Author Topic: Our first pick traded for Geelong's future first rounder [updated]  (Read 19039 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Our first pick traded for Geelong's future first rounder [updated]
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
 on another thread  people were shaking their heads at the logic in trading to geelong but now back flip.

To flippantly say the kids we liked were all gone by our pick and there was no one left worth taking is a nonsense. The only thing that will determine if we got it right by opting out is time.If we didnt rate any kids at that point the you have to ask did we do the work.

Unlike most blind rabid one eyed supporters i dont buy into the fact our recruiters are infallible or they dont get things wrong. I dont buy into the argument that all our players are stars and cant be upgraded on. What utter nonsense that sort of thinking is and that is exactly how people are coming across.

Personally think that we are entitled to have one more crack at a flag with our now ageing stars. But fmd  addressing real long term  needs is also a priority
Lastly i have never ever been a proponent of opting out of the first round of drafts.  opting out for Geelongs first pick next yr doesnt make sense.

If you dont question anything at all then of course everything is going to come across as good.There is always an opposite view to what is done and if you dont weigh both sides of the coin up then you end up with a skewered view.

It is simple did we do the right thing in trading out of the first round? was there still really good kids there worth taking? just be honest with yourselves and make your own minds up rather than leaning on oh i trust the club they never get anything wrong.

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
on another thread  people were shaking their heads at the logic in trading to geelong but now back flip.

To flippantly say the kids we liked were all gone by our pick and there was no one left worth taking is a nonsense. The only thing that will determine if we got it right by opting out is time.If we didnt rate any kids at that point the you have to ask did we do the work.

Unlike most blind rabid one eyed supporters i dont buy into the fact our recruiters are infallible or they dont get things wrong. I dont buy into the argument that all our players are stars and cant be upgraded on. What utter nonsense that sort of thinking is and that is exactly how people are coming across.

Personally think that we are entitled to have one more crack at a flag with our now ageing stars. But fmd  addressing real long term  needs is also a priority
Lastly i have never ever been a proponent of opting out of the first round of drafts.  opting out for Geelongs first pick next yr doesnt make sense.

If you dont question anything at all then of course everything is going to come across as good.There is always an opposite view to what is done and if you dont weigh both sides of the coin up then you end up with a skewered view.

It is simple did we do the right thing in trading out of the first round? was there still really good kids there worth taking? just be honest with yourselves and make your own minds up rather than leaning on oh i trust the club they never get anything wrong.

Makes all the sense in the world if you believe next years draft as better. Also, to my understanding next years draft is less compromised with only one like bid for Nick Daicos to Pies. Thus, even if Cats win the flag, we’d have pick 19 in a stronger draft.

Add to that the two picks in the second and two picks in the third give us ample assets to address long-term needs next season.

I see your point but if you believe keeping the pick would net you a B Grade player and next year you could get two A grade players (or even put you in a position to nab an A grade player by trading up) you’d do the trade unquestionably.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2020, 12:36:28 PM »
1st round picks are immune from the academy matching bids only f&s bids only next year. So Geelongs pick 15 (assuming they finish 4th) will be better than our pick 20 this year.

Speculating that Daicos is a top 10 pick then that will have no bearing on our picks.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »
Claw seems to have it all worked out guys. He clearly knows better than the administrators of a club that has won 3 of the last 4 flags....

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2020, 07:44:37 PM »
1st round picks are immune from the academy matching bids only f&s bids only next year. So Geelongs pick 15 (assuming they finish 4th) will be better than our pick 20 this year.

Very good point plus I think the NAB cup is U-19 and thus we will have an extra year of development and viewing.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2020, 08:32:10 AM »

Speculating that Daicos is a top 10 pick then that will have no bearing on our picks.

Can you please clarify how this works to me?

Does this mean we can bid on NGA kids and not get matched by clubs with lower picks? For example Crows could have taken JUH this year at #1?

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2020, 08:59:58 AM »

Does this mean we can bid on NGA kids and not get matched by clubs with lower picks? For example Crows could have taken JUH this year at #1?

correct, only in the 1st round though

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2020, 09:39:26 AM »
If you step back a look at the big picture, it actually makes no sense why people are STILL questioning our recruitment or FJ for that matter.
When he joined, there were ZERO resources being put into recruitment so he was largely a lone ranger compared to other clubs.
Then, he (they) had 2 new clubs come in and take half the decent picks.
So, what the recruitment team has delivered, both under and alongside FJ is a stunning success.

Anyone can pot a bad recruitment call - if i could be bothered i am certain Craws calls would make for interesting reading.

But it’s a collaboration between list management, player development and the coaching staff - the best in the competition and really any other analysis invites forest vs trees lack of vision
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »

correct, only in the 1st round though

Good because it seems we have SFA to look forward to anyway. May as well pinch from elsewhere.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »
Geelong won’t make the 8 next year, will be destroyed after the GF loss

Will go down as the best draft decision ever

Bookmark it

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2020, 10:02:45 PM »
A team has to slide. Geelong very well could be that team. I hope so anyway. I had huge wraps for Geelong and how awesome their style of play was but that all changed when Chris Scott took over

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
Geelong won’t make the 8 next year, will be destroyed after the GF loss

Will go down as the best draft decision ever

Bookmark it

20min quarters and a longer season should work against those geriatrics...

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »
That will make top 8 for sure .. hope I’m wrong though lol

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »
All clubs have regular howlers, check out Hawthorn 2005 and they had a very well resourced recruiting dept.

Pick 3 X. Ellis
pick 6 B. Dowler
pick 14 G. Birchall
pick 16 M. Bailey
Pick 22 B. Muston
pick 38 T. Tuck

For the record I believe that our trade with Geelong will be part of a regeneration of our list in 2021 to set us up for the years ahead.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2020, 10:02:30 AM »
I wonder if we did this because we think the younger Naish brother will be bid on late first round next year which would force us to use our first pick. By having two first rounders we could combine them to trade inside the top 10 to draft another top kid and use one of our second rounders to match a bid on Naish if it comes late first round.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd