Author Topic: Footy Classified  (Read 272685 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Footy Classified
« Reply #1590 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »
Yep we now need a rule change to fix this years rule change. Then that will get exploited so we will need a new rule for 2015.  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead FFS just go back to the 1897 rules and start again. Let the game evolve itself.  :banghead :banghead :banghead

Nope! What I'm saying is they shouldn't have changed the fricken rule in the first place. One ruck contest, two ruckmen jumping at each other from opposite points of the square. What could be more simple or perfect than that? They've just gone and created another grey area for scumbags like Lyon to exploit in his never ending quest to drag the game down into the mire. But if you think that's "evolution" then so be it.

That was my sarcastic way of saying that it shouldn't have been changed to start with. I agree with you. ;D

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1591 on: April 30, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
There's a simple solution - only 2 men in a ruck contest and no ball ups, only throw ups.  Ball ups provide a fair contest and then any interference at a stoppage becomes illegal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1592 on: April 30, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »

The show didn't mention this but just as an aside re-looking at the vision, Nahas was in that space initially on his own in front of the ruck contest (everyone else was manned up expect for Hannath who was 2m behind Maric and Griffin). Nahas then runs past the ruck contest to outside the pack (as Hannath runs in to double team Maric) leaving the space open for Ballantyne to run into and kick the winning goal.

Just on this point about Hannath and Griffin double-teaming Maric, One-Eyed: There was some speculation on another forum that they were doing this for much of the game, with Hannath basically blocking Maric's run at the ball, which is apparently illegal, but the umpire's ignored it. I must admit, I can't put myself through the agony of watching the game again to verify these claims. I just wonder what your thoughts are: Do you recall any incidents of this happening? And can you clarify what the actual rule is regarding what ruckmen can do to negate each other at centre bounces/stoppages??

They were doing it all night, and even shepherding our forwards out of marking contests for the third man to intercept mark uncontested. .

The ruck rule is so cloudy. The third man up is allowed to be blocked but cannot block himself. So they would nominate the ruckman, in this case Hannath, who is allowed to lock in with Maric to 'contest' once the ball is thrown and allowing a third man to go up. We could have used somebody to block the third man but unless a ruck was nominated that third man could claim he was the designated ruck and blocked or illegally contacted. Teams like Sydney are using both Mumford and Pyke around the ground and not nominating who the ruckman is and milking blocking and illegal ruck contact frees, abusing the new rule. That's why this new rule is so crap. You have a bunch of blokes standing around a stoppage and unless the umpire asks or nominates rucks like in Auskick then it's going to keep getting abused.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts dwaino.

The abuse of the third man up rule is what happened on Friday night. Even if you just look at just the stoppages after Whitey's goal up until Ballantyne goal, there were two-to-three instances of Maric being deliberately blocked/shepherded from going for the ball in the ruck contest which is illegal but the umps just let them all go  :banghead. After the centre bounce after Whitey's goal, Cotch dives in and locks it up. At this subsequent ball-up, Hannath just locks into Maric while having his back to the ball-up and while also making no attempt to go for the ball, allowing his teammate Griffin to jump up on his own and tap it 20m forward for Fyfe to run on and kick it long into Freo's forward 50 where Rance does well to spoil to force a throw-in. At this throw-in, Maric is once again blocked from going for the ball by one Freo ruckman as the other gets a freebie hitout (you can see in the footage Ivan is demonstrating with the his arms out trying to attract the umpires' attention that he is being illegally shepherded). In the last throw-in after the ball hits the post, Griffin is level with Maric as the ball in thrown back in and Hannath comes from 2m behind to force a two-on-one ruck contest which sends the ball into the open space we stupidly left open for Ballatyne to run onto and goal.

Out of all those stoppages, only the last one was legal. The others are illegal blocking and Maric should have been paid a free kick each time for shepherding in the ruck. What Freo is doing with their two ruckmen is blatant cheating. The umps had and have the power to stop it in an instant but they did nothing about it on the night  :banghead. In the old days, a coach or captain could go up to the umps at the breaks to question decisions/non-decisions but that's forbidden now as well  ::). As for going through the "proper channels" after the game - what's the point when you've got a total moron in Gieschen with his head in the sand denying anything is wrong  :facepalm.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1593 on: April 30, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »
Good calls MT & dwaino

Do you think the fact that this season Maric seems to always looks at his opposing ruckman at ever centre square bounce and stoppage rather than the ball is causing the moronic umpires to keep an eye on that as opposed to watching for the blocks?

:-\ :-\

I really noticed on Friday night Maric looking at his opponent especially at the stoppages 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #1594 on: April 30, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »
In the old days, a coach or captain could go up to the umps at the breaks to question decisions/non-decisions but that's forbidden now as well  ::). As for going through the "proper channels" after the game - what's the point when you've got a total moron in Gieschen with his head in the sand denying anything is wrong  :facepalm.

Amazing isn't it? In rugby the Captain can have a civil discussion with the refs regarding decisions, indiscretions, interpretations etc. so both the players and the officials stay on the same page with what's happening in the game.

In AFL umpires call players by their first names like they are children and any form of conversation is considered dissent and a 50m penalty or even a fine. And they wonder why they are considered maggots.

gerkin greg

« Reply #1595 on: April 30, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
Maybe we should be playing two actual ruckmen + Vickery

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1596 on: April 30, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
Gaddy put Missy Lloyd back in her box.

funny as. :lol

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1597 on: April 30, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »

I've been saying that for 12 months.  Play Vickery as a forward who can ruck if needed.

gerkin greg

« Reply #1598 on: April 30, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »

I've been saying that for 12 months.  Play Vickery as a forward who can ruck if needed.

So it's your fault. Thanks for owning up  ;D

Had Ivvy, Borry and Vicks in my side in the changes thread this week, I'll bump it so I can pat myself

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1599 on: April 30, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
 :lol

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1600 on: April 30, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »

So it's your fault. Thanks for owning up  ;D

Had Ivvy, Borry and Vicks in my side in the changes thread this week, I'll bump it so I can pat myself

Just don't call him a secret or the weapon please
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1601 on: May 06, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »
Tonight they first looked at Cotchin. Out of the top 20 possession getters in the AFL, Cotch is 20th for disposals efficiency, 4th in clangers and 20th in goals (kicked 0.4 for the year). Lyon wondered if the captaincy is getting to him as is 3 losses on the trot. The showed the free Cotch gave away to Steve Johnson for pushing Johnson right in the front of the umpire when we were 52-33 up. Lyon said Richmond players have got to relax as they haven't been bad in the 3 losses. Newman another one who was out of character with the undiscipline stuff.

Lloyd stating the obvious said it's a big game this week against Port in Adelaide after 3 straight losses. I think it was Lyon who said we'll win. Hutchy said the draw now opens up for Richmond.

Caro mentioned our end of quarters have been dreadful this year. It wasn't the 3rd qtr but the end of the 2nd qtr that was a disaster for Richmond. They then went through each of the 4 goals Geelong got - Cotch's free on Johnson, Houli poor on Stokes and then Morris went the wrong side opening up the goal for Geelong, 3rd goal was due to no one filling in the space in front of the direct lead while the 4th was due to losing a contest on the wing and allowing Cat players to get goal side in numbers.

Nathan Brown gave Deledio worst on ground after the game. When Lids came on the Sunday footy show, Hutch and Lloyd claimed Lids was ticked off with Browny who he considered a friend as a former teammate. Lloyd said Lids was the flatest looking player who has ever come onto the show. Hutchy said that's good. They (Richmond players) are showing they don't like losing and having poor games. Lyon said it's another example that the pressure might be getting to a few Tigers. Lyon said Deledio shouldn't worry as Dimma was happy with him after the Freo game. 1-2 bad games isn't the end of the world.

Lyon said Richmond are still in the developing stage and it's all part of the learning process.

According to Lyon
Maric is 50/50 for this week
Vickery is still to be assessed.
Grimes is 50/50 with a foot
Petterd will miss with a calf.

Caro added that she thinks the first two will play but that Lyon may be right about the latter two (ie. the could both miss the Port game).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:34:07 AM by one-eyed »

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1602 on: May 07, 2013, 12:01:07 AM »
Tonight they first looked at Cotchin. Out of the top 20 possession getters in the AFL, Cotch is 20th for disposals efficiency, 4th in clangers and 20th in goals (kicked 0.4 for the year). Lyon wondered if the captaincy is getting to him as is 3 losses on the trot. The showed the free Cotch gave away to Steve Johnson for pushing Johnson right in the front of the umpire when we were 52-33 up. Lyon said Richmond players have got to relax as they haven't been bad in the 3 losses. Newman another one who was out of character with the undiscipline stuff.

Lloyd stating the obvious said it's a big game this week against Port in Adelaide after 3 straight losses. I think it was Lyon who said we'll win. Hutchy said the draw now opens up for Richmond.

Caro mentioned our end of quarters have been dreadful this year. It wasn't the 3rd qtr but the end of the 2nd qtr that was a disaster for Richmond. They then went through each of the 4 goals Geelong got - Cotch's free on Johnson, Houli poor on Stokes and then Morris went the wrong side opening up the goal for Geelong, 3rd goal was due to no one filling in the space in front of the direct lead while the 4th was due to losing a contest on the wing and allowing Cat players to get goal side in numbers.

Nathan Brown gave Deledio worst on ground after the game. When Lids came on the Sunday footy show, Hutch and Lloyd claimed Lids was ticked off with Browny who he considered a friend as a former teammate. Lloyd said Lids was the flatest looking player who has ever come onto the show. Hutchy said that's good. They (Richmond players) are showing they don't like losing and having poor games. Lyon said it's another example that the pressure might be getting to a few Tigers. Lyon said Deledio shouldn't worry as Dimma was happy with him after the Freo game. 1-2 bad games isn't the end of the world.

Lyon said Richmond are still in the developing stage and it's all part of the learning process.

According to Lyon
Maric is 50/50 for this week (I think Caro chipped in the end to say he might play).
Vickery is still to be assessed.
Grimes will probably miss with a foot
Petterd will miss with a calf.

I think Hutchy said something like " you can tell the really want it" meaning I think the success.
Gaddy said we need to relax, are we playing too uptight/wound up.

Velvet Sledge hammer has Dermies disease, he smirks when he talks.
He is a dill, round one states that perhaps the bullies are better than he thought because they beat the bears...oops the Lions, this week he is all over like a rash, these ex footballers as commentators are idiots.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1603 on: May 07, 2013, 02:39:22 AM »
They also showed Cotch getting a clearance from stoppage on the wing while matched up against Selwood and then Cotch running forward to try and rove any ball spill at the next contest. Selwood stayed where he was expecting his teammate to take the mark over Kingy. So the result is Selwood ends up with the ball passed to him in the middle of the ground with Cotch backtracking 15m behind him. Lyon said it was an example of Selwood's smarts judging who would win the contest.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1604 on: May 07, 2013, 08:13:43 AM »
They also showed Cotch getting a clearance from stoppage on the wing while matched up against Selwood and then Cotch running forward to try and rove any ball spill at the next contest. Selwood stayed where he was expecting his teammate to take the mark over Kingy. So the result is Selwood ends up with the ball passed to him in the middle of the ground with Cotch backtracking 15m behind him. Lyon said it was an example of Selwood's smarts judging who would win the contest.
Example of Selwood being lazy and getting away with it.