Author Topic: Miller defends Tiger recruiting policy  (Read 1092 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Miller defends Tiger recruiting policy
« on: July 22, 2007, 03:54:57 AM »
Miller defends Tiger recruiting policy
22 July 2007   Sunday Herald Sun

RICHMOND football director Greg Miller yesterday hit back at critics of the Tigers recruiting and said the club was not necessarily after tall targets in this year's national draft.

With the Tigers languishing at the bottom of the ladder, the blowtorch has been focused on their recruiting and decision to overlook key position players including Hawthorn's Lance Franklin.

Dominant Northern Knights ruckman Matthew Kreuzer is expected to be the draft's first selection, but if Carlton does not win another game it will receive a priority pick.

While rivals are building key-position stocks, Miller said the Tigers were also on the right track with their list management.

"People have talked about us being too short and too small. A lot of that is media talk and people thinking they know what we need. We have got our own opinion about what we need," he said.

"We would like to have more depth in the midfield. We probably need some more tall backs, but we think we have got quite a lot of tall forwards at the moment with Cleve Hughes, Jack Riewoldt, Jay Schulz and those guys.

"We certainly will be looking to improve our list as all clubs do, but to say we have targeted a tall defender is not quite right. We are looking for the best players to add to our list."

Miller said that while the Tigers would be on the lookout for uncontracted players in the pre-season draft, they were unlikely to have a war-chest to attract a star recruit.

Richmond hopes to make a $500,000 profit this year, but its priority is to employ a full-time list manager to bolster its recruiting department and several more part-time spotters. "We need extra staff in certain areas," Miller said.

"I wouldn't think we would have a big splash, but if Matthew Pavlich wanted to sign with us we would would talk to him," Miller said.

Meanwhile, the club has been buoyed by the condition of Nathan Brown's leg since his return in Round 12.

Brown has kicked eight goals in four games and, crucially, is pain-free and putting in extra sessions to lift his fitness levels.

"If he can finish this year really strongly, it gives him a good platform to work into the off-season," Tigers elite performance manager Matt Hornsby said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22111500%255E19742,00.html

Passionfruit

Re: Miller defends Tiger recruiting policy
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »
Greg Miller quoting ""Jay Schultz and those guys"" oh dear

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:23:30 AM »
Greg Miller quoting ""Jay Schultz and those guys"" oh dear

jack will make it, so will cleve, jay can be a decent player if richo wasnt in the 50 arch with him. pure and simple. we have seen it b4 , when jay is in teh fwd 50 without richo he can play

but also , just look at the game v the hawks, jay was a better fwd that sir richo

richo resorted back to is sooky and whinging to the umpires ways

Passionfruit

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Richo is a gun, move on!

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »
Yeah, so much for your "I'll never call Richo a sook again" :banghead

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:49:48 AM »
Richo iswas a gun, move on!

past tence

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 08:50:32 AM »
Yeah, so much for your "I'll never call Richo a sook again" :banghead

u obv didnt read the *fine print

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 08:52:45 AM »
Not my problem if you say things you don't mean.  Just doesn't help your credibility.

Passionfruit

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 08:54:17 AM »
Is a gun.
Thats why 40,000 will atttend today.( I know heaps going to go today because of his 250th- and some hope that he could get the team up for a win)
If he wasnt playing today, they would be lucky to get 20,000
If supporters would go and watch the rubbish his team mates dish up week after week.
Yeah people go to watch Kane Johnson, Pettifer and co :chuck

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »
Not my problem if you say things you don't mean.  Just doesn't help your credibility.

just because one day cheese is ur fav food, does not mean in a months time it has to be again?

understand???

or did that go over ur head??

talk about credibility, ever looked in the mirror

oh thats right , its richomania week, better put the make up on and look lime lamb this week

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 10:03:12 AM »
I tell you what after reading the Miller article Alex Rance could even be a chance at 2 in this draft.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »
I tell you what after reading the Miller article Alex Rance could even be a chance at 2 in this draft.

dont know much about rance, have any details

what about selwood, meant to be better than his 3 bros. if thats the case he would be a gr8 mid to get