Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 39894 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]
« Reply #750 on: August 30, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »
What more do you people want?

To come away with 0 wins just so we get pick 1.

Unbelievable.

I am actually glad Mebourne lost. I don't have the confidence in the RFC recruiting to get the Butcher/Trengrove choice correct, which if Melbourne won we would have been forced to choose. At least this way Melbourne wil chose either Butcher or Trengrove with there 2nd pick and we'll have the later. I'm happier that way instead of choosing either kid and having the media swallow us whole when the other starts better next year.
Go Tigers!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #751 on: August 30, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »

I do not want to almost lose to the last team twice this year - once early when it mattered.

And not get top 2 pick. Or another late first rounder.

Rubbish.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #752 on: August 30, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »
Dees are teasing us. 11 points up midway through the 2nd qtr.

Even a draw would do. Go dees
Saints woke up late in that 2nd quarter and hit the front. Margin now 18 and growing. Melbourne doesn't want to win even if they could and no matter how badly St Kilda plays today. Pick 3 is ours. One Jordie shot for goal from first pick  :-\.

If Jordie missed that goal, the Dees would have thrown the Freo match two weeks later.

:banghead
Possibly but the way Freo played that day and on the road all year it would've been hard. It's just a massive advantage Melbourne are getting.

We can blame Jordy all we like, the genesis of all this is Miller and the Dried Sultana. The absence of any one of these three people in the last 2 years of history of the RFC would have seen Melbourne miss the priority pick and us getting it this year.
The Jordie comment was a throw away line. It's not his fault. In any case we can blame Wallace and Miller for many things but Miller was sacked in round 16 last year yet we still made the same stupid trade decisions in the post-season. Wallace was sacked after round 10 this year when we only had 2 wins on the board yet we ended up with 5.5 wins that cost us a priority pick. The direction and forward planning of the club comes also from higher up the chain. Melbourne didn't having a problem maufacturing just 4 wins. Schwarz was laughing all through the game today while commentating about what Melbourne was doing to tank. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #753 on: August 30, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »

To come away with 0 wins just so we get pick 1.

Unbelievable.

I am actually glad Mebourne lost. I don't have the confidence in the RFC recruiting to get the Butcher/Trengrove choice correct, which if Melbourne won we would have been forced to choose. At least this way Melbourne wil chose either Butcher or Trengrove with there 2nd pick and we'll have the later. I'm happier that way instead of choosing either kid and having the media swallow us whole when the other starts better next year.
What happens if Melbourne spring a surprise a draft Scully and Morabito 1 & 2. Then we'll have to choose.

If we have no confidence in the RFC recruiting staff then you would get rid of them rather than hoping another club makes the choice for us. It's bad enough we have a onfield team that doesn't back itself. The last thing we need is those off-field not backing their ability to make the right decisions.

It's the way we've played (poor coaching) and the poor list we have that makes us the worst team in the comp. It's no coincidence our percentage has ended up the lowest in the AFL. Apart from the good win over Essendon, the rest were meaningless narrow wins and a draw against fellow bottom sides including one that was deliberately throwing the game. If we are wanting to rebuild and do it properly then you need to take advantage of the assistance offered by the AFL. We've been rubbish for the last 8 years and yet we've got just one player from a pre-frist round priority pick (Blingers). Make that two PPs including post-round 1 with Rance although we threw that away trading pick 19 away for McMahon. We've finish 15th and get nothing from it  :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #754 on: August 30, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
What happens if they go to draft camp where they do the growth testing and find that Morabito could get to say 194cm?

What happens then?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #755 on: August 31, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »
I've heard some people say he is like Pavlich though I have no idea of the height comparisons or ability over head etc. Apparently he is a great midfielder who can go forward but is that what we really need, another 'utility'?

Stripes

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #756 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:39 AM »
Gambling watchdog wants please explain from AFL on tanking

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,26046662-19742,00.html

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #757 on: September 09, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »

The Jordie comment was a throw away line. It's not his fault. In any case we can blame Wallace and Miller for many things but Miller was sacked in round 16 last year yet we still made the same stupid trade decisions in the post-season. Wallace was sacked after round 10 this year when we only had 2 wins on the board yet we ended up with 5.5 wins that cost us a priority pick. The direction and forward planning of the club comes also from higher up the chain. Melbourne didn't having a problem maufacturing just 4 wins. Schwarz was laughing all through the game today while commentating about what Melbourne was doing to tank. 

I would note that the run home for us was significantly easier than the first half of the season as far as teams played.  If all went perfect after Wallace got the sack and we played our absolute best we could have won 9 of the last 11 and made the finals.  I'm not saying we would have, all I'm saying is the run home was much easier.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #758 on: September 12, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »
Gambling watchdog wants please explain from AFL on tanking

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,26046662-19742,00.html

Dear Watchdog,

We tank in the AFL to get better draft picks.
Carlton, Collingwood, The Bulldogs and St Kilda have all implemented that novel strategy and currently find themselves in the play offs for the flag. 3 of those clubs finished in the Top 4.
That is all.

Kind Regards,
Every Club except Richmond.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #759 on: September 12, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »
lottery draft pick would be better and more exciting  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #760 on: September 13, 2009, 02:19:47 AM »
lottery draft pick would be better and more exciting  :thumbsup

NBA style

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #761 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:03 AM »
No doubt we'd find a way to lose that every year too...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #762 on: October 12, 2009, 01:49:57 PM »
Minister warns of tanking threat to gambling
Jason Dowling | October 12, 2009

PROOF that AFL teams were ''tanking'' - deliberately setting out to lose - could have dramatic consequences, the minister responsible for maintaining the integrity of gambling on sport in Victoria has warned.

''I have asked for an update from the VCGR [Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation] as to the AFL's response and considered position on this [tanking] and that's something I look forward to having a look at and its something I am sure I will be discussing with other ministers,'' Gaming Minister Tony Robinson said.

AFL head Andrew Demetriou has repeatedly denied that clubs deliberately underperform to gain better draft picks, putting him at odds with many - or even most - commentators and spectators.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/minister-warns-on-tanking/2009/10/11/1255195701659.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #763 on: October 12, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »
No doubt we'd find a way to lose that every year too...

Does not matter.

At least it would be more fun and fair.

When we come 9th we would still have a chance of getting Mike Jordan or LeBron James  ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #764 on: November 11, 2009, 03:07:38 PM »
AFL gets tank-free mark from watchdog
Jason Dowling, City Editor | November 11, 2009

IN NEWS that may surprise many AFL observers, Victoria's gambling watchdog has found no evidence that teams ''tank''.

The Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation wrote to the AFL in August seeking an explanation on whether teams were tanking - deliberately losing games to secure an advantage in the draft.

''We are satisfied that there is no evidence that tanking has occurred,'' the commission's executive commissioner, Peter Cohen, said yesterday.

The watchdog said it was satisfied ''with measures taken by the Australian Football League to ensure the integrity of football matches''.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/afl-gets-tankfree-mark/2009/11/10/1257615042560.html