Author Topic: Chris Yarran [merged]  (Read 577359 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Yarran requests trade to Richmond [update]
« Reply #420 on: August 21, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
I am not sure why the RFC continue to recruit these fringe type of players rather than throw the bank at a star or a potential star the likes of Treloar and move heaven and earth to get them. Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton, Brisbane...the list goes on, they all do it.

We pick up serviceable players like Houli, Grigg...well thats it.

The RFC came out earlier this year, in particular Brendon Gale saying that we have been preparing our cap for this trade/FA period. Clearing it for who, Yarren...REALLY??????

Motlop, Dangerfield or Treloar to the club or FAIL!!

You want to follow the example of Collingwood, Carlton and Brisbane?? None are playing finals. Collingwood has lost the equivilant of Deledio, Edwards and Martin in the last three years- they have silly amounts of money.

We have picked up Chaplin, Houli, Grigg & Maric. All best 22 players. I get that they aren't stars, but they have made us a better team.

We haven't lost a single star, because they have bought in on the whole being greater than the self.

Name a club that has thrown the bank at someone and won a premiership in the modern era?!

We have been linked to a number of players, the general feel is that they are trying very very hard to attract these guys and not pay overs. Like Hawthorn have done. I imagine we can get some like Treloar- pay him a million dollars a year. What happens when Ellis, Vlastuin Miles start looking for money?

We need sustained success, not this "get one player and we will be a contender" mantra.

Also give the club some credit- Rebuilt the list in perhaps the most difficult era. We are about to play our third finals series in row.

Ok, they attract star players, that is what I meant, get with the program. When they see a player that is a star and they want them, they get them. That's what I meant. We don't do that.

"We have picked up Chaplin, Houli, Grigg & Maric. All best 22 players" And that sums it up for me.

Those clubs aren't any more attractive than us, they are just willing to pay more. To me that is more concerning than not getting players. I'm not sure how old you are but the modern game doesn't allow for stupidly overpaying for people. You lose to much @ the bottom end.

For those four players we gave up a total Andy Collins (delisted) and a second round draft pick. I think a lot of people under sell what the club managed to achieve.

Everyone ridiculed the club for not being active last year, but the draftees coming through look really good.

They obviously are more attractive because that is where the best are going, its not always about the money. I'm old enough to know the mistakes and missed opportunities we have had over the past 30 years.

We also gave up pick 19 for Sanchez a while ago to, remember that.

Its not the draftees I m talking about, its the FA and trade players we need.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #421 on: August 21, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
I am not sure why the RFC continue to recruit these fringe type of players rather than throw the bank at a star or a potential star the likes of Treloar and move heaven and earth to get them. Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton, Brisbane...the list goes on, they all do it.

The RFC came out earlier this year, in particular Brendon Gale saying that we have been preparing our cap for this trade/FA period. Clearing it for who, Yarren...REALLY??????

You want to follow the example of Collingwood, Carlton and Brisbane?? None are playing finals. Collingwood has lost the equivilant of Deledio, Edwards and Martin in the last three years- they have silly amounts of money.

We have picked up Chaplin, Houli, Grigg & Maric. All best 22 players. I get that they aren't stars, but they have made us a better team.

We haven't lost a single star, because they have bought in on the whole being greater than the self.

Name a club that has thrown the bank at someone and won a premiership in the modern era?!

We have been linked to a number of players, the general feel is that they are trying very very hard to attract these guys and not pay overs. Like Hawthorn have done. I imagine we can get some like Treloar- pay him a million dollars a year. What happens when Ellis, Vlastuin Miles start looking for money?

We need sustained success, not this "get one player and we will be a contender" mantra.

Also give the club some credit- Rebuilt the list in perhaps the most difficult era. We are about to play our third finals series in row.

Ok, they attract star players, that is what I meant, get with the program. When they see a player that is a star and they want them, they get them. That's what I meant. We don't do that.

"We have picked up Chaplin, Houli, Grigg & Maric. All best 22 players" And that sums it up for me.

Those clubs aren't any more attractive than us, they are just willing to pay more. To me that is more concerning than not getting players. I'm not sure how old you are but the modern game doesn't allow for stupidly overpaying for people. You lose to much @ the bottom end.

For those four players we gave up a total Andy Collins (delisted) and a second round draft pick. I think a lot of people under sell what the club managed to achieve.

Everyone ridiculed the club for not being active last year, but the draftees coming through look really good.

They obviously are more attractive because that is where the best are going, its not always about the money. I'm old enough to know the mistakes and missed opportunities we have had over the past 30 years.

We also gave up pick 19 for Sanchez a while ago to, remember that.

Its not the draftees I m talking about, its the FA and trade players we need.
There are only three reasons a player in this day and age move clubs and that's for either family, Money or Success. On the success side of things well I completely understand why no one has come across for this reason! On the money side of things we've been saying now for a couple of seasons we have a war chest for a big fish but in all honesty what "Big Fish" has there been?
On the free agency side of things there has only realy been Frawley and Greenwood.
Frawley took the best of both worlds taking a good lump sum and went to a successful club while Greenwood was just in it for the money. We did put an offer to Greenwood but it Collingwood out trumped us, after the season he's had it looks like it was a win to us anyway.
This year we have Dangerfield and Trelour, Dangerfield looks set to head to Geelong for family reasons in saying that I do believe we had a fair crack, if  for what ever reason he decides to change his mind we will be up to our necks in it.
The other player is Trelour whom we have made fairly public that were right into, has he chosen a side yet? Nothing is conccreat our offer is out there and it's up there with Collingwoods, I think this deal will realy come down to which club can satisfy GWS the most with the trade.
Then you have your second tier trades, Yarran, Motlop, Henderson, Carlisle.
Yarran just wants out, I think he would walk to us tomorrow if he could, the problem will be what carlton want in return and there should be no way in the world that we would consider our first round pick for him.
Motlop is an interesting one, does he realy want to leave or is he just trying to score himself a better contract where he is?? If he wants to go it will be for money and I believe we would be in the box seat here, he would cost us our first round pick though and again I'm not 100% certain he's worth it.
The other two bafoons are chasing cash, Gerlong want Henderson and he wants to go there, I have no issue in not pursuing him. Carlisle on the other hand seems to just want out.
I find it interesting he wants out of Essendon but wants to go to Carlton?
Either Carlton has tabled a huge offer or the guy has rocks in his head! It's ceryainly a trade to watch closely imo.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #422 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »

:clapping

I don't agree with everything Hartley and Co. have done but throwing ridiculous amounts of money at FA isn't the path to success.

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #423 on: August 21, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »
What are people's thoughts on Jack Redden? Appears to be keen to leave Brisbane so we could hopefully get him cheap. I've always liked him and i think that his pressure/ inside mid game is something we really need.

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #424 on: August 21, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
What are people's thoughts on Jack Redden? Appears to be keen to leave Brisbane so we could hopefully get him cheap. I've always liked him and i think that his pressure/ inside mid game is something we really need.

I have never thought of him as an overly damaging player. Having said that, he brings some grunt to the table. We have some offensive weapons to surround him with. Still young, 24.

Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #425 on: August 21, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
There are only three reasons a player in this day and age move clubs and that's for either family, Money or Success. On the success side of things well I completely understand why no one has come across for this reason! On the money side of things we've been saying now for a couple of seasons we have a war chest for a big fish but in all honesty what "Big Fish" has there been?
On the free agency side of things there has only realy been Frawley and Greenwood.
Frawley took the best of both worlds taking a good lump sum and went to a successful club while Greenwood was just in it for the money. We did put an offer to Greenwood but it Collingwood out trumped us, after the season he's had it looks like it was a win to us anyway.
This year we have Dangerfield and Trelour, Dangerfield looks set to head to Geelong for family reasons in saying that I do believe we had a fair crack, if  for what ever reason he decides to change his mind we will be up to our necks in it.
The other player is Trelour whom we have made fairly public that were right into, has he chosen a side yet? Nothing is conccreat our offer is out there and it's up there with Collingwoods, I think this deal will realy come down to which club can satisfy GWS the most with the trade.
Then you have your second tier trades, Yarran, Motlop, Henderson, Carlisle.
Yarran just wants out, I think he would walk to us tomorrow if he could, the problem will be what carlton want in return and there should be no way in the world that we would consider our first round pick for him.
Motlop is an interesting one, does he realy want to leave or is he just trying to score himself a better contract where he is?? If he wants to go it will be for money and I believe we would be in the box seat here, he would cost us our first round pick though and again I'm not 100% certain he's worth it.
The other two bafoons are chasing cash, Gerlong want Henderson and he wants to go there, I have no issue in not pursuing him. Carlisle on the other hand seems to just want out.
I find it interesting he wants out of Essendon but wants to go to Carlton?
Either Carlton has tabled a huge offer or the guy has rocks in his head! It's ceryainly a trade to watch closely imo.

great post

Agree with most of it, especially the bit about Motlop. Not sure he's worth our first round pick. I'm always a little apprehensive when you take a player out of the really good side. Is he is actually as good as he appears in that side. Geelong are no longer the side they were and this has shown that someof their 2nd tier blokes aren't as good as what people thought. Concerned Motlop maybe one of those types

Would just add that Carlton want Yarran gone as much I reckon he wants out
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #426 on: August 21, 2015, 01:24:29 PM »

I have never thought of him as an overly damaging player. Having said that, he brings some grunt to the table. We have some offensive weapons to surround him with. Still young, 24.

Yeah he's not going to tear a game apart but like Miles put him in a decent midfield and he will go in and do the hard stuff and get the ball out to the likes of Martin, Lids etc. Would also be our be our most prolific tackler if given decent time in the guts.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #427 on: August 21, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »
The nature of player relations and their relationship with clubs has changed drastically since the incorporation of the newer clubs and the introduction of Free Agency. However, there's a cultural shift that may take decades to catch up with the fiscal side to it, which is to say players wanting to be compensated with market determinants and the notion of the (now antiquated) club loyalties.

Is it fair to judge a player for wanting maximum compensation, and expecting them to take unders for the sake of club loyalty? Fact is, most players ultimately want premiership success and this directly conflicts with wanting reasonable and fair wages. If every player gets their market value, teams can't hold onto premiership winning lists. I'd say a majority of the players on Hawthorn and Sydneys lists are getting paid unders.

As this pertains to the current players available, you have to pay overs to get a player to come across from another side. In all honesty there must be a significant minority of players who arn't totally happy with their clubs but unless they're offered big pay packets or a genuine shot at a flag before they're too old; can't really justify shifting teams. That's why the Henderson and Carlisle statements are so significant. They just want out, plain and simple, and this goes against 100 years of the previous norms. I'm sure there are historically plenty of examples of this, but I'd say they're anomalies that prove the culture of club loyalty.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #428 on: August 21, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »

couldn't have said it better myself

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #429 on: August 21, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »

agreed. this is why id be happier with motlop and yarren on reasonable money rather than just treloar on 650k plus a year.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #430 on: August 21, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »
Very underrated player. Would love him at Richmond but can't see him coming cheap.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #431 on: August 21, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »

agreed. this is why id be happier with motlop and yarren on reasonable money rather than just treloar on 650k plus a year.

Motlop apparently wants the $$$ you just mentioned 6/70k that's why it's a no from me.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #432 on: August 21, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »

Lake, Gunston, Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, McEvoy, O'Rourke, Anderson. Frawlery

Gunston a grade
burgoyne a grade
orourke pick 2
mcevoy highly rated etc 

hawthorn bought in a number of guns

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #433 on: August 21, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »

Gunston a grade
burgoyne a grade
orourke pick 2
mcevoy highly rated etc

Not sure they were "guns" when brought in. Gibson and Hale were mediocre players at North. O'Rourke has shown nothing and Frawley is overrated/ paid. Lake and Burgoyne were thought to be past their prime and Gunston was a promising type when brought in.

They've got the most out of these blokes but that's as much to do with their system and culture as it does the raw talent of players brought in.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #434 on: August 21, 2015, 07:13:42 PM »

Gunston a grade
burgoyne a grade
orourke pick 2
mcevoy highly rated etc 

Exactly!!!!!!! Look at what they got in return...... So far.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"