Author Topic: Richmond’s young list can catapult Tigers to a finals win: Astbury ..... (H-Sun)  (Read 1460 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond’s young list can catapult Tigers to a finals win, says defender David Astbury

Sam Landsberger
Herald-Sun
December 19, 2014 1:52PM

RICHMOND defender David Astbury says the Tigers already have the talent to win the club’s first final since 2001 after an inactive trade and free agency period.

The injury-cursed tall said on Friday the middle chunk of Richmond’s list was ready to catapult the Tigers past the first week of September as their pre-Christmas training block came to a close.

Richmond was one of only three clubs — along with Fremantle and West Coast — to not strike a deal in October, but the Tigers did put feelers out for Jason Winderlich, David Armitage and Jack Trengove before grabbing tagger Taylor Hunt from Geelong’s scrapheap.

And Astbury — who missed the final 15 games this year with a dislocated left kneecap — says he has total confidence in his body despite suffering the same injury to his right knee three years ago.

The 23-year-old, who has also battled foot and hamstring blows in his 37-game career, was in career-best form when the injury struck, sitting second in the Tigers’ best-and-fairest count.

“To miss out on playing in another final was really disappointing for me, but we’re looking at embarking on another finals series … so hopefully I get another opportunity,” Astbury said.

“I feel every bit as good as I did pre-surgery. My rehab progression was absolutely flawless and that set me up to have a big pre-season, and so far that’s been very good also.”

Astbury played the final VFL game of 2014 as a confidence-booster and anointed players entering their fourth to seventh seasons as the group capable of breaking Richmond’s finals duck.

Astbury is one of 12 Tigers drafted in that window who are still on the list, while coach Damien Hardwick has also added Hunt and Anthony Miles (GWS).

“We’re looking to start the season the way we sort of finished it (with) those last nine weeks of the home-and-away season and really build on that momentum,” Astbury said.

“We really don’t want to have to win nine straight to get a finals berth, we’re really looking to make sure we start the season towards the upper end of the ladder and just build from there.

“We’re sort of relying on natural progression and we had a clear strategy to go to the draft and bring some youth through.

“We’ve got a really solid base of players between the four and seven years (in the system) who definitely have a lot more improvement.

“We started to see that towards the back end of the year with guys like Ben Griffiths, Jake Batchelor, Dylan Grimes — these sort of guys are the guys that are going to take the next step and hopefully drive us into September.”

No.12 draft pick Corey Ellis had surgery on his foot on Friday but is expected to return to full training early in 2015, while Chris Newman (groin), Sam Lloyd (ankle) and Matt Thomas (knee) are also in rehab.

Astbury said the Tigers had simplified their pre-season program and he had already noticed improvement.

4-7 YEAR TIGERS

2008 DRAFT

Tyrone Vickery (pick 8 )

2009 DRAFT

Dustin Martin (pick 3)

Ben Griffiths (pick 19)

David Astbury (pick 35)

Matt Dea (pick 44)

2010 DRAFT

Reece Conca (pick 6)

Jake Batchelor (pick 30)

Dylan Grimes (pre-season draft)

2011 DRAFT

Brandon Ellis (pick 15)

Todd Elton (pick 26)

Matt Arnot (pick 55)

Bachar Houli (pre-season draft)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-young-list-can-catapult-tigers-to-a-finals-win-says-defender-david-astbury/story-fndv8t7m-1227161826308

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Lock it in

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
lmao. why do they even bother with these stupid stories.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

For the same reason that you bother with your stupid posts?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

That doesn't even make sense mate.

Claw is right, these articles are complete bollocks and do they really think people will sign up on the back of it

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Cause they still have to fill columns and Richmond moves papers and gets web hits.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Cause they still have to fill columns and Richmond moves papers and gets web hits.

Very underrated post :shh

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yeah that's what it is

Please wake up u lot

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Yeah that's what it is

Please wake up u lot

:lol Awwwwwee, Daniel has his period again.
I bet you the kind of guy that doesn't leave out milk and cookies for Santa either.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Wake up and smell the coffee son

Eat cookies after

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
That's a Herald Sun article, not the club generated pap.

H.S wants to keep footy bubbling and clubs have to provide access to players under the media rights agreement.

No choice in this one.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Well why you guys are bickering I have freed my calendar for all of September, because it is a happening thing

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

That doesn't even make sense mate.

Claw is right, these articles are complete bollocks and do they really think people will sign up on the back of it

It makes perfect sense - in fact the subsequent posts only enhance it
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

dwaino

I actually cancelled my membership just to re-sign after reading this.