones head of the ball are behind us.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
listening too the the radio commentary of the port-crows game. westoff dived on the ball and dished it off. One of the commentars said all the the crows player had to do was stand closer and let westoff hit his legs to get the free.

sums up what these arse clowns are making of the game.

so sad.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
listening too the the radio commentary of the port-crows game. westoff dived on the ball and dished it off. One of the commentars said all the the crows player had to do was stand closer and let westoff hit his legs to get the free.

sums up what these arse clowns are making of the game.

so sad.

Happened today at Etihad, Tucky went for the ball that was his focus and he got penalised because the dogs player stood there waiting to get touched

Pathetic
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:03:08 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)