Author Topic: Bulking up  (Read 814 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Bulking up
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:38:22 AM »
I forgot to mention while we were talking to the Club's fitness coordinator that the topic of why we lack size came up. One bloke there watching that I know who I sat with asked the fitness coordinator why are our young guys still skinny. The fitness coordinator jumped to the defence. He replied "Don't you think they have bulked up? There's been a gallon of protein being drunk back there (in the rooms). The first year players have added 4-6 kgs and the second year guys 4 kgs. Luke McGuane has added 8kgs since he's arrived at Punt Rd and it will take 3-5 years for someone like Shane Edwards to add the necessary bulk to his 68kgs.

There's always that question on here about our lack of size.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Bulking up
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
I forgot to mention while we were talking to the Club's fitness coordinator that the topic of why we lack size came up. One bloke there watching that I know who I sat with asked the fitness coordinator why are our young guys still skinny. The fitness coordinator jumped to the defence. He replied "Don't you think they have bulked up? There's been a gallon of protein being drunk back there (in the rooms). The first year players have added 4-6 kgs and the second year guys 4 kgs. Luke McGuane has added 8kgs since he's arrived at Punt Rd and it will take 3-5 years for someone like Shane Edwards to add the necessary bulk to his 68kgs.

There's always that question on here about our lack of size.
And that is why you have to have patience.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »
He asked the wrong person. The fitness coordinator can only work with what he's given. McGuane and Thursty are never going to be massive key defenders like say Polak is. Those questions are for the coach and recruiting manager as deep down he really wanted to know why we would recruit such light kids knowing they would take 5 years to physically develop. He questioned if the Club was self-fulfilling its own 2011 prophecy by doing this instead of recruiting kids with size.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:27:01 PM »
Atm I'm more interested in Edwards having a haircut than gaining weight as his mop is blocking his peripheral vision explaining why he is getting run down so often from behind.
I think he will always be on the light side but that makes him more agile and speedy. He'll never be a "bust though the middle" type, he'll be more of a zip zip "catch me if you can" type.
We don't need a whole team of Mickey Conlons.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:13:23 PM »
He asked the wrong person. The fitness coordinator can only work with what he's given. McGuane and Thursty are never going to be massive key defenders like say Polak is. Those questions are for the coach and recruiting manager as deep down he really wanted to know why we would recruit such light kids knowing they would take 5 years to physically develop. He questioned if the Club was self-fulfilling its own 2011 prophecy by doing this instead of recruiting kids with size.

It is just another problem caused by the bad recruiting over the last 6/8 years. Using Edwards as an example we have a quality footballer. I for one don't care that it will take him a little longer to bulk up. He is already good enough to contribute and will only get better. In 5 years time when we are recruiting skinny quality kids they will have time to develop at Coburg instead being rushed into the seniors as Edwards and the rest will be in full flight.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:35:15 PM »
I hope Edwards conditions himself to avoid injury,  although the way he goes in for it who knows what could happen. As a wingman he should be more of a 'receiver' and I don't mean that in a negative sense, just that he can receive in tight and get us out of trouble with his speed. I agree about the Micky Conlans, pace is so important.

On McGuane he is building up nicely for the back pocket role these days. But again you don't want him getting too big, he is not going to be a Presti type , with the push in the back rule now, he needs to stay quite flexible to be able to get a piece of it when it comes down. 
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine