Author Topic: Troy Simmonds farewell game  (Read 5797 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Troy Simmonds farewell game
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »
My main point was the timing of it, maybe I didn't get it across properly. I'm all for a farewell game when there are holes in the side where Simmonds can take without someone deservedly or in development is forced to play at Coburg. This is the worst week to have it.

I understand the timing, you would think that the West Coast match would be a better farewell match
Not only is it a better chance at a win, but it also is at the G and right before the break week
Perhaps they know that Round 12 will mean a lot more Ins from Jackson, Connors and perhaps Gourdis so didn't want to add one more change.

Yep agree.
Go Tigers!

Tigermonk

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »
So in 5 years at the club Troy Simmonds has done more behind the doors than Kane Johnson, Darren Gasper, Andrew Kellaway, Rory Hilton and Matthew Richardson have done in their careers? Did Greg Tivendale  even have a farewell match? I fact I think he might have, and rightly so.

I'm not against Troy being fare welled. Everyone deserves to say goodbye, its the way its been allowed. Unless you've played 150+ games for the club, with form struggling and the game beyond you, you can't put your hand up and ask for a charity goodbye game. IE Tyson Edwards, and even that doesn't look good.

If we lost against Port last week it wouldn't have been an issue. The 22 that won last week 100% deserve there spot unless a player warrants their selection back ie a Foley, Jackson even Post after his 4 goal haul. Not a player that's post 30, in horrible form and struggling with fitness that wants 1 last hurrah match.

Troy isn't in the best 22 as it stands, why are we moving away from our vision of uncompromisable competitiveness. Picking a player that is probably only just fits in our best 30 at the moment is counter-intuitive to our development which is what this year is all about.

Yes Greg Tivendale did get a farewell game.
any player deserves a farewell game no matter how long he served the club. It's to celebrate a players career.

Thats a great idea Monk.

With around a 7,200 players going around when 18 teams are in the competition. Lets eventually give all of them farewell games. That makes sense.

Tiver deserved it, was 1 season shy of 200 games, I'm glad he got one.

You know it dont happen like that so stop being a Preacher  :shh

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
So in 5 years at the club Troy Simmonds has done more behind the doors than Kane Johnson, Darren Gasper, Andrew Kellaway, Rory Hilton and Matthew Richardson have done in their careers? Did Greg Tivendale  even have a farewell match? I fact I think he might have, and rightly so.

I'm not against Troy being fare welled. Everyone deserves to say goodbye, its the way its been allowed. Unless you've played 150+ games for the club, with form struggling and the game beyond you, you can't put your hand up and ask for a charity goodbye game. IE Tyson Edwards, and even that doesn't look good.

If we lost against Port last week it wouldn't have been an issue. The 22 that won last week 100% deserve there spot unless a player warrants their selection back ie a Foley, Jackson even Post after his 4 goal haul. Not a player that's post 30, in horrible form and struggling with fitness that wants 1 last hurrah match.

Troy isn't in the best 22 as it stands, why are we moving away from our vision of uncompromisable competitiveness. Picking a player that is probably only just fits in our best 30 at the moment is counter-intuitive to our development which is what this year is all about.

any player deserves a farewell game no matter how long he served the club. It's to celebrate a players career.

Thats a great idea Monk.

With around a 7,200 players going around when 18 teams are in the competition. Lets eventually give all of them farewell games. That makes sense.

720 AFL players. There's only around 46 players per list  ;).

Simmo has had a lengthy career and has been at Punt Rd longer than just 5 minutes. 6 years of which he'll seem like part of the furniture to most of our young list. Only Newy, Jacko, Tucky, Kel and Axel have been at Richmond longer and most of those only a year or so longer.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:02 AM »
Reading between the lines I think there is a little bit more to it than just Troy Simmonds farewell.  Hardwick mentioned on Monday night that it was more about what we wanted to stand for as a football club - acknowledging a player's effort and input into the game over their whole career and it didn't particularly matter that this was not all at our club.  Culture change and dynasty building happens in a thousand different ways, not all of them significant or necessarily noticeable.  I think this might be one of those 'little' things that collectively do make for a quantum shift in atmosphere around, and culture at, a club.  After all, we are all discussing the reasons that Dustin Martin might want to stay at our club rather than go to GWS for more money - here is one of the little things that make our club more attractive to stay at.  Even in this modern corporate football world, do not underestimate the power and value of esprit de corp.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
Reading between the lines I think there is a little bit more to it than just Troy Simmonds farewell.  Hardwick mentioned on Monday night that it was more about what we wanted to stand for as a football club - acknowledging a player's effort and input into the game over their whole career and it didn't particularly matter that this was not all at our club.  Culture change and dynasty building happens in a thousand different ways, not all of them significant or necessarily noticeable.  I think this might be one of those 'little' things that collectively do make for a quantum shift in atmosphere around, and culture at, a club.  After all, we are all discussing the reasons that Dustin Martin might want to stay at our club rather than go to GWS for more money - here is one of the little things that make our club more attractive to stay at.  Even in this modern corporate football world, do not underestimate the power and value of esprit de corp.

Agree there Smokey :thumbsup
Can tell you first hand the sacking of Gaspar and Kellaway was a badly handled

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »

Agree there Smokey :thumbsup
Can tell you first hand the sacking of Gaspar and Kellaway was a badly handled
Given they both wanted to play on and Simmonds didn't, the situation is a little different

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Good call, esprit de corp, sounds a bit French Foreign Legion, (I hope they didn't use their punishment regimen though.....like licking the skiddies out of ya undies lol .... :P )
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »

Thats a great idea Monk.

Simmo has had a lengthy career and has been at Punt Rd longer than just 5 minutes. 6 years of which he'll seem like part of the furniture to most of our young list. Only Newy, Jacko, Tucky, Kel and Axel have been at Richmond longer and most of those only a year or so longer.

Lol 1 to many 0's.

I can understand the meaning of the game, have no problems with Troy having a farewell game, and our mistakes in the past with players being handled badly are hopefully behind us. This is evident of that. I just would have liked to have seen the farewell game happen when it suited the list most.

We've just had our first win and the whole group deserve to keep pushing to keep there spot and the players in the VFL performing well keep pushing for selection and take precedence. It is just 1 game but I would have rathered it in a week after an Essendon like performance where Troys inclusion would be warranted with some players dropping in form.

We say now that Polak will make way. What if he can't get back into the side? His career will be over at the expense of making way for a charity event. Where as if he stayed who knows how different his year would be. Someone like Post has been struggling for a long time lacking confidence and has a day out and rightly should be first picked to get back into the side. But now that wont be the case. Morton played well and would feel a bit cheated that he's performance now means nothing cause of Troys inclusion precedence.

My argument was that I find it hard for a 90 game player like Troy is taken precedence over our future albeit for one game. It would make sense to me if the guy had played 150+ games for the club.

Regardless hope we have a good game.  :gotigers

At the end of the day it's not a huge issue. It could have been done better that's all.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »

100% understand that I'm just slightly concerned its taken precedence to our direction thats all.
Go Tigers!

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

100% understand that I'm just slightly concerned its taken precedence to our direction thats all.

I think you are being told that it is at the core of the direction we want to take as a club.

:thumbsup

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »
I think Smokey's position is very well put

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 09:40:51 PM »

Thats a great idea Monk.

Lol 1 to many 0's.

I can understand the meaning of the game, have no problems with Troy having a farewell game, and our mistakes in the past with players being handled badly are hopefully behind us. This is evident of that. I just would have liked to have seen the farewell game happen when it suited the list most.

We've just had our first win and the whole group deserve to keep pushing to keep there spot and the players in the VFL performing well keep pushing for selection and take precedence. It is just 1 game but I would have rathered it in a week after an Essendon like performance where Troys inclusion would be warranted with some players dropping in form.

We say now that Polak will make way. What if he can't get back into the side? His career will be over at the expense of making way for a charity event. Where as if he stayed who knows how different his year would be. Someone like Post has been struggling for a long time lacking confidence and has a day out and rightly should be first picked to get back into the side. But now that wont be the case. Morton played well and would feel a bit cheated that he's performance now means nothing cause of Troys inclusion precedence.

My argument was that I find it hard for a 90 game player like Troy is taken precedence over our future albeit for one game. It would make sense to me if the guy had played 150+ games for the club.

Regardless hope we have a good game.  :gotigers

At the end of the day it's not a huge issue. It could have been done better that's all.
Morts will have to show more than one good game at Coburg to get back into the Richmond side. He's gone back to the VFL to work on the defensive side of his game. So the 4 goals will mean little if his defensive efforts were ordinary. Hopefully the defensive side of his game is improving as Hardwick said Morts is still part of his plans.

As for Polly, I don't believe he'll survive the chop this year whether he plays for Richmond or Coburg. Once Griffiths and another young KPP take a more permanent role then Polly won't be required.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »

I think you are being told that it is at the core of the direction we want to take as a club.

?

That makes no sense. Core of what?
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »

?

That makes no sense. Core of what?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Simmonds' send-off to lift Tigers (Age)
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
Simmonds' send-off to lift Tigers
SAM LIENERT
June 3, 2010 - 12:14PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says Friday night's match against St Kilda will mark an emotional AFL farewell for veteran ruckman Troy Simmonds.

The 31-year-old is retiring after what will be 197 matches with Melbourne, Fremantle and Richmond and Hardwick said the players were keen to send him off with victory.

"It's always an emotional occasion when a guy finishes up after close to 200 games," Hardwick said.

"Troy's very well regarded, very well respected in our footy club so hopefully he can go off with a win.

"He's in our leadership group, he's been terrific in my short time here, but he's very popular amongst our playing group, so we hope we give him the right result." Hardwick said the Tigers would enter the match with confidence, after last weekend's big win over Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium, their first of the season.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/simmonds-sendoff-to-lift-tigers-20100603-x1j6.html