Author Topic: Tigers ditch Darwin  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Tigers ditch Darwin
« on: October 21, 2011, 02:28:07 AM »
Tigers ditch Darwin
Caroline Wilson
October 21, 2011

RICHMOND has placed football ahead of finances and foregone next season's contracted game in Darwin, having on-sold the game to Melbourne in a decision which will cost the club an estimated $500,000.

In a move certain to prove a big winner among the Tiger faithful - not to mention the football department - Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale confirmed yesterday the club had negotiated an exit agreement with the AFL upon learning the Demons harboured long-term plans for a presence in the Northern Territory.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"We entered into an agreement and had every intention of meeting our obligations,'' Gale told The Age. ''However, circumstances have changed and that has allowed us to bring this home game back to Melbourne."

Gale said the Tigers would continue to honour its obligations in Cairns - where the club is contract to host home games against the Gold Coast until 2013 - but that all other Richmond home games would be played in Melbourne.

While the Darwin deal was struck before Gale took over as CEO, he was criticised by supporters two months later when the Tigers lost its second sold home game in northern Australia to the fledgling Suns.

Gale denied the decision to abandon a home fixture in the Northern Territory was pushed by coach Damien Hardwick and his football department, insisting the cash-strapped club had received the AFL's blessing after receiving a multimillion-dollar boost from broadcast rights distributions. ''Damien and his team certainly don't blame the fixture for that loss,'' said Gale.

''Following discussions with the AFL, it became apparent that the Melbourne Football Club was interested in Darwin as a longer-term strategic play and … it made sense for them to take up this opportunity.

"The decision to play in Darwin was made in the best interests of the club … and there are some short-term financial implications. However, the support of the AFL through the Club Future Fund Distribution now provides us with the resources that we think will allow us to hit key commercial targets.''

The Darwin deal was a four-club agreement struck between the AFL and the Northern Territory government in 2009, which would feature six games played over three years involving Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and Richmond, with each hosting two games and Port Adelaide, at least until the end of 2011, earning money as the away team.

Melbourne has already hosted its two games but will replace the Tigers in 2012, with the Bulldogs sticking to their commitment.

AFL executive Simon Lethlean said the deal with Darwin was in place until 2014, but that the home clubs had not been negotiated beyond next season. ''Melbourne has made its presence felt in the Northern Territory community and done some good work there and the club is keen to continue that, so we were happy to make the change,'' said Lethlean, who added that Port Adelaide could forgo one of next year's two ''away'' spots at TIO Stadium in place of the Gold Coast Suns.

With the Tigers now only playing one ''away'' home game in Cairns, Gale has lobbied hard for the club to host nine of its remaining 10 home games at the MCG. Lethlean said the AFL had guaranteed the Tigers a minimum of eight MCG games with at least one at Etihad.

With the club also guaranteed the Thursday night MCG Melbourne season-opener against Carlton, the Tigers have achieved a number of coups. Gale said the Fighting Tiger Fund would continue to raise funds for football and eliminate the club's multimillion-dollar debt over the next 12 months.

The outstanding broadcast rights deal achieved by the AFL in May has proved a considerable boost to Richmond, which proved a financial winner in the equalisation distributions, with the club awarded an additional $4.7 million above the $3.25 million awarded as a base dividend to all clubs.

''It won't happen overnight,'' said Gale, ''but if our increased investment in football delivers improved performance on-field, we will be able to capitalise and build the financial muscle of this club. "We felt it would be better for the club to concentrate on one interstate market, which will be Cairns for the next two years."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1bKVQPQjg
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 06:06:34 AM by one-eyed »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers ditch Darwin
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:55:49 AM »
This will please a few people here.

Knowing the AFL, they will probably now make us play Port at Etihad so we won't get to play at our true home ground anyway  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:24:19 AM »
ps. Onya daniel with the scoop about this on OER  :thumbsup.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:09:26 AM »
great news

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »

Yep, fantastic news. Now we just have to consign our "home" games at Cairns to the garbage can of history, and we'll be right.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
If you see kay!!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »

Knowing the AFL, they will probably now make us play Port at Etihad so we won't get to play at our true home ground anyway  ::).

I don't mind this. Don't we need like 30,000 to break even to play at the G? Pretty easy to achieve if we're on a roll... But hey, anything can happen  ;D at least we'll still have the local crowd at Etihad and we don't have to worry about traveling and climate conditioning... And busted lights.

gerkin greg

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
and Al throwing cans

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »
That effort last year was the biggest joke of a Game/Venue ive ever seen.

I was so embarrassed i dragged my pregnant wife to that debacle. I can handle a loss but that E grade venue was rubbish

Gale/Dimma good work.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
Tigers come home
richmondfc.com.au
Fri 21 Oct, 2011

Gale said that following discussions with the AFL, it became apparent that Melbourne Football Club was interested in Darwin as a long-term strategic plan and, as such, it made sense for them to take up this opportunity.

“Given the AFL’s support for the change, we felt it would be better for the Club to concentrate on one interstate market, which will be Cairns for the next two years,” Gale said.

“There are some short-term financial implications, however, the support of the AFL through the recently established Club Future Fund Distribution now provides us with the resources that we believe will allow us to hit key commercial targets in the coming years.

“If our increased investment in football delivers improved performance on-field, we will be able to capitalise and build the financial muscle of the Club.”

Read full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/125368/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
As much as I'm glad we'll be playing our home game back in Melbourne, the club will have to use the additional AFL funds to recoup now $500k from this (minus what we make from the game in Melb. next year) plus about $300k from not having the Royal Oak revenue anymore.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:55:33 PM »
Very happy with this decision although was looking forward to heading up to Darwin in 2012. was going ot make a decent trip of it this time round

But I must say I am very surprised at the same time, cannot beleive the AFL let us out of it  ;D

As for Cairns, pretty clear the Club intends to honour that contract = 2 more years

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
Seems like a few on demonland aren't to thrilled with there club picking up this game.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »
Seems like a few on demonland aren't to thrilled with there club picking up this game.

When have they found the time to leave the ski lodge. Maybe the range rovers have gone in for some servicing. Who knows. I need to drink more beer. ;D

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
Very happy with this decision although was looking forward to heading up to Darwin in 2012. was going ot make a decent trip of it this time round

But I must say I am very surprised at the same time, cannot beleive the AFL let us out of it  ;D

As for Cairns, pretty clear the Club intends to honour that contract = 2 more years

You can look forward to Cairns instead, WP, although only if our players learn to play on a ground where the trade winds blow straight down the ground for a six goal with-the-wind-advantage.  You don't get anything like that at the G or Ethihad.

The boys should be out a Craigieburn training when there is a good Melbourne northerly wind blowing.