Author Topic: Tigers set to sack Wallace: Caro (Age)  (Read 2554 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers set to sack Wallace: Caro (Age)
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:52:53 AM »
Tigers set to sack Wallace
Caroline Wilson | May 12, 2009

RICHMOND has unofficially decided to axe Terry Wallace and is expected to tell the struggling coach by the end of May that the club will pay out his contract should he choose not to continue until the end of the season.

The Tigers are preparing a contingency plan that has development coach Craig McCrae coming into contention as a caretaker, along with assistants David King and Wayne Campbell. Even Coburg coach Jade Rawlings will be considered as a temporary replacement.

While Wallace will coach Richmond into round eight against Port Adelaide, last Saturday's loss to the Brisbane Lions proved the final straw for the club's administration, which is working to unveil a long-term strategy in the knowledge that Wallace will not be a part of it. It is understood that Wallace knows his final year has been financially guaranteed.

Wallace is under no illusions that his coaching career is nearing an end and could be finished by the end of the month although he refused to speculate last night as to whether he would complete his contract.

He told The Age: "I've no issue with the club. The club has been supportive as they can possibly be.

"It's business as usual here. We started our review at 7am. I understand the frustration and the speculation and I understand the disappointment — I was as disappointed as anyone on Saturday. That doesn't mean we're falling apart here."

McCrae has come into contention as a short-term caretaker due to his coaching experience with Queensland while Rawlings is understood to command significant respect from the players.

Campbell, the former Richmond captain, returned to the club as a potential future coach and while he and King would be prepared to step in should Wallace decide to depart mid-season, King remains favourite in the short-term with Campbell seen as requiring more experience. Wallace's long-time assistant Brian Royal is not being considered.

With the Tigers and Wallace expected to finalise terms in the coming weeks, the club continued to scoff at suggestions that Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse has already been approached to take over next season.

The search for a new coach will begin next month with the Richmond board expected to approve and unveil the next stage of its football department restructure in the knowledge that drastic changes to the list are required.

Although the Tigers and Wallace have not yet officially discussed his future there is genuine doubt that Wallace would insist on remaining at the club once the decision to sack him had been reached.

Wallace's predecessor Danny Frawley, who completed his contract after accepting the inevitable at round 13 in 2004, yesterday described coaching out the final nine weeks of his contract as "the toughest thing I've ever done emotionally".

Frawley had four weeks remaining in the home-and-away season when the Tigers appointed Wallace.

"I didn't think it would hurt as much as it did," said Frawley, now head of the AFL Coaches' Association. "I think it was the country boy in me that thought, 'A deal's a deal'. I don't regret it and I'm glad I saw it through, it was almost like a grieving process, but I was pretty flat by the end of each day. I certainly don't regret it but it's not for everyone."

If Saturday's loss, coming when the Tigers were in a winning position for the second successive week, proved to be one capitulation too many for the club, it also seemed to have convinced Wallace he no longer had any hope of gaining the belief of his players this season. He appeared unusually flat and bewildered post-match.

He seemed to have rallied by early yesterday but was uncharacteristically publicly angry when door-stopped by a television journalist and asked if he had lost the passion to coach.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-set-to-sack-wallace/2009/05/11/1241893918335.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
Re: Tigers set to sack Wallace: Caro (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
caros usually on the money
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:34:04 AM »
Well if Wallace does go early by the club pushing him out it just goes to show that this club bow's to public pressure yet again and all the time. I would be very worried coming into this club as a coach, I would make sure my contract was so tight you could not poke a pin up it's arse!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:52 AM »
If they had of bowed to public pressure, we would have had a new coach in round 2.

They've stuck it out longer than I thought they would. I definitely thought something would happen after we lost to Melbourne.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:39:03 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i would rather Wallace than any of those fools McCrae, Rawlings or King. Keeping Solrium will guarantee a bottom 2 finish.

They are part of the problem. Those fools have done NOTHING at our club but create misery so why should they get a chance to prove in Junk time of the season proper if they can coach.

McCrae as development coach..hahaha what a joke he wouldn't even know how to spell the word.. Still got little league running around with chicken arms and our players skill level has gone backwards since he come over.

We dont want them to come in and string a few wins together so people think things are going well then they get offered a contract.

No stuffin way.

Campbell as caretaker or no-one

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »
They have only stuck it out until now to save face.... well some face. If they sacked him after the Melbourne game the press would have cruicified the club and so would have Wallace. Now with the press behind the sacking and numerous Jurno's calling for his head it paves a smoother path for the sacking.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »
I dont get caretaker coaches, unless they are told to go in and play kids for the future and secure draft picks I see no point.
Especially the names mentioned.
At the same time can see no point in wallace continuing either  ???

Ohh well, I'll keep supporting and going and see what unfolds, no use stressing over things I can't control.

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »
Keep him on Until R16 and 17 ... that way we can continue to lose enough games to ensure we get the priority and we can save some cash.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
I hope the club administration is smart enough to know that this is our last chance at stocking up on talented youth and whoever coaches the team for the rest of the year needs to be instructed to 'play the kids' until they start to over perform and then you play weaker kids... ;)

We just can't afford to not be in a strong drafting position this year with all the older players being moved on and the 2010+ draft pillaged by the new teams.

Stripes

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
I really do not believe Campbell should get the job, even as a caretaker, he has no experience in a successfull club and the Dogs are doing better since he left the coaching staff.... whats that telling you!! I would rather see David King in the role at least he knows what it takes to get into and win a GF.

"Rucks:

Tigermonk

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:16:02 AM »
I really do not believe Campbell should get the job, even as a caretaker, he has no experience in a successfull club and the Dogs are doing better since he left the coaching staff.... whats that telling you!! I would rather see David King in the role at least he knows what it takes to get into and win a GF.

you dont know poo about Campbell or what he does down there. he was very tactical at the dogs & even Rocket Eade said that in a public interview.
Eade was one of the people who said to him to take the offer at Richmond not to get rid of him but as all assistants are advised to move around to learn every aspect of the game at any club.
some assistant coaches are good at certain roles but that dont mean they will ever coach a team otherwise Chris Bond & Odonnell would be super coaches by now
Campbell will not coach Richmond, he was brought there to learn coaching & to put in place a Richmond person in a role as all other coaches are outsiders, his just replacing outgoing assistants who are going out the door with Wallace. Was the same step with putting Free on the board to do some dirty work for weaker people at the club.
Who do you think asked to get Campbell down at the club. His picking his assistants for the takeover & you dont have to be a wizard to work that out

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »

Who do you think asked to get Campbell down at the club. His picking his assistants for the takeover & you dont have to be a wizard to work that out

In the immortal words of Pauline Hansen: "Please Explain"

???

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »
Keep him on Until R16 and 17 ... that way we can continue to lose enough games to ensure we get the priority and we can save some cash.

100% Correct
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »

you dont know poo about Campbell or what he does down there. he was very tactical at the dogs & even Rocket Eade said that in a public interview.
Eade was one of the people who said to him to take the offer at Richmond not to get rid of him but as all assistants are advised to move around to learn every aspect of the game at any club.
some assistant coaches are good at certain roles but that dont mean they will ever coach a team otherwise Chris Bond & Odonnell would be super coaches by now
Campbell will not coach Richmond, he was brought there to learn coaching & to put in place a Richmond person in a role as all other coaches are outsiders, his just replacing outgoing assistants who are going out the door with Wallace. Was the same step with putting Free on the board to do some dirty work for weaker people at the club.

I know he never played in a GF side and ditto to comment posted by 1965??????????????

"Rucks:

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:20:11 PM »
caros usually on the money
I'm not sure, she certainly seems to have close ties to the coterie groups who are always undermining the club by trying to push their own agenda. Give how little of what Jackstar has said has come through regarding changes to be made in the past 2-3 years, I wouldn't be betting my house on it any time soon.