Author Topic: Rawlings ponders Punt Rd future (RFC)  (Read 3228 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rawlings ponders Punt Rd future (RFC)
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:30:53 PM »
Rawlings ponders Punt Rd future
By Nathan Schmook 5:22 PM Thu 27 August, 2009

RICHMOND caretaker coach Jade Rawlings says he retains a genuine attachment to the players and will weigh up a possible future under new coach Damien Hardwick in the next few weeks.

Rawlings, who is contracted to Richmond for next season, said he had spoken to Hardwick yesterday but the new coach was not travelling to Perth for the side's Friday night clash with West Coast.

He admitted being disappointed when he didn't get the job himself.

"Naturally it was a disappointment, you don't put yourself in contention for a job like that unless you really want it," Rawlings said from Perth on Thursday.

"All of my energy has gone into coaching this game against West Coast and I'm really keen for the players to put in a good effort and finish in a good way after what's been a tough second half to the year.

"My situation will be taken care of in the next month or so I would have thought."

Rawlings said the club was to be commended on its extensive process to find Terry Wallace's replacement and he said he fully supported Hardwick's appointment.

"They were keen to get what they deemed to be the best person (and) Damien Hardwick's got terrific credentials," Rawlings said.

"He'll do a great job."

Rawlings said coaching the side one last time when he knew he wouldn't be the senior coach next year had not been a challenge.

Rather, after 11 games in charge he said he was grateful for the opportunity and would use the experience to further his coaching career.

"I'd like to think there's been subtle improvement over the 11 games I've been involved," he said.

"My experience has been profound, just in the short amount of time, and it can only serve me well, I think, as long as I make the most of it."

On the subject of Ben Cousins' future, Rawlings said he had shared his thoughts on the veteran and the rest of the Tigers' list when he applied for the senior coach position, but he wouldn't elaborate.

On the younger Tigers, he said there had been a changing of the guard in the second half of the season, and the club was better placed going into 2010 than it was mid-year.

"I think we've been able to change the way we play in the second half of the year," he said.

"I think the younger players have been afforded opportunities and there's been a bit of a changing of the guard there.

"To get away together and hopefully come over here and put in a good performance against the Eagles is what all of my energy's going into."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/83635/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Rawlings ponders Punt Rd future (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »
From .....WA today
Justin Chadwick
August 27, 2009 - 3:44PM

Rawlings, who has led the club to three wins and a draw since taking over when Terry Wallace stepped aside mid-season, spoke to Hardwick on Wednesday but said he was still unsure whether he would stay on as an assistant next season.

"I'm contracted (but) there's a lot of water to go under the bridge," Rawlings said.

"I'll sort that out with Damien and we'll work things out over the next three or four weeks."

Rawlings said he was disappointed to miss out on the senior coach's role but threw his support behind Hardwick to lead the club into a successful era.

"I think the club is to be commended on the exhaustive process they went through," he said.

"They were keen to get what they deemed to be the best person and I fully support the decision.

"Damien Hardwick's got terrific credentials and he'll do a great job.

"He's been involved in successful environments through Essendon, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn so he'll do well."

While Friday's match will mark the end of Rawlings' short stint as Richmond coach, he said he had loved every moment.

"I've been so lucky to be afforded an opportunity at my age to coach this footy club and 11 games is something that can never be taken away from me," he said.

"My experience has been profound in a short amount of time and it can only serve me well ... in the future."

http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-news-sport/cousins-absolutely-terrific-at-tigers-20090827-f10i.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
My guess fwiw - he'll stay and coach Coburg again next year.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:24:44 PM »

Why would you think that smokey ?

Because my initial thought was why would he want to go back to Coburg?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:45 PM »
Best he moves on

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »

Why would you think that smokey ?

Because my initial thought was why would he want to go back to Coburg?

From a RFC perspective - because he was doing good work with the kids and the team when he was there.
From a JR perspective - to continue his learning curve coaching in his own right - I think he got a taste of the real thing and is now a believer.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:52:32 PM »
I think he'll leave.

I can't see him staying after he initially undertook the job in a time of need for the club and although correctly overlooked for the senior gig. Would be very professional of him to stay after the club rejected him and just as professional and ambitious of him to go elsewhere also.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:38:22 AM »
Poor Jade obviously didn't much time to impress players at other clubs ...

Excluding your current senior coach, who do you rate as the best senior coach in the AFL?

Neil Craig 5.4%
Michael Voss 9.6%
Brett Ratten 1.3%
Mick Malthouse 15.7%
Matthew Knights 1.0%
Mark Harvey 0.6%
Mark Thompson 23.3%
Alistair Clarkson 3.5%
Dean Bailey 0.3%
Dean Laidley 0.3%
Darren Crocker 0.0%
Mark Williams 2.9%
Terry Wallace 0.3%
Jade Rawlings 0.0%
Ross Lyon 12.1%
Paul Roos 19.2%
John Worsfold 1.3%
Rodney Eade 3.2%

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25989868-19742,00.html

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:47 AM »
Poor Jade obviously didn't much time to impress players at other clubs ...

Excluding your current senior coach, who do you rate as the best senior coach in the AFL?

Neil Craig 5.4%
Michael Voss 9.6%
Brett Ratten 1.3%
Mick Malthouse 15.7%
Matthew Knights 1.0%
Mark Harvey 0.6%
Mark Thompson 23.3%
Alistair Clarkson 3.5%
Dean Bailey 0.3%
Dean Laidley 0.3%
Darren Crocker 0.0%
Mark Williams 2.9%
Terry Wallace 0.3%
Jade Rawlings 0.0%
Ross Lyon 12.1%
Paul Roos 19.2%
John Worsfold 1.3%
Rodney Eade 3.2%

More damning are the coaches who have had at least 1 full season to impress - Harvey, Bailey, Wallace, Laidley.

Some surprises also - Worsfold (premiership coach), Eade (GF and perennial finals coach), Williams (premiership coach).

bushranger

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
I think he'll leave.

I can't see him staying after he initially undertook the job in a time of need for the club and although correctly overlooked for the senior gig. Would be very professional of him to stay after the club rejected him and just as professional and ambitious of him to go elsewhere also.
I agree with this fully.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
Jade tonight said he hasn't spoken to any other clubs nor made a decision. He'll speak to Hardwick next week to see if there's a role for him and if Damien wants him still around.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 07:17:25 AM »
I must admit I feel sorry for Rawlings and wish him well if he does leave. Not so much as coach as the side fell away terribly obviously but the fact he was left to pick up the pieces of a list he didn't put together and in the main played the kids and the whole list out as we wanted him to.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »
I dont feel sorry at all. dont put your hand to do something when your aspirations are greater than your ability, as what beens proven over the past  2 months.
The kick ins and structure resemble suburban footy at the best.
He was way out of his league.

bushranger

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »
I too feel nothing for him.
As Jack said he put up his hand knowing what he had at his dispossale.
And if anything he has taken them even further back.
I will not miss him.
Don't let the door hit you on your way out Jade.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
I dont feel sorry at all. dont put your hand to do something when your aspirations are greater than your ability, as what beens proven over the past  2 months.
The kick ins and structure resemble suburban footy at the best.
He was way out of his league.
I'm sorry but that's just a rubbish comment
The human race would still be living in caves if we didn't have great aspirations
Even Hardwick will have aspirations greater than his ability at the moment, just like he said in is press conference, today is the worst he will be as a senior coach, he can only get better from here.
It was a caretaker role, it's not like he took the side over for 2-3 years and did nothing, if anything we wanted to lose to assist in the rebuild with better draft picks. The fact you ridicule and insult someone who was just a placeholder until 2010 shows the type of person you really are.