Author Topic: Vickery agrees to terms with Hawks / We get pick 26 as compo [update]  (Read 53874 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Vickery agrees to terms with Hawks [update]
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
Exactly. He has been poo for us. Why retain him or even expect an unusually good compensation pick when he's been poo? Take what we can (25-37) and pick up a good youngster. So what if he becomes the next John Coleman at the hawks? He's not going to be that at Richmond. We need to improve our side and not worry about other sides. Him staying won't improve us too.

:clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »
Tm, not fearful. Expect and wish him to do well at a proper club.

It's that I think 37 is closer to getting bent over than what it is to fair.

More so given the current market where I expect a freo would kill for a Vickery type
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2016, 06:22:23 PM »
Tm, not fearful. Expect and wish him to do well at a proper club.

It's that I think 37 is closer to getting bent over than what it is to fair.

More so given the current market where I expect a freo would kill for a Vickery type
He is a RFA. He doesn't go where he doesn't want to go.

FFS, the guy was too lazy to run from full forward to the centre. Do you think he'd agree to cross the country to WA?

In the end, take the best we can and seek other pastures....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
We still talking about Vickery or Griffiths y&b

#justsaying
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »
We still talking about Vickery or Griffiths y&b

#justsaying
Vickery.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »
Point of reference for the "take it an run" mentality.

Looked over the previous 10 drafts for forwards/big men that were picked after pick 25.

The following players I would consider better/have more currency than Vickery:

Jack Gunston (29th Pick)
Kurt Tippet (32nd Pick)
Todd Goldstein (37th Pick)
Tim Membrey (midsized forward) (pick 46, 2012)

Sam Reid (pick 38) and Chris Dawes (pick 28) were also of note, I would consider as having currency.

Other players of note:
Hawkins (FS at pick 41), Taylor Walker (NSWCP at pick 70ish),

Jack Darling (did not include in list above as he was hidden from draft by WCE, picked at 26)

That's every single forward/big man from every draft for the previous 10 years that has been taken after pick 25.

By that measure, his value is at the VERY LEAST pick 25.

tony_montana

« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2016, 09:07:50 PM »
and theres a very real possibility that we'll get pick 25ish. He was in top 25% paid players at richmond and now hes being paid 500k per season, very strong chance its a second rounder (but never say never with the afl)

btw dougey, every single one of those guys is heaps better player than Vickery and justifiably are worth more than what he is at the trade table - yes even dawes

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2016, 09:08:56 PM »

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
and theres a very real possibility that we'll get pick 25ish. He was in top 25% paid players at richmond and now hes being paid 500k per season, very strong chance its a second rounder (but never say never with the afl)

btw dougey, every single one of those guys is heaps better player than Vickery and justifiably are worth more than what he is at the trade table - yes even dawes

Have to disagree with Dawes there mate  :rollin. I think Dawes might even be on the trade table this year.

My point was exactly that though. Only 4  big forward players have been taken after pick 25 that I would consider better/more accomplished from 10 years of drafts. Just 4 in 10 years!

To qualify my position, I'm reasonably happy with the 25 for Vickery, just think we've convinced ourselves he's rubbish when he actually has currency.

tony_montana

« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2016, 09:29:19 PM »
Dawes is a very smart fwd - underrated imo, unfortunately for him just hasnt been able to get his body right for a few years now, but ill concede given that its been several years since he put a full season together, his value is probably shot.

I see what you're saying mate, but we dont need to use that pick to draft a tall, plenty of good mids going in the 20's and 30's. Currency or not, we wouldnt get a top 20 pick for him on any given day, 25 is a decent return for the 4-5 possession a game player he has become this year. 37 may be a bit rough on us, but meh Im so over our club atm that really whether we get pick 25 or 37 its not like its going to make or break our tilt at a flag lol

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »
Dawes gives a neat little handpass out the back sans Pia.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »
Tyrone Vickery Hawthorn, AFL Trade news rumours 2016: Free agent will leave Richmond

Jake Niall
Foxsports
9 October 2016

RICHMOND will not match Hawthorn’s two-year offer to Tyrone Vickery, with the Tigers set to receive more than adequate compensation.

Vickery has accepted a two-year offer worth around $1 million - higher than expected - which means the Tigers should receive a decent draft pick for him.

Industry sources suggested that on the basis of the $500,000 per year deal Richmond would likely receive either a second-round pick (currently no. 26) or end of second round (currently 38).

The Tigers had threatened to match the Hawthorn offer if it did not bring a satisfactory draft pick.

But Hawthorn’s offer has turned out to be significant, clearing the way for Richmond to proceed without forcing Hawthorn into a trade.

Vickery is a restricted free agent which means he has been paid in the top 25 per cent at Richmond even though he fell out of favour with the selectors during 2016.

He would have been paid an estimated $400,000 per year at Richmond but his dip in form might have resulted in him being offered less money.

While the Hawks have paid heavily for Vickery in dollar terms, securing him without a trade means they can pursue their main objectives of Jaeger O’Meara and Sydney’s Tom Mitchell.

The Hawks see Vickery as a replacement for forward ruck David Hale who retired at the end of 2015 and hasn’t been replaced in their structure.

Vickery, 26, has played 119 games for 158 goals after he was drafted at picked no. 8 in the 2008 draft.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ty-vickery-to-join-hawthorn-richmond-wont-match-bid-for-free-agent/news-story/4a12c636d8869161d3988bb0f8948c09?from=public_rss

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
That's nice dear

Vickery played ruck too.

You continue to focus on last season instead of wanting to view the career as a whole.

A pick one in the same draft pool should be worth more and yet he's marginally better.

The original discussion is in regard to vickery a worth not jack watts

I'll sum up in this format it might help you:

- Stanley is rubbish ; worth pick 19
 - watts is rubbish ; worth pick ?
 - Vickery is rubbish : worth pick ?

I dislike Tyrone and his father as much as anyone else. However the job of the full forward I to poach goals.

Richmond will mess this up like everything else morons

I'll sum it up for you

1. Jack Watts kicked more goals than Vickery and it's stuffing funny, no matter how you spin it
2. Franklin is a gun = pick 19
    Waite better than Vickery = no compensation
    Dal santo = pick 25

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2016, 09:48:23 PM »
That's nice dear

Vickery played ruck too.

You continue to focus on last season instead of wanting to view the career as a whole.

A pick one in the same draft pool should be worth more and yet he's marginally better.

The original discussion is in regard to vickery a worth not jack watts

I'll sum up in this format it might help you:

- Stanley is rubbish ; worth pick 19
 - watts is rubbish ; worth pick ?
 - Vickery is rubbish : worth pick ?

I dislike Tyrone and his father as much as anyone else. However the job of the full forward I to poach goals.

Richmond will mess this up like everything else morons

I'll sum it up for you

1. Jack Watts kicked more goals than Vickery and it's stuffing funny, no matter how you spin it
2. Franklin is a gun = pick 19
    Waite better than Vickery = no compensation
    Dal santo = pick 25

Again, I'm totally confused by your angle. Why did you decide to compare Watts to Vickery? Watts was chosen ahead of Vickery and so should be performing better. Or is your point that Watts was a dud #1 pick?

If so you'd be a hypocrite if you potted any draft choices Richmond made who were outperformed by subsequent draft picks. (et. al Tambing/Franklin, Conca/Caddy, Heppell, Prestia)

So again, why Watts?