Author Topic: Footy Classified  (Read 272321 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Footy Classified
« Reply #525 on: April 18, 2009, 06:27:42 PM »
And some on here have put this tool up as a prospective coach for us!!!!!!

We have sacked 1 coach in 20 years - Robert Walls in 1997.  Just goes to show how much he believes and accepts populist crap without checking his facts.
If you're being pedantic about it maybe. If you go by coaches who would have preferred to keep their contracts going, then it's not such a pretty picture.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #526 on: April 18, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »

We have sacked 1 coach in 20 years - Robert Walls in 1997.  Just goes to show how much he believes and accepts populist crap without checking his facts.
If you're being pedantic about it maybe. If you go by coaches who would have preferred to keep their contracts going, then it's not such a pretty picture.

How am I being pedantic?  We have sacked 1 coach in 20 years!!

Bartlett saw out his contract, Jeans resigned (ill health), Northey resigned (better offer elsewhere), Walls sacked, Gieschen saw out his contract, Frawley saw out his contract.

Who else have we sacked?

I contend that almost every coach would love to sign a new contract at the end of their existing one but if the club decides to appoint someone else then welcome to life - you haven't been sacked, just not reappointed.  You sign a contract to do a certain job for a certain period - nothing more, nothing less.

As a club, we have been very, very unfairly treated by the media when it comes to the perpetual lie that we have a history of sacking our coaches.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #527 on: April 18, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »

How am I being pedantic?  We have sacked 1 coach in 20 years!!

Bartlett saw out his contract, Jeans resigned (ill health), Northey resigned (better offer elsewhere), Walls sacked, Gieschen saw out his contract, Frawley saw out his contract.

Who else have we sacked?

I contend that almost every coach would love to sign a new contract at the end of their existing one but if the club decides to appoint someone else then welcome to life - you haven't been sacked, just not reappointed.  You sign a contract to do a certain job for a certain period - nothing more, nothing less.

As a club, we have been very, very unfairly treated by the media when it comes to the perpetual lie that we have a history of sacking our coaches.

:clapping :clapping
agree 100%

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #528 on: April 18, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
The Tigers have a chequered history when it comes to patience with their incumbent coach. For better or for worse they usually sack then think.
Just 2 coaches in 10 years and no sackings despite the lack of success would dispute that. That's just spurting out an old myth that no longer applies.

Got to say MT, that we sack this time then what has happened in the the last 10 years wont mean anything....the old myth will apply

Rightly or wrongly.....

That's true WP but that's only if we stupidly do it.

Smokey we went through 11 coaches between 1980 and 2000. We had 4 in 5 years b/w 95-2000. Whether they were technically sacked or their contract not renewed the shoe fitted the club then. It doesn't now unless the Board is stupid and doesn't let Wallace see out his final year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #529 on: April 18, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »

Smokey we went through 11 coaches between 1980 and 2000. We had 4 in 5 years b/w 95-2000. Whether they were technically sacked or their contract not renewed the shoe fitted the club then. It doesn't now unless the Board is stupid and doesn't let Wallace see out his final year.

And we won 4 flags between 1967 and 1980 so using that theory we are a great team?  I could say the same thing about Collingwood - they are a very good club, after all, they have won 14 premierships, more than most others.  Trouble with that is they have only won 1 in the last 50 years so in fact they are a very poor club.  It is so far back in history that using what happened then to describe what we are now is not only not fair, it is misleading.  What is the difference between technically sacked and sacked?  A coaching contract is an employment agreement for a finite length so it is not being sacked if a new contract is not offered at the end of that term - you can't be sacked from something that doesn't exist.

4 in 5 years between 95-2000 you say?  That's a perfect example of using statistics to portray an unfair perception to suit your argument.  Those same 4 coaches actually coached for 13 years.  Why didn't you say that?  And of those 4, 1 (Walls) was sacked.  Northey quit for greener pastures when he didn't get what he wanted - how is that the club's fault?  Geischen's contract wasn't renewed when it ran out - and only an imbecilic club would have reappointed him.  Frawley's contract wasn't renewed when it ran out - see my earlier point about imbecilic clubs.  That's my point with this whole myth that the media love to perpetuate - we DO NOT have a recent or modern history of sacking coaches.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #530 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »
And we won 4 flags between 1967 and 1980 so using that theory we are a great team?  I could say the same thing about Collingwood - they are a very good club, after all, they have won 14 premierships, more than most others.  Trouble with that is they have only won 1 in the last 50 years so in fact they are a very poor club.  It is so far back in history that using what happened then to describe what we are now is not only not fair, it is misleading.  What is the difference between technically sacked and sacked?  A coaching contract is an employment agreement for a finite length so it is not being sacked if a new contract is not offered at the end of that term - you can't be sacked from something that doesn't exist.

4 in 5 years between 95-2000 you say?  That's a perfect example of using statistics to portray an unfair perception to suit your argument.  Those same 4 coaches actually coached for 13 years.  Why didn't you say that?  And of those 4, 1 (Walls) was sacked.  Northey quit for greener pastures when he didn't get what he wanted - how is that the club's fault?  Geischen's contract wasn't renewed when it ran out - and only an imbecilic club would have reappointed him.  Frawley's contract wasn't renewed when it ran out - see my earlier point about imbecilic clubs.  That's my point with this whole myth that the media love to perpetuate - we DO NOT have a recent or modern history of sacking coaches.
I agree it has nothing to do with us now after we've supported Spud and Wallace for 5 years each but going back in history the explanation for our coaches going wasn't as simple as their contract wasn't renewed. We let Hafey walk because 2 board members didn't think 4 flags in 10 years was good enough  ::), we didn't renew Jewell's first contract just 12 months after a flag because we were afraid Bourke would go elsewhere like Sheeds did, we let Sproule go after just one year because he was linked to Richardson's presidency, we let KB go because we could get Jeans but had Yabby said no we would've stuck with KB, we let Northey walk because he wanted 2 more years and we would only promise him one more, we sacked Walls (thank god lol), and Geisch and Daphne's presidency were linked. In any case 11 coaches in a 20 year period was a sign of a very unstable and overreactionary club. The ridicule we copped over our coaching merry-go-round was deserved although it hid a deeper problem. It more importantly hurt us when we searched for a new coach after Geisch and only Spud was left putting his hand up for a go  :P. I agree Smokey all this coach changing is not part of our recent history and it's irrelevant to the club in 2009 so the media are trolling bringing it up nowdays but it was our history for 20 odd years or so there.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #531 on: April 19, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
I agree Smokey all this coach changing is not part of our recent history and it's irrelevant to the club in 2009 so the media are trolling bringing it up nowdays but it was our history for 20 odd years or so there.

Yeah MT, I just get very frustrated with the myth.  Yes, I agree that we had probably 10 years through the 80's when we were a coaches minefield but we haven't been for so long now that I just think it's totally unfair to the club for that perception to linger.  And yes, I'm not that naive to think the media will let go of it anytime soon.   >:(  Thats why reading the article by that sanctimonious fool Thomas really got under my skin.  Him, coming from a club that has had the same number of coaches as us in the past 20 years (7) AND they sacked 2 of them - 1 more than us - ANd he was one of them!  Or maybe a Brisbane - 1 of the great clubs of the modern era - 7 coaches in the last 20 years and sacked 2 of them.  Or maybe a Carlton - 6 coaches in the last 20 years and sacked 2 of them.  I didn't read anywhere in his article where he described any of them as:

"The Tigers have a chequered history when it comes to patience with their incumbent coach. For better or for worse they usually sack then think.

It is as though they are the governors of popular opinion. Courage under fire and standing by their decisions are not a high priority.
"

But probably the line that topped it off for me was this:

It is with this in mind that Terry Wallace should be shaking in his Hugo Boss boots.

That displays a level of arrogance and conceited hypocrisy that shows his character for what it truly is.  Hypocritic wanker.

And some on here want this guy as our next coach.   :wallywink  :banghead

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #532 on: April 19, 2009, 11:28:07 AM »

Have to correct you there smokey

Gieschen did not see out his contract. He had 1 year to go on it and he resigned although it was common knowledge in the footy world that he quit before he was sacked.

we didn't renew Jewell's first contract just 12 months after a flag because we were afraid Bourke would go elsewhere like Sheeds did,

Again have to correct you MT - Jewell was very muched sacked. He had a 3 year ocntract and served 2 years and was sacked after 1981
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #533 on: April 20, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »
I agree Smokey all this coach changing is not part of our recent history and it's irrelevant to the club in 2009 so the media are trolling bringing it up nowdays but it was our history for 20 odd years or so there.

Yeah MT, I just get very frustrated with the myth.  Yes, I agree that we had probably 10 years through the 80's when we were a coaches minefield but we haven't been for so long now that I just think it's totally unfair to the club for that perception to linger.  And yes, I'm not that naive to think the media will let go of it anytime soon.   >:(  Thats why reading the article by that sanctimonious fool Thomas really got under my skin.  Him, coming from a club that has had the same number of coaches as us in the past 20 years (7) AND they sacked 2 of them - 1 more than us - ANd he was one of them!  Or maybe a Brisbane - 1 of the great clubs of the modern era - 7 coaches in the last 20 years and sacked 2 of them.  Or maybe a Carlton - 6 coaches in the last 20 years and sacked 2 of them.  I didn't read anywhere in his article where he described any of them as:

"The Tigers have a chequered history when it comes to patience with their incumbent coach. For better or for worse they usually sack then think.

It is as though they are the governors of popular opinion. Courage under fire and standing by their decisions are not a high priority.
"

But probably the line that topped it off for me was this:

It is with this in mind that Terry Wallace should be shaking in his Hugo Boss boots.

That displays a level of arrogance and conceited hypocrisy that shows his character for what it truly is.  Hypocritic wanker.

And some on here want this guy as our next coach.   :wallywink  :banghead

if Grant Thomas becomes coach of our club i will seriously consider giving it away.

I couldnt stand that prick at Stkilda and i cant stand him now. He is an undermining fuqwit who should never coach again.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #534 on: April 20, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »
Caro and co. are coming on shortly at 10.30pm tonight. No doubt we'll be the lead story again.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #535 on: April 20, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
Summary

* Caro - no doubt Terry won't coach beyond this year and he knows it himself

* Thomas - you've made commitment and you stick by it (re: let Terry coach out the season).

* Hutchy said you can't keep him on in this situation and it never works. Caro said Tony Shaw stayed on, played the kids and everyone at Collingwood thanked him for it.

* This is what Caro would do:
- Would let Terry coach out of the year
- Leave any annoucement until midyear and then play kids and only kids for the rest of the season.
- Never play Brown again. Two thoughts on Joel.
- Offer Malthouse the job for the next 3 years.

* They replayed Pagan on ch 7 saying he wants to coach again. Caro said it was poor to do so on the day a coach is under seige and with Pagan coaching Wallace's son at the Northern Knights. They others didn't see any problem with it.

* They replayed snippets from March on SEN - no sheedy and there being a contigency plan. Thomas said March should have a contigency plan for himself. Got stuck into March for his comments a few weeks ago about his "see in 2-3 weeks time" comment. March should have been more definite in his support. You're either in or you're out. Hutchy said to Thomas that he has issues with presidents and March has been good with his support.

* They showed a list of our 30+ year olds - Richo, Joel, Browny, Cuz, Simmo and Johnson.
- Thomas would get rid of Cousins, Bowden and Johnson.
- Caro thinks Brown will go at the end of the year too.
- Lyon would look at all six. No one is beyond being looked at.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #536 on: April 20, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »
Caro really wants Micky at Punt Rd. When the discussion got onto Collingwood she said if he stayed at the Pies he'd only get 2 more years at the most there whereas he could get 3 plus another 3 say at Richmond. Good old Hutchy said that's 6 years  :wallywink. Caro also mentioned Malthouse saying he would coach another club after Collingwood.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #537 on: April 20, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
Caro really wants Micky at Punt Rd. When the discussion got onto Collingwood she said if he stayed at the Pies he'd only get 2 more years at the most there whereas he could get 3 plus another 3 say at Richmond. Good old Hutchy said that's 6 years  :wallywink. Caro also mentioned Malthouse saying he would coach another club after Collingwood.

yep.

you get the feeling something is brewing at lexus centre and at Punt Road.

Malthouse would be magnificent at our club.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #538 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:24 PM »

Looks to me like Malthouse is doing a Sheedy.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #539 on: April 21, 2009, 07:24:52 AM »
Thomas also said that TW had conducted himself with immense dignity and perhaps our president should try it  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)