Author Topic: Hardwicks 'mature' Tigers seemingly gone backwards? vs Dogs/Demon/Saints?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
For what reason has the sixth year list of Mr. hardwick - Seemingly stagnated or falling further down the pack, in comparison to the Lyon*, Beverage, Richardson led teams - sides with a flurry of young talent showing hope to the fans? What would be the best course of action, for Richmond FC to 'turn around the ship', and attain continual top four finshes, while the current talent drafted in around 2004-2006/7 remain at Punt Road?

What is your personal feelings on the matter?

Does anyone harbour a sense of jealousy seeing young, high draft picks dominating and punching above the rightful weight. In comparison to a mature, recycled and low ceiling group in yellow and black?

What is the problem and solution

:gotigers

edit: * Paul Roos

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Someone highlighted it in another thread, it was about three years into his tenure when the RFC went away from youth and instead invested in top ups thinking that they had the core to challenge for a premiership

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
Someone highlighted it in another thread, it was about three years into his tenure when the RFC went away from youth and instead invested in top ups thinking that they had the core to challenge for a premiership

One can forgive the regime for Grigg, Houli, Chaplin. Maybe Hampson. Coming back from 'worse than Fitzroy', it is understandable to a point. What is bizarre, in the eye of an amateur, is the continuation of games for these types. At the expense of others. And the strange apparent long term vision of it all / premiership window

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah there has clearly been a get hardened recycled middle of the road player mentality which is OK Sydney have done it to get premierships. But I think its been the detriment of putting games into younger players that now would be 60+ gamers and influencing games. I think they erred a bit too much in playing experienced older players who weren't going to be there when we challenged for top 4.

Saying that it is easy to see why they did it, the drafts were totally compromised  for years. It was the worst time in the history of AFL to rebuild. The worst, ever.
Still I would love another 100 game tall defender in our ranks at the moment.

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah there has clearly been a get hardened recycled middle of the road player mentality which is OK Sydney have done it to get premierships. But I think its been the detriment of putting games into younger players that now would be 60+ gamers and influencing games. I think they erred a bit too much in playing experienced older players who weren't going to be there when we challenged for top 4.

Saying that it is easy to see why they did it, the drafts were totally compromised  for years. It was the worst time in the history of AFL to rebuild. The worst, ever.

Sydney have more salary cap room than Richmond.

If Richmond is more advanced in the hardwick rebuild

why is there not the excitment around that is for

Dahlhaus   
Jackson Macrae   
Marcus Bontempelli   
Lin Jong   
Mitchell Wallis   
Michael Talia   
Easton Wood   
Nathan Hrovat
Jake Stringer

etc.

in the general afl community

tony_montana

Everyone bar some richmond supporters can see it

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame

what does your crystal ball say?

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

The one that we have is on $650k per year. The other wasn't even in the top 9 paid players. Join the dots.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah that's a f d up stat for sure.  There have been recruiting duds along the way and I don't think we recruit really well but its better than before under Wallace or Frawley.  Still many things are short of a Hawthorn or Sydney.  Maybe we basically need to cheat like Sydney or Essendon or Carlton. Or tank like Hawthorn or St Kilda?

Probably what we really really need is a great recruiting and list management department. An average one will only go so far.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame

Sydney have more salary cap room than Richmond.

If Richmond is more advanced in the hardwick rebuild

why is there not the excitment around that is for

Dahlhaus   
Jackson Macrae   
Marcus Bontempelli   
Lin Jong   
Mitchell Wallis   
Michael Talia   
Easton Wood   
Nathan Hrovat
Jake Stringer

etc.

in the general afl community
The dogs are in a honeymoon period with a new coach of a list developed by the previous coach. They are playing a hawthorn defensive rolling zone which is at the ball and 1 kick behind the play. Or they did against us. Once teams find their weak points in the zone they will pick it apart and it will be kick to opposition player X in the zone and we'll have a tall and a small around that point and then watch the zone roll back and we'll do it again. Forcing the dogs to reshuffle and their zone goes out the door.

Hawthorns rolling zone relies on an experienced very skillful kick being one kick or half a kick behind the play. When the ball spills forward the hawks players feed it to that player and that player distributes it back forward with a skillful kick. Used to be Crawford now its the dark haired head hunter I forget his name. The one who just got suspended.

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
congratulations to the young saints !!

was watching the score on the side of the screen, during the richmond game.

shocked to hear they won  :o

David Armitage
Jack Steven
Jack Billings
Shane Savage   
Tom Hickey   
Jack Lonie   
Josh Bruce

etc.

are they gone past us too?  :gotigers
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:21:14 PM by Zlatan »

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
are they gone past us too?  :gotigers

Let's face it, Tassie's team has gone past us and they won't even be in the comp until 2025 at best.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

tony_montana

what does your crystal ball say?

We're stuffed

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
well done to the Lions!