Author Topic: Cotch, Rance & Riewoldt in streamline 3-man Richmond leadership group (afl site)  (Read 2226 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers stick with captain 'Cotch', Riewoldt promoted

Michael Whiting 
afl.com.au
March 17, 2017 8:00 PM

TRENT Cotchin will lead a streamlined three-man Richmond leadership group in 2017, after being appointed skipper for a fifth-straight season.

Jack Riewoldt and Alex Rance will be his co-vice captains.

The Tigers had a five-strong group to lead last season, with Riewoldt stepping up in place of Shane Edwards, Ivan Maric and the departed Brett Deledio (Greater Western Sydney)

Cotchin, a Brownlow Medallist, All Australian and three-time Jack Dyer Medallist, was voted by the players to continue as captain.

"Trent is an impressive player and person, and his leadership of this group has developed significantly," Richmond’s general manager of football Neil Balme said.

"We love the way that Trent leads from the front, supports his teammates and represents our football club, and the Richmond jumper.

"We’re very confident that both Jack and Alex will be great support for Trent as his deputies this season."

Riewoldt, 28, and Rance, 27, have impeccable playing records, both winning club best and fairests and both being All Australians.

"Jack is a wonderful clubman and we look forward to him continuing to support Trent and his teammates in season 2017," Balme said.

"Alex is a very passionate and influential player and person around the club.  He is highly rated among his teammates and we look forward to him having another great season."

The Richmond leadership group was voted by the playing group, in consultation with the coaching and football department staff, club executive, and facilitated by leadership consultant, Shane McCurry.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-17/tigers-stick-with-captain-cotch-riewoldt-promoted

Jackstar 1960

Great night had at season launch

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

There’s a lot of love at Richmond for captain Trent Cotchin, at least from vice-captain Alex Rance. Jack Riewoldt is also part of the Tigers three-man leadership group. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Trent Cotchin named Richmond captain for 2017, Jack Riewoldt joins leadership group

SAM EDMUND,
Herald Sun
an hour ago

TRENT Cotchin will captain Richmond for a fifth season after he was emphatically endorsed to front a new three-man leadership group.

The Brownlow medallist is flanked by vice captains Alex Rance and Jack Riewoldt, who has been entrusted with a leadership role for the first time in four years.

Cotchin bore the brunt of the Tigers’ miserable 2016 campaign, with the midfielder repeatedly criticised over his leadership.

But he hit back today, telling the Herald Sun the opinion of outsiders meant nothing.

“You don’t pick being captain by yourself. People can say whatever they want and say that I’m not the right person, but the reality is that my peers think that is the case and that gives me a whole lot of confidence and excitement about leading our group,” Cotchin said.

“You’re voted in because they see something in you that gives them the confidence that you can lead the group.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick last year described criticism of Cotchin’s captaincy as “farcical”, while wife Brooke said it had been “incredibly hard”.

“That’s probably who it affects most. It’s not just me, but it’s family, my father, my mum, Brooke’s family and close friends and even people here inside the club,” Cotchin said.

“That’s where it becomes probably a little bit unfair because they’re not paid to cop the flak, whereas I am. Last year, in it’s entirety, was a challenging year for our footy club and the reality is people are entitled to have opinions.

“You need to have a thick skin, whether you’re an AFL captain or an AFL player and we need to perform at a consistent level. That’s the expectation.”

Cotchin said he was constantly striving to develop relationships with every player on the list.

“There’s 44 different personalities here. In any other business, not everyone is going to be best mates with everyone,” he said.

“I think pretty much everyone at the footy club drinks coffee so the easiest thing is to go out and have a coffee. It’s about creating that connection. It doesn’t mean you have to be best friends, but (have) an element of respect and keep the door open for guys to come and see you at any given time.

“You need to be genuine, you need to be real and no one is perfect; that’s the key for me going forward.”

Riewoldt’s elevation to co-vice captain comes after Brett Deledio was traded to GWS and Shane Edwards and Ivan Maric weren’t part of the leadership restructure.

“As we’ve seen over a number of years, Jack has some amazing strengths. He’s also had times where he’s shown on-field that things can affect him at times,” Cotchin said.

“But he’s done a lot of work and his relationships are as good as they’ve ever been, especially with our young forward line.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/trent-cotchin-named-richmond-captain-for-2017-jack-riewoldt-joins-leadership-group/news-story/75b9a88175db322cd2a250503159c9d3

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd say Batch would be in some form of spiritual leadership role
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Perfect :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"We love the way that Trent leads from the front, supports his teammates and represents our football club, and the Richmond jumper," said Richmond's football general manager Neil Balme.

"Trent is an impressive player and person, and his leadership of this group has developed significantly.

"We're very confident that both Jack and Alex will be great support for Trent as his deputies this season."

Riewoldt, 28, has been the Tigers' leading goalkicker for the past seven seasons while Rance, 27, had another outstanding season in 2016, finishing with All-Australian honours for the third consecutive year.

"Jack is a wonderful clubman and we look forward to him continuing to support Trent and his teammates in season 2017," Balme said.

"Alex is a very passionate and influential player and person around the Club.  He is highly rated among his teammates and we look forward to him having another great season."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2017-jack-riewoldt-back-in-richmond-leadership-group-20170317-gv0x94.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I'd say Batch would be in some form of spiritual leadership role

:clapping

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Good selections, each of them ...   :clapping
A forward, a defender & a midfielder ....  good work!     :gotigers
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Yep terrific night  :clapping

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Perfect :clapping

I agree, I'm confident this trio can really motivate the group, Rance and Riewoldt, really dynamic pair.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
 :chuck :chuck co-(vice)captains

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotch talking about the new leadership group...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2017-03-17/cotchin-on-leadership-group

Jackstar 1960

Yep terrific night  :clapping

Not too many there
Just perfect

Ruanaidh

When common sense becomes something to celebrate.........Oh well, better late than never I suppose. I see Balme's fingerprints on this decision.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
When common sense becomes something to celebrate.........Oh well, better late than never I suppose. I see Balme's fingerprints on this decision.

More for of a relief than a celebration for mine. Here's hoping Jack moves to captain next year
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018